OFFICIAL DISNEY+ STREAMING THREAD we're in the endgame now

Disney+ and ESPN+ to Run Starz Ads as Part of Agreement to Regain Streaming Rights of Disney Films

According to The Verge, Disney+ and ESPN+ will run ads for the premium cable channel as part of an agreement to regain streaming rights for Disney films. Disney previously licensed out films to be streamed by Starz, like Star Wars: The Force Awakens which as we have shared, will be available on Disney+.

A display ad will appear on the login page for Disney+ and ESPN+, based on photos seen by The Verge. The ad will appear on Disney+’s Android app and in browsers, the person said.

A Disney spokesperson confirmed that ads are part of a revised licensing deal with Starz that was made in order to have certain titles available on Disney+ at launch. Customers will see a display ad prompting them to sign up for Starz, but there aren’t any ads within the actual Disney+ or ESPN+ service once they sign in.

Sorry, Disney Fans: Lots of Your Favorite Movies Won't Be on Disney+ When It Launches

The Disney+ streaming service launches on November 12. And while the roster of new Disney+ TV shows and original movies are certainly enticing, one thing that makes the service so attractive to parents is its access to the library of more than 600 Disney films and TV shows going all the way back to the 1930s. Films that were previously in the Disney "vault" and unable to be purchased will suddenly become available again. And, while it used to cost more than $20 a pop to own the "diamond" Blu-ray edition of an animated classic (if you could get one), now parents will get all of the available movies for just $7/month.

There's just one big caveat for people who are signing up for Disney+ to get access to the complete library: Not everything will be available at launch — or ever. The Twitter account @NotOnDisneyPlus combed through all the old titles to come up with a list of what's going to be missing from the site. It identified four reasons why some movies would be skipped: antiquated or controversial depictions of non-white races and cultures (so no Song of the South), rights issues for movies Disney co-produced with another studio, deals with other streaming services that pre-date Disney+ that have to expire before they can be ported over to the new service, and movies that are too new to stream. Before you get your heart set on watching some forgotten Disney classic with your kids, scan this list of movies that, according to @NotOnDisneyPlus, will not be on Disney+.

Too-New Movies
If you thought that a Disney+ subscription would mean you'd get to cut the line and stream some of Disney's newest offerings ASAP, you'll be disappointed. Titles from earlier this year, including The Lion King, Toy Story 4, Aladdin, and Maleficent: Mistress of Evil aren't going to be there at launch (though they will stream on Disney+ eventually).

Movies Still Streaming Elsewhere
Just as @NotonDisneyPlus mentioned, some movies are still tangled up in other streaming services, and those agreements have to expire before they can be moved over to Disney+. For example, Mary Poppins Returns, The Nutcracker and the Four Realms, Christopher Robin, and A Wrinkle in Time are still all streaming on Netflix.

Some Disney Animated Films
It's not just the live-action movies, either, that are streaming elsewhere. Animated films like Ralph Breaks the Internet, Planes, Planes Fire & Rescue, Frankenweenie, Mars Needs Moms, and Tarzan are split between Netflix and Hulu.

Some Pixar Films
What about companies that Disney owns, like Pixar? Starting with Toy Story 4, all of the Pixar movies will be on Disney+ going forward. But the ones that are still lingering elsewhere include Coco, The Incredibles 2, and Up.

Disney Live-Action/CG Remakes

The most recent live-action/CG remake to hit the service will be 2019's Dumbo, but some of the ones before that will be missing. If you're in the mood for live-action Beauty and the Beast, Cinderella, The Jungle Book, or the first Maleficent, don't go looking for them on Disney+.

Disney Live-Action
Of course, Disney's more adult-oriented movies were never going to be the biggest draw for Disney+ users. Still, it seems worth noting that older-skewing films like McFarland, USA; Million Dollar Arm; and Old Dogs won't be there. Even more teen/kid live-action movies, like Tomorrowland, Into the Woods, The Odd Life of Timothy Green, or Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day won't be on the service, either.

Action/Adventure/Fantasy Movies
In the first half of this decade, Disney was all-in on action/adventure and fantasy movies. It was a boon for fans of epic storytelling, but, sadly, one that won't be repeated on Disney+. Movies like The Lone Ranger, John Carter, Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales, The Sorcerer's Apprentice, The Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, Alice Through the Looking Glass, and Oz the Great and Powerful will have to be sought elsewhere.

Disneynature Films
Around Earth Day, like clockwork, Disney offers an inside look into some of the most beloved animals on the planet, but sadly Disneynature films like Penguins, Expedition China, Ghost of the Mountains, Growing Up Wild, Monkey Kingdom, Wings of Life, and Oceans won't be on Disney+. There will be other conservation-themed series made by National Geographic that might scratch the same itch, though.

'90s Favorites
Sorry, Ducks fans: The Mighty Ducks franchise won't be available. Other '90s live-action faves that are missing from the library include Homeward Bound, Cool Runnings, Angels in the Outfield, The Big Green, George of the Jungle, and the Air Bud movies. Hopefully, you still have your old VHS tapes (and a VCR to play them on).

'80s Video-Store Classics (and Movies Even Older Than That)
Speaking of VHS, there are those old movies that you probably only saw if your local video store had an old copy or you managed to tape off TV — movies from the '80s or older. Sadly, Disney+ will not make these rare-to-begin-with movies more available: Watcher in the Woods, Something Wicked This Way Comes, Dragonslayer, Condorman, Moon Pilot, Son of Flubber, or Charlie the Lonesome Cougar. You'll have to hunt around on other streaming services — or even scour tag sales — for those.

not much there that i am too sad about not getting that we will eventually get in time plus i have some in 4k like coco that i can pop in anytime i want

but i do watch Mighty Ducks (trilogy) and Cool Runnings everytime its on cable so those would have been cool additions

Glad to see Endgame will be added on release day. I hope its the 4k version.

I was waiting for the big catch along those lines, but I was expecting more popular titles to be on that list for the initial launch. Not seeing The Mighty Ducks trilogy stings a little bit, even though I still have the box set.

Does anyone know if there's a bundle with no commercial version of hulu

Not yet, only going to be the limited ads version first.

I was waiting for the big catch along those lines, but I was expecting more popular titles to be on that list for the initial launch. Not seeing The Mighty Ducks trilogy stings a little bit, even though I still have the box set.

They'll be there, that article is quite a bit misleading

all the pixar films, live action remakes, and "movies still streaming elsewhere" listed will be available. Every other category may have one or two titles not currently available, but most of the titles will appear at launch. Just because it's not on the app right now, doesn't mean it won't be there at launch.

but is that reported or confirmed somewhere or just a guess?

something like coco that netflix still has I can see them not sharing to the competition and they even had to put some sort of starz ad in the app just so they can have access to some of the content locked over there

but is that reported or confirmed somewhere or just a guess?

something like coco that netflix still has I can see them not sharing to the competition and they even had to put some sort of starz ad in the app just so they can have access to some of the content locked over there

def not a guess, anyone testing it in the NL could confirm it

(source: I work on the product lol)

Back
Top Bottom