Official Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Marcos Maidana II (On Showtime PPV 8PM ET) Fight Thread.

Let's keep all the discussion/banter/stupidity in here and not flood the boxing thread.

As a reminder, don't ask for links or you'll get banned and this will get locked.

Also, this PPV starts at 8PM ET instead of the normal 9PM ET.

Here is the full schedule:

At Las Vegas (Showtime PPV): Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Marcos Maidana, rematch, 12 rounds, for Mayweather's WBC/WBA welterweight title and Mayweather's WBC junior middleweight title; Leo Santa Cruz vs. Manuel Roman, 12 rounds, for Santa Cruz's WBC junior featherweight title; Miguel Vazquez vs. Mickey Bey, 12 rounds, for Vazquez's IBF lightweight title; Alfredo Angulo vs. James De La Rosa, 10 rounds, middleweights; John Molina Jr. vs. Humberto Soto, 10 rounds, junior welterweights; Andrew Tabiti vs. Caleb Grummet, 6 rounds, cruiserweights; Damian Sosa vs. Armando Lopes, 6 rounds, junior welterweights; Junior Benjamin vs. Alim Jumakhonov, 4 rounds, featherweights; Fabian Maidana vs. Jared Teer, 4 rounds, welterweights; Kevin Newman vs. Shakee Williamson, 4 rounds, super middleweights

Five keys for Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Fresh off his closest victory in 12 years, pound-for-pound king Floyd Mayweather Jr. enters just the second rematch of his career on Saturday.

Mayweather-Maidana II
Where: MGM Grand Garden Arena, Las Vegas
When: Saturday, 8 p.m. ET
TV: Showtime PPV

Mayweather (46-0, 26 KOs) faces Marcos Maidana at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas (Showtime PPV, 8 p.m. ET) in a rematch of their May showdown, which Mayweather won by majority decision.

Maidana (35-4, 31 KOs), who came surprisingly close to solving Mayweather's riddle, will need to amp up the pressure even more in order to get a victory in the rematch.

Should Mayweather, 37, hope for a second straight victory against the Argentine slugger, he should follow these keys to victory:

Wide-open spaces
0It's no secret that Mayweather does his best work in the center of the ring, where his advantages in speed and technique are better showcased. Against Maidana in the first fight, he found himself cornered or trapped against the ropes more often than just about anyone anticipated. Regardless of the reasons why it happened, Mayweather made clear midfight adjustments to limit such occurrences in the second half of the fight. He should have a much easier time in the rematch if he prepares for a track meet and circles away from Maidana. Utilizing his lead right hand will be a key for Mayweather to intercept Maidana's advances.
Keep calm and counter on
1Mayweather has 12 full rounds under his belt dealing with Maidana's awkward rhythm and unorthodox punching angles. But despite surprising Mayweather early with corkscrew right hands and helicopter hooks, Maidana was rarely able to land flush to Mayweather's head as the fight progressed. Floyd did well while under attack to keep his composure and he'll be much more comfortable in the rematch identifying the punches if he remains calm and looks to counter.
Jab to the body
0A distinct advantage in speed allows Mayweather, although being a natural counterpuncher, to get off first against Maidana whenever he needs to. Utilizing his quick jab to the body will be a major factor for Mayweather to avoid finding himself trapped in the rematch. While Maidana is a straight-ahead fighter who never relents in his pursuit, Mayweather was able to offset his rhythm in their first fight by touching him downstairs and forcing him to reset. Much of Maidana's success is built upon volume punching and anything Mayweather can do to curb that will help him in the long run.
Play to your strengths
0Mayweather has preserved himself remarkably well for a fighter who is 37. He's reaping the benefits of a life spent devoted year-round to his craft. But one of these days his advanced age will show itself in the ring. In fact, some question whether it already has, which might explain why Maidana was so competitive in the first fight. Maybe it was simply that Mayweather took his opponent lightly and was caught off guard by Maidana's relentless and awkward style. Either way, "Money" should avoid taking any chances in the rematch and would be smart to focus exclusively on boxing. Attempting to stand and trade in order to make a statement might sound enticing, but Floyd's safety-first style has gone a long way in helping him hold off Father Time.
Eyes on the prize
1It's fair to at least suggest that Mayweather wasn't himself in the buildup to their first fight. He was emotional in many of his public appearances during fight week and often referred to his career in the past tense. He was also dealing with the aftermath of a very public breakup with his ex-fiancée Shantel Jackson. How much did that affect his performance? You can draw your own conclusions. But drama has continued to follow Floyd entering the rematch, including a social media feud with former confidant 50 Cent. Mayweather needs to focus on giving Maidana his full attention on Saturday despite what is going on around him.

Five keys for Marcos Maidana.

Argentine slugger Marcos Maidana was the driving force behind Floyd Mayweather Jr. producing one of the most exciting fights of his career when the two met for the first time in May.

Mayweather-Maidana II

But despite pushing the pound-for-pound king to the limit in Mayweather's toughest fight in 12 years, Maidana (35-4, 31 KOs) was unable to pull off the upset despite coming so close. His performance, however, created enough demand for a rematch that Mayweather (46-0, 26 KOs) agreed to a second fight for just the second time in his career.

Maidana, 31, will get his shot at redemption when he faces Mayweather in Saturday's rematch at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas (Showtime PPV, 8 p.m. ET).

Does the exciting fighter have enough in the tank to hand Mayweather, 37, the first defeat of his career? It wouldn't hurt his chances if he considered these keys to victory:

Even more pressure
0It might seem ridiculous to ask more of Maidana in this area after he relentlessly stalked Mayweather in a way no other fighter outside of Jose Luis Castillo has been able to do. But clearly the more intense Maidana's pressure was in their first fight, the more effective he became in cornering Mayweather and preventing him from taking the offensive. Maidana has talked about coming in leaner for the rematch and increasing his volume of punches thrown in favor of setting up one big shot. Taking his foot off the gas -- even a little -- will allow Mayweather room to make his adjustments. Maidana needs to enter in the best shape of his career with a willingness to empty the tank each and every round.
Jab your way in
1As much as Maidana had success cornering Mayweather and mauling him with wild punches from unpredictable angles, he had little success hitting Floyd flush to the face. Mayweather should have an easier time picking up Maidana's frenetic rhythm in the rematch with 12 rounds of experience in his back pocket. Maidana likely won't be able to take as much advantage of dirty tactics this time around either after a change in referees from Tony Weeks to Kenny Bayless. All of these factors lead back to Maidana's heavy jab, which he didn't throw often enough in their first fight, as being crucial to his success. "Chino" has a way of disguising it well and when he crouches down low and releases it from an unorthodox position. He should use it as much as a weapon as he should to set up his right hand over the top.
Hit what's open
0Maidana found out first-hand how difficult it is for any opponent to hit Mayweather clean to the head with more than one punch. Simply put, there's a reason why Floyd has been able to remain on top for so long. But Mayweather's ability to preserve himself upstairs does open up room for his opponents to land to the body, provided they can catch him. Thanks to his constant pressure, Maidana is the right type of fighter. After proving able to take Mayweather's best shots in the first fight, Maidana shouldn't hesitate to drop his hands and go for broke with hard hooks downstairs. It could pay major dividends by slowing down Mayweather's legs late in the fight.
Straighten things out (just a bit)
0Mayweather is an absolute master at figuring out his opponents' style and using his advantages in speed, smarts and technique to neutralize their best weapon. So it's fair to argue that a great deal of Maidana's success against Mayweather was due to his unorthodox style, which features looping punches thrown from unthinkable angles. It would appear asking Maidana to refine his style would make him more of an ordinary fighter, playing directly into Mayweather's hands. Despite trainer Robert Garcia's success in helping Maidana use his raw qualities to his advantage, a commitment to mixing in straighter shots in key moments could go a long way toward surprising Mayweather with a big punch.
Throw caution to the wind
1Maidana is at his absolute best when he fights like there is no tomorrow. It has gone a long way in making him one of the most fan-friendly fighters of this decade. He gets the most out of his ability, fights at a terrifying pace and doesn't shrink on the big stage. But as good as he performed in the first fight against Mayweather, the odds are against him duplicating that effort in the rematch thanks to a variety of factors. To overcome that, Maidana will need to leave it all in the ring and take as many chances as he needs to pull off the upset. Only one other fighter in Mayweather's 18-year career has been given a second chance at defeating him. Maidana needs to be sure he has no regrets of any kind when the final bell is rung on Saturday.

Time to get right Saturday night.  PBF by wide UD.  I expect a lot of jabs and movement from Floyd as well as crisp, well-timed counter left hooks upstairs and to the midsection.

Last edited:
Dudes at my job been talking about this fight I really don't give one **** about it. It's gonna be the same story, Floyd is gonna play with him then win by decision.

Maidana looks to build on first fight.

LAS VEGAS -- On May 3, former two-division world titleholder Marcos Maidana came as close to becoming the first man to defeat pound-for-pound king Floyd Mayweather Jr. as anyone has in more than a decade, since he escaped with a decision win to claim the lightweight championship against Jose Luis Castillo in their first meeting in 2002.

Maidana, the Argentine slugger, swung for the fences with hard, looping right hands and did his share of damage against Mayweather, one of the great defensive fighters in boxing history, who was having a bad night on defense. For six rounds of their welterweight unification fight, Maidana looked like he might do the unthinkable: beat the best fighter in the world. But Mayweather adjusted, found his distance, shored up his defense and outboxed a tiring Maidana during the second half of the fight to win a majority decision on scores of 117-111, 116-112 and 114-114.

Mayweather-Maidana II
TV lineup for the Mayweather Promotions and Golden Boy Promotions "Mayhem" card Saturday night (Showtime PPV, 8 ET) at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas:

• Welterweights: Floyd Mayweather Jr. (46-0, 26 KOs) vs. Marcos Maidana (35-4, 31 KOs), rematch, 12 rounds, for Mayweather's welterweight and junior middleweight titles

• Junior featherweights: Leo Santa Cruz (27-0-1, 15 KOs) vs. Manuel Roman (17-2-3, 6 KOs), 12 rounds, for Santa Cruz's title

• Lightweights: Miguel Vazquez (34-3, 13 KOs) vs. Mickey Bey (20-1-1, 10 KOs), 12 rounds, for Vazquez's title

• Middleweights: Alfredo Angulo (22-4, 18 KOs) vs. James De La Rosa (22-2, 13 KOs), 10 rounds

• Junior welterweights: John Molina Jr. (27-4, 22 KOs) vs. Humberto Soto (64-8-2, 35 KOs), 10 rounds*

* Airs on regular Showtime (7 p.m. ET)

Now, four months later, with Mayweather having agreed to the second rematch of his career, Maidana has the opportunity to see if he can be the one to make the adjustments and close the deal this time around when they meet for Mayweather's welterweight and junior middleweight titles on Saturday (Showtime PPV, 8 p.m. ET) at the MGM Grand Garden Arena.

"I just know that I have to win. I'm focused on winning," Maidana said through a translator at Wednesday's final news conference. "I am going to take out any doubts in my mind about the first fight. I've adjusted now and I think I'll be ready. I noticed that being aggressive and attacking him is what makes him uncomfortable.

"I think I did get tired in the first fight. I have to pace myself a little better and this time around I will be better. If the knockout comes, great, but I'm ready to go the distance, as well. I'm ready to make history."

Said Robert Garcia, Maidana's trainer, "All games aside, we're ready for this fight. We've prepared like never before. We know it's not an easy fight but it's not impossible, either."

Mayweather said too much was made of his difficult start and that, in the end, he felt that he won nine of the 12 rounds, but because nobody is used to seeing him have any difficulties, people thought the fight was closer and more competitive than it really was.

"The first few rounds were exciting last time and then I turned it around in the second half," the 37-year-old Mayweather said. "I expect to throw more combinations this time. I can't say if the rematch will be easier. I won the first fight, [so] it's up to him to change. The champ can make adjustments and I can be especially smart about it. Nobody can solve the May-Vinci code.

"I always find a way. Whether I am 26 or 37, I still find the way to win. I guess when you win all 12 rounds, or 10-plus rounds so many times, fans and the media get spoiled. The bar is set so high."

If Maidana can point to one thing about the first fight that is different from Saturday's fight -- and beneficial to him -- it's that he had only a five-week training camp for the fight in May instead of the usual full eight weeks he has spent preparing for the rematch.

The reason training camp was so short for the first fight was because Maidana stayed in Argentina longer than usual before heading to Garcia's gym in Oxnard, California, because his wife was having a baby. That was also why there was no media tour for the first fight.

With a full training camp this time around, Maidana and Garcia believe it will be a benefit and that Maidana won't fade the way he did in May.

[+] EnlargeMarcos Maidana and Floyd Mayweather Jr.
Harry How/Getty Images
Marcos Maidana used constant pressure to put Floyd Mayweather Jr. on his heels during the first half of their May bout.
"We had about five weeks for the first fight and even though 'Chino' came in already semi in shape, it was still not the same," Garcia said. "This time he came here nine weeks before the fight, since we started training full camp. We had a good eight weeks of training, so I think that it's going to make a big difference. Five weeks compared to eight weeks of training makes a big difference for this type of fight, and I think with everything that he's doing and learning new things, they're going to see a different fight this time.

"Marcos dominated for half the fight last time before he slowed down a little and sort of faded. He didn't quite have the energy to do what he wanted for 12 rounds. Chino gained a lot of confidence in the first fight. That's a big plus going into the rematch. He feels stronger, mentally and physically. He's ready to do what he couldn't quite do last time and that's fight his fight for 12 rounds.''

Said Maidana, "This time around I'm training to win. I know what to expect. I know Mayweather now, his style, what he brings to the table. I'm coming to win. I have more concentration, no excuses whatsoever, and adequate time."

Maidana (35-4, 31 KOs), 31, a former welterweight and junior welterweight titleholder, has never had a rematch in his 10-year professional career and believes that the first fight will be more of a benefit to him than it will be to five-division champion Mayweather (46-0, 26 KOs).

"I think it's an advantage for me. It might be a little bit of an advantage for him, but I think it benefits me more having a rematch with him," Maidana said. "I'm able to correct the mistakes I made in the first fight and take advantage of his mistakes. Even though he makes very few mistakes I already know what they are, and I think I can exploit that and take advantage of them."

When Mayweather fought Castillo the first time, many thought that Castillo won the fight. It was very close and competitive. In the immediate rematch eight months later, Mayweather won another decision, but in much easier fashion.

Making The Rounds
Dan Rafael and Showtime analyst Al Bernstein break down the key factors for Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Marcos Maidana heading into Saturday's rematch.

Garcia said that is not going to be the case Saturday.

"Mayweather has only done one rematch and, obviously, everybody seen he easily outboxed Castillo. But it's a big difference, Castillo's style to Maidana's style," he said. "Maidana is going to come in with an aggressive style that nobody, not even the best boxer can get away with, and Mayweather's not going to get away with it.

"Maidana is going to pressure, and he's going to be the fighter that everybody wants to see. I think in this case the rematch benefits us because Mayweather can't do much more different things. We can, and we are, and the rematch benefits us."

Besides being in better condition because of the longer training camp, Maidana said finding the right distance is key. Sometimes in the first fight -- and in many of his fights -- he crowded Mayweather too much, which didn't allow him to get full leverage on his heavy punches.

"The first fight I think that my attack, the pressure, was very good, but I didn't do well with my distance control," Maidana said. "I think I smothered a lot of my punches, I wasn't able to really catch him with good solid shots, being able to extend my punches, and that's one of the things that I'm working on.

"Because I smothered my punches I don't really think I ever hurt him, but this time around if I get him with good solid shots, work my distance control, I think I can hurt him."

Maidana, an anything-goes fighter.

"Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference."
--Winston Churchill

Marcos Maidana looked pretty spiffy as he stood behind the podium at the final news conference prior to his first fight with Floyd Mayweather Jr. last May. He was wearing a dark, tuxedo-style jacket and matching bow tie, topped off with a pair of designer sunglasses. If you didn't know better, you might think he was a maître d' at a ritzy restaurant.

All Access: Team Maidana
Three generations of the Garcia family get together to discuss strategy for Marcos Maidana ahead of Saturday's rematch with Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Maidana is a man of few words, and most of his brief comments, which were translated by trainer Robert Garcia, were perfunctory -- until he unleashed a zinger that said more about the Argentine tough guy than anything else he's ever uttered in public.

"I don't give a f--- about Mayweather," he said.

It was at that moment Mayweather should have realized he was in for an uncomfortable evening when they faced each other again, two days later, inside the ring at the MGM Grand Garden Arena. Maybe he did, maybe he didn't, but there's no doubt that Maidana meant what he said. Behind those sunglasses lurked the cold-blooded eyes of a predator.

Mayweather intimidates the vast majority of his opponents. They would never admit it, of course, but the aura of invincibility he's earned during an unbeaten career is almost as much a weapon as his extraordinary boxing skills. They find themselves unable to commit totally to the moment and never really give it a go. Not really. Not full throttle.

Maidana is made of different stuff, a hard man not easily daunted, not even by boxing's pound-for-pound king. He displays a Roberto Duran-like disdain for opponents, backed up by the kind of obstinate determination that enabled him to survive three knockdowns before rallying from the brink to stop previously undefeated Victor Ortiz.

Maidana's rousing performance against Ortiz, in his U.S. debut, resonated with a lot of North America fans, and subsequent fights have only reinforced his reputation as a certified badass. Even his decision loss to Amir Khan, in which Maidana came off the floor to have Khan in desperate trouble down the stretch, strengthened his brand.

So what if he lost? He was a real fighter with big-time guts, and that breed will always find an audience.

[+] EnlargeMaidana-Broner-Ramon Cairo
Ramon Cairo for ESPN
After his destruction of Adrien Broner, welterweight titlist Marcos Maidana, right, became a household name in the U.S.
Maidana's popularity went viral when he bum-rushed Mayweather wannabe Adrian Broner into his first professional defeat. Granted, Broner isn't Mayweather -- not even close. But "The Problem's" caricature of his role model was close enough to attract more attention than merited.

That changed, of course, when "El Chino" gave him a rude introduction to prize fighting on a world-class level.

The roots of Maidana's uncompromising attitude are buried deep in the soil of his native land. His father worked on a ranch near the tiny town of Margarita in the Province of Santa Fe, where Maidana grew up hunting, fishing and riding horses, pastimes he still enjoys.

"He likes guns, horses and books about old-time outside-of-the-law characters, such as 'Martin Fierro,'" said ESPN Deportes' Carlos Irusta, who has known Maidana since his days as an amateur.

"Martín Fierro," written by José Hernández in the 1870s, is an epic poem about an impoverished gaucho who becomes a fugitive. This classic of Argentine literature evokes the harshness of rural pampas life and highlights the gaucho's role in winning Argentina's freedom from Spain and establishing a national identity.

Two centuries ago Maidana would probably have been a man much like the fictitious Fierro -- a gaucho trapped between the brutality of colonial oppression and the tragedy of the indigenous people, fighting for his place in the world. It was, however, a modern Argentine hero that inspired Maidana and set him on a course that eventually led to Las Vegas and seven-figure paydays.

"I will be like Carlos Monzon," Maidana repeatedly told his father when he was a kid, still fighting in the streets.

Monzon (who also hailed from the Province of Santa Fe) was one of the greatest middleweights of all time, but he also had a dark side. In 1989, after retiring still champion in 1977, he was convicted of killing his girlfriend, Alicia Muniz, and incarcerated until he died in 1995.

[+] EnlargeCarlos Monzon
AP Photo
Marcos Maidana told his father he wanted to be like his Argentine countryman Carlos Monzon (right), one of the best middleweight fighters of his generation.
If there is a link between Martín Fierro, Carlos Monzon and Marcos René Maidana beyond geography, it is the poverty from which they emerged and their willingness to do whatever it took to improve their lot.

While Maidana's official bio makes no mention of it, Garcia indicated during an interview with Showtime contributor Mark Kriegel that he believes Maidana has spent time behind bars. He spoke of the fighter's "jail tattoos," one of which is an illustration of a revolver on the right side of his torso. Garcia also claimed that the scar in the middle of Maidana's back was the result of a bullet wound.

"Marcos Maidana is not afraid of anybody," Garcia said. "He fought guys with guns. Why would he be afraid of Floyd Mayweather?"

Regardless of what did or didn't happen in the past, there is no denying that Maidana is an anything-goes fighter. He butted open a cut over Mayweather's right eye, pushed him through the ropes, repeatedly hit below the belt, rabbit punched, twisted his arm and also attempted to knee him in the groin -- a medley of fouls unlike anything Mayweather had ever experienced before.

But if Maidana figured fighting that way was his best chance of winning that was what he would do. Showtime's cameras even caught Garcia encouraging Maidana between rounds to "fight dirty."

Mayweather and his camp have carped about Maidana's roughhouse tactics throughout the buildup to Saturday's rematch (Showtime pay-per-view, 8 p.m. ET), and at one point Floyd Mayweather Sr. advised his son against fighting Maidana a second time.

"Sometimes it's best to let things go -- a man who fights like that, especially," he warned. "The guy is just a dirty fighter and anything can happen with a fight like that."

Mayweather-Maidana II

Floyd Jr. took the match anyway and said he expected Maidana to be "once again extremely dirty and wild." To which Maidana countered by saying, "It's time for him to stop crying and fight." A revealing tête-à-tête that says a lot about their contrasting attitudes toward their profession.

Fans tend to have a love-hate relationship with fighters who break the rules on a consistent basis. Generally speaking, it is a matter of whose ox is being gored. Mayweather supporters were unhappy with Maidana's win-at-any-cost approach, while those yearning to see Mayweather humbled couldn't have cared less how "El Chino" got the job done. It's just a matter of how you look at it.

""Being a dirty fighter is not the best of compliments, but then again, we have our own set of values," said former welterweight champion Fritzie Zivic, who reveled in his reputation as a dirty fighter. "I'd give 'em the head, choke 'em, hit 'em in the balls ... you're fighting, not playing the piano, you know."

It would be a shock if Maidana didn't again do his best to rough up Mayweather any way he can. That's just who he is, and a fighter has to be true to himself. Unless I've missed my guess, Mayweather would be well advised to gird his loins with a titanium cup for this one -- because Maidana still doesn't give a f---.

Floyd shocks the world and gets a knock out win
Jeez, is that the avy Chester chose?

laugh.gif
mean.gif

im as big of a floyd fan as anyone but i think this will be a close fight...i hope thats its a good fight. I dont want a walk in the park.

Won't be at the fight or watching it. Overtime FTW!

"Annnndddd here comes the ***-train!" :smokin

Last edited:
might hit up the local strip club and catch the fight. what time is the main event?

Should be around 11ET.

Another reminder, everything starts an hour earlier with this PPV. First televised PPV fight is at 8PM ET.

Finally finished watching MMI, wasn't bad... been a min. since last seeing May in such a close fight(imo it was a close fight)

Hope to see him a lil sharper this time around, his punches seemed a little wider than usual down the stretch of that fight. He could beat ol' boy easy but I hope he doesn't take the laxed position and use this fight to show that he is still sharp, and can be a threat to anyone of these top tier fighters comin up

Back
Top Bottom