OFFICIAL HOCKEY THREAD: NHL, KHL, NCAA, IIHL

Kane killing time, he wants that mil :lol:

I really like the shift time trackers. With all the fluid movement off line changes it’s nice to know how long they’ve been on and who’s ready to come off

Dubnyk mvp

Man how bout these Flyers doe? 7 gm win streak out of nowhere

Carter Hart man gonna be a legend in philly if he can keep this up lol

mind blowing noone is talking bout Carter Hart :nthat:

NT jinx undefeated :lol:

ESPN mock draft 1.0

Sens goofd big time :smh: need the Kings to win the lottery and start the rebuild soon good run but it’s painfully obvious that it’s over. #loseforhughes

We're still about four months away from the 2019 NHL draft, but as the trade deadline nears and sellers are starting to take an honest look at acquiring first-round draft picks, this mock draft can give you an early indication of how things could go on June 21 and 22 in Vancouver, British Columbia.

As always, the mock draft is a completely separate entity from my NHL draft rankings, focusing more on where industry opinions are on certain players, as well as teams' draft tendencies and at least a little bit of need-based thinking that goes into this. While teams will always take the best player available, need bias can sometimes trickle into the rankings. It's important to remember that a lot can change between now and midsummer, although Jack Hughes remains atop most boards.

Simply going off of reverse order of the standings as of Sunday, Feb. 17, here's what the first round could potentially look like based on the here and now.

Top 50 rankings
ePlus-16x11.png
| Race for No. 1

greyline.png
i

1. Colorado Avalanche (via Ottawa Senators)
Jack Hughes, C, U.S. National U18 Team (NTDP)

Ottawa's struggles could very well be Colorado's major gain. Can you imagine a one-two punch of Nathan MacKinnon and Hughes? Opposing teams sure won't want to. Those are two highly skilled and especially fast centers.

i

2. Los Angeles Kings
Kaapo Kakko, LW, TPS Turku (Liiga)

The Kings need help in a lot of ways. Adding another dynamic Finn to a prospect pool that already includes the speedy Rasmus Kupari could help turn the forward group around pretty quickly. Kakko could be a top-line winger as early as next season.

i

3. Edmonton Oilers

Dylan Cozens, C/W, Lethbridge Hurricanes (WHL)

I could see the Oilers grabbing a defenseman in this slot, but I think it would be hard to pass up Cozens, who can fan out to the wing or provide extra center depth. He is an explosive skater and has good offensive tools.

i

4. Detroit Red Wings
Vasili Podkolzin, RW, SKA (MHL)

2019 NHL draft rankings: Chris Peters' Top 50 prospects
It's Jack Hughes and Kaapo Kakko leading the way, but how is the rest of the 2019 class shaping up? We rank the top 50 prospects for June's draft.

There's always a little bit of risk in selecting Russian players who aren't already in North America, given the competition with their own KHL clubs. But while the Red Wings need help soon, I don't think they could afford to pass on a potential elite winger who does so many things well and is an exceptional offensive threat.

i

5. New Jersey Devils
Bowen Byram, D, Vancouver Giants (WHL)

The Devils have a lot of good options in this slot, but getting an exceptional two-way defenseman would be wise. Byram has No. 1 potential.

i

6. Anaheim Ducks
Kirby Dach, C, Saskatoon Blades (WHL)

A big, right-shot centerman with exceptional playmaking abilities, Dach could be the heir apparent to Ryan Getzlaf as this team's future No. 1 center.

i

7. Chicago Blackhawks
Trevor Zegras, C/W, U.S. National U18 Team (NTDP)

The Blackhawks are always looking at high-end skill players in the early rounds, and Zegras has a ton of skill. He has played both at center and on the wing this season, and he comes with tremendous playmaking skills and good speed.

i

8. Colorado Avalanche
Matthew Boldy, LW, U.S. National U18 Team (NTDP)

If you've got a great center already with Hughes at the top of the draft, why not nab one of the more talented wings in the class with the Avs' second pick in the top 10? Boldy is a bigger forward with crafty, creative puck skills and a great shot.

i

9. Arizona Coyotes
Peyton Krebs, C, Kootenay Ice (WHL)

The Coyotes have a lot of options with this pick, but I could see them being enamored with the play-driving skill that Krebs possesses. He is an excellent playmaker with elite vision, and he would fit right into the skilled group Arizona is putting together.

i

10. New York Rangers
Alex Turcotte, C, U.S. National U18 Team (NTDP)

The Blueshirts already have added some tremendous young centers to their group, but I think Turcotte could prove to be the best of the bunch, if he's still available when they are on the clock. He has good two-way skills but trends toward the offensive side. His hockey sense is off the charts.

Florida Panthers[/paste:font]
Philip Broberg, D, AIK (Allsvenskan)

I really like Florida's system, but it's pretty light on the blue line. Broberg is a high-upside defenseman who is one of the draft's best skaters. If you can't get Byram in this slot, I think Broberg would be a reasonable consolation prize.

i

12. Vancouver Canucks
Ryan Suzuki, C, Barrie Colts (OHL)

The Canucks have two of the elite shooters under the age of 23 in the NHL right now in Brock Boeser and Elias Pettersson. Getting a guy like Suzuki would add a nice complementary center to Bo Horvat and give them a player who prefers to distribute the puck.

i

13. Minnesota Wild
Arthur Kaliyev, LW, Hamilton Bulldogs (OHL)

The Wild's prospect pool has a lot of safe, mid-tier prospects, aside from Russian sensation Kirill Kaprizov. They could really use a jolt, and while I think there's some risk in Kaliyev's selection here, the home run potential is there. He is a scoring machine in the OHL right now.

i

14. Philadelphia Flyers
Raphael Lavoie, C, Halifax Mooseheads (QMJHL)

Lavoie would fit pretty well with the Flyers' identity, bringing some speed and tenacity up front while also showcasing enough skill to be a legitimate offensive threat.

i

15. Buffalo Sabres (via St. Louis Blues)
Victor Soderstrom, D, Brynas (SHL)

A solid complementary defenseman to Rasmus Dahlin, Soderstrom is an intelligent right-shot blueliner who is playing a significant role in Sweden's top pro league. With a surplus of picks, nabbing the best available defenseman would be a coup for the Sabres here.

i

16. Dallas Stars
Moritz Seider, D, Mannheim (DEL)

The Stars so rarely stick with convention when they're picking in the first round, and while I think Seider carries some risk, I don't think it would be a reach to nab him here. The big German has a lot of solid puck-moving skills, and he could potentially go straight to the AHL next season.

i

17. Buffalo Sabres
Cole Caufield, RW, U.S. National U18 Team (NTDP)

I'm really high on Caufield, but I know there are scouts still concerned with his size (5-foot-7, 155 pounds). But the Sabres' multitude of first-rounders gives them a little more freedom to take a chance on a medium-risk, high-reward player who I think will be a legitimate goal-scoring threat at the NHL level.

i

18. Vegas Golden Knights
Spencer Knight, G, U.S. National U18 Team (NTDP)

The Golden Knights have done a phenomenal job drafting over the past two years. They've got some really intriguing prospects, but they don't yet have a goalie with starter potential in their pipeline. And Knight is the best goalie in this draft.

i

19. Carolina Hurricanes
Alex Newhook, C, Victoria Grizzlies (BCHL)

Newhook's stock has fluctuated this season, but I think the Canes would be wise to add some more high-end skill. Newhook is a really solid skater with creativity, and he is headed to Boston College, where he could marinate a bit longer.

i

20. Montreal Canadiens
Thomas Harley, D, Mississauga Steelheads (OHL)

The Habs went heavy on forwards last year, adding a big dose of skill. They can do the same on the point with the offensive-minded Harley, who at 6-foot-3 has good size and mobility. His stock has risen a lot this season, so he might not be available in this slot.

Pittsburgh Penguins[/paste:font]
Brett Leason, C, Prince Albert Raiders (WHL)

The Pens don't have much prospect depth, and picking in this slot doesn't often lead to short-term help. This year is different, however. I think the third-year-eligible Leason has taken such strides in his development that he might be able to give the Pens a prospect with a shorter NHL timeline.

i

22. Columbus Blue Jackets
Cam York, D, U.S. National U18 Team (NTDP)

This is the range where we could see a real run on defensemen. York is an offensive-minded blueliner who would nicely slot in behind the talented Zach Werenski and Seth Jones, both of whom also trained at the NTDP.

i

23. Washington Capitals
Matthew Robertson, D, Edmonton Oil Kings (WHL)

The Caps seem to love their WHL defensemen, and they have gone to that well often. This time it's a best-player-available situation, as Robertson has been highly regarded for his athleticism and skating, as well as his two-way skills.

i

24. Nashville Predators
Philip Tomasino, C, Niagara IceDogs (OHL)

The Preds don't have a ton of depth in their prospect pool, but a player like Tomasino, who has some separation skill and is an excellent skater, would be a fantastic addition with this pick. His stock continues to rise as he plays on one of the more talented teams in the OHL this season.

i

25. Los Angeles Kings (via Toronto Maple Leafs)
Nolan Foote, LW, Kelowna Rockets (WHL)

The Kings could go back to their bread and butter here, getting a forward who plays a heavy game while also providing enough offense to potentially figure into a top-six role down the line. The son of Adam Foote moves pretty well for a big guy and has higher-end hockey sense.

i

26. Boston Bruins
Alex Vlasic, D, U.S. National U18 Team (NTDP)

The Bruins have a number of options at this point, but I think they would do well to continue building up their blue line. Vlasic still has some rounding out to do, but he has good mobility on top of a 6-foot-6, 200-pound frame. He also would be right under the B's noses at Boston University next season.

i

27. Winnipeg Jets
Nils Hoglander, LW, Rogle (SHL)

Assuming the Jets hang on to their first-rounder -- and it's looking less and less likely that they will -- the skill they can add with Hoglander would be particularly valuable in this range. He has a lot of creativity to make up for his lack of size (5-foot-9).

i

28. New York Islanders
Connor McMichael, C, London Knights (OHL)

The Islanders are quickly becoming a team that can play with some speed, and adding McMichael to the mix would certainly help. He is having a phenomenal season in the OHL and is one of the guys who is a threat shooting or passing.

i

29. Buffalo Sabres (via San Jose Sharks)
Samuel Poulin, RW, Sherbrooke Phoenix (QMJHL)

After going with a few of the undersized players earlier in the draft, the Sabres can beef up here without sacrificing too much skill. Poulin has good hands and some power elements in his game.

i

30. Calgary Flames
Nicholas Robertson, LW, Peterborough Petes (OHL)

With tenacity and skill, Robertson would be a nice addition in this range. He has a deadly release and great vision with an ability to make plays all over the ice.

i

31. Tampa Bay Lightning
Jakob Pelletier, LW, Moncton Wildcats (QMJHL)

The Lightning have had good luck with undersized scorers from the QMJHL, and Pelletier is putting up some killer numbers this season. He has some decent speed and a high motor that would fit right in with the Bolts.

Lol wild but man lightning are something serious. Flyers defense sucks balls

Hart faces 40 shots a game just about, wish they rested him last game instead but all good. He will bounce back

But deff was the NT jinx ahaha

Back
Top Bottom