~Official Incoming College Freshmen Tips~

Originally Posted by DOWNTOWN43

This is a thread for people to post tips for incoming college freshmen. I remember people dropping knowledge in the last one that really helped me my freshman year, so just trying to return the favor.

I'll start it off... feel free to add your own as well:

• when you get there, try to get as involved as possible. join clubs, play an intramural sport, go to events, and talk to as many people as you can.
  • have fun, but try to maintain a level head. don't wild out just because your parents aren't around for the first time. you might do things you'll regret in the future.
  • remember: education first. partying is cool from Thurs-Sun, but make sure you study HARD from Mon-Wed
  • make sure you pay attention and take tons of notes in your classes.
  • don't get a girlfriend first semester (or at all IMO)
  • speaking of girls, WRAP IT UP
    laugh.gif
  • food will be everywhere... feel free to enjoy it, but try to hit the gym at least a couple times a week. you don't want that freshman 15.
*!*!#% downtown, you said everything I was gonna say
laugh.gif
. Iguess I'll just highlight all the things I feel really need emphasis.^

About the girlfriend one, it could be a gift and a curse. It took away some of my homies on the floor, and some of them are still around just as much becausetheir girl is cool enough to hang with us. Hell, even I'm considering to take myself off the market right now.
ohwell.gif

Now that I had time to think about it a little more....
  • Get cool with your RA. It's not too uncommon in a place like mine to hear about RAs drinking WITH their floor. Sometimes at a place like UC Berkeley, you cant help it though. My friend got documented just for talking on her phone past quiet hours in the hall. That's how big of a loser-$!$ %%+!$**%* her RA is.
  • This might seem like common sense, but if you're a popular guy...hell if you're a regular Joe, do not ever bring your girl/potential girl with you to a party. I was snatched away in front of the girl I'm working on getting at by other chicks. I was lucky she's pacifistic but sometimes stuff like that leads to drama/violence.
  • Do not get on probation...of ANY sort. Academic probation for grades could stress you out AND set you behind because often it forces people to take easier classes that might not be as useful, so they don't progress as quickly as they want/should. I'm on probation for underage drinking and I can't get caught drinking again or else I'm getting kicked out. I do it anyway, but I'm real careful...trust me though, it's not as fun when you have to constantly watch your back...

Originally Posted by Dakingii

Watch what you eat. I've seen a lot of people blow up this year.
QFT. i met this one chick around when school started last september and i didnt see her again till like 2 weeks ago and the chick was huge. The unattractively type of huge
sick.gif

That's why I made sure I put that. I know this white girl who was thick in the hips but basically slim everywhere else. Now she looks like sheplays LB for the Steelers.

Originally Posted by Dakingii

DO NOT COMMUTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! unless there is a refund check in question (but even then it has to be $2000+)

Sorry but i had to emphasize that, i commuted my freshman year and was horrible. Everybody was already clicked up and its gonna be harder to make friends.

Watch what you eat. I've seen a lot of people blow up this year.
QFT. i met this one chick around when school started last september and i didnt see her again till like 2 weeks ago and the chick was huge. The unattractively type of huge
sick.gif

I lost weight in my first year, second year I'm rolly polly. I'd hit the gym if I ever had time
frown.gif

dont fall in love with the first chic you see.... there are thousands more where she came from
wink.gif

i remember in my freshmen year i was going crazy approaching many different women in the school
laugh.gif
smh.gif
horny young bastard I was

Decide early what you're there for. If you're just happy you got into college, by all means, chill, have fun, and just make sure you pass. If you wantto make a ton of money right after graduating, either starting doing tons of internships now or change your major to engineering. If you want to go to graduateschool, seek out advisers and get cracking on that GPA and research. Make sure you know your priorities. Otherwise you'll end up doing a little bit of thisand a little bit of that, but you won't have accomplished anything. I'm a senior right now about to graduate in May and so many people regret how theyspent their first 3 years in college. Start planning now.

Thanks for this.

I may be staying local (might be going to John Jay, NY heads know). Any different tips for staying local, seeing as it seems this thread is geared for thosewho are dorming.

No relationships, wrap it up, please SHOWER (so many dudes get bad habits started their freshman years and it carries from year to year... trust me... YNS)
Also, YNS if your room is a pigpen, girls hate that crap.
Focus, focus, focus... don't be like that d-bag from that college show on MTV... that dude is an idiot, you will know probably 10-15 people that do thattheir freshman year.
Meet as many people as possible... time to kick your social awkwardness or reluctance to the curb.
Don't walk around campus drunk or drive drunk... unless your school is really lax on drinking... I go to GMU, so... no.

- Ratemyprofessor.com will be your friend

- Don't allow the weather to dictate whether or not u go to class or not e.g. Don't get up, look outside ur window and say "Oh it's (insertbad weather here) I'll just lay back down

- Put your alarm clock away from you cause u'll keep hittin it and hittin it (
grin.gif
) and either miss class or be late

- If u can, try to select classes later in the day 11am> gives u time to wake up

- Sweats will also be ur friend, those and all the free tshirts ull acquire from freshman yr and ur whole college career. Very effective come finals week

- I can't stress enough the importance of leavin the females alone until its more convenient for U, not them

All I can think of at the time that hasn't already mentioned

find the biggest guy around and beat the %+@% out of him. so no one thinks they can %%# rape you.

Originally Posted by bkmac

Thanks for this.

I may be staying local (might be going to John Jay, NY heads know). Any different tips for staying local, seeing as it seems this thread is geared for those who are dorming.
Yea try to get involved in your school somehow. I know it's difficult for CUNY's but try and make the best of it.

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

Thanks for this.

I may be staying local (might be going to John Jay, NY heads know). Any different tips for staying local, seeing as it seems this thread is geared for those who are dorming.
Yea try to get involved in your school somehow. I know it's difficult for CUNY's but try and make the best of it.
Basically, if you're going to a CUNY, it would be smart for you to own a fake I.D., right? I figure it's "necessary" since therewill be parties, but more people going to bars/clubs since there aren't frat houses or anything like that.

Originally Posted by WallyHopp

treat your classes like a 9 to 5.

i found it harder to study 6-10pm. if you have classes 9 to 11. then a break til 12:30, then classes til 3:30. use those few hours to finish up any and all homework.. Free nights is where its at.. alot of people and myself included for awhile at least would waste away those "break hours" doing nothing.. get your work done by night break
This man speaks the truth. I didnt end up doing this till this semester.(second year) And boy do I feel a lot more confident going intoquizzes/test. I use to always go home during my break(11-3) and say i'll study after 6pm. That never happen.

Btw.
I hate to do this. But try your best to fill up your schedule. I notice I did a lot better when I took 15+ hrs than Less cause I find myself doing nothing allday. You would think you would find a lot more time to study, but you dont, you just find yourself doing a lot more sleeping. When you have more hrs, you learnto manage time and take advantage of your day more.

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

Thanks for this.

Basically, if you're going to a CUNY, it would be smart for you to own a fake I.D., right? I figure it's "necessary" since there will be parties, but more people going to bars/clubs since there aren't frat houses or anything like that.
Fake ID is a must wherever you go to college. Since you're staying in NY, try and get somebody's ID that looks like you. Most out of statefakes don't work.

Make a lot of friends during orientation. I made a lot, I had the first orientation too. But I didn't hang out with any of them after.. because I made ALOT more friends when I moved in.
Check out rush week for fraternities as well.. they might suit your interests. If you do decide to join a fraternity, don't overload your self withclasses. If you don't know how to manage your time or study well.. learn that quick or wait til spring to rush.
Go to parties, especially frat parties because they are always inviting. You'll find A LOOOT of girls. DO NOT be shy.. you'll meet people everywhere,they feel the same way as you being new and everything.

Oh, and study.. get a good GPA first quarter. Don't get lazy. AND GO TO TUTORING if you don't understand something, verrry helpful and you'll boostyour midterm grades by a lot.

this pops up every year, and i read it every year like im being shipped off to college.

avoid girlfriends, don't take studying TOO seriously, don't take anything for granted

Back
Top Bottom