Official Jeremy Lin Thread.

Way too much to read
laugh.gif

J-Lin that dude (can't win them all), can't front. really wish my Lakers had recognized the potential...We'd be undoubtedly the best team in the league with him...

hindsight 20/10......

J-Lin that dude (can't win them all), can't front. really wish my Lakers had recognized the potential...We'd be undoubtedly the best team in the league with him...

hindsight 20/10......

jeremy lin is like the taiwanese Tim tebow. humble and almost every interview hes giving praise to jesus christ
laugh.gif
he is the typical role model not just for taiwanese and chinese but for everybody..

jeremy lin is like the taiwanese Tim tebow. humble and almost every interview hes giving praise to jesus christ
laugh.gif
he is the typical role model not just for taiwanese and chinese but for everybody..

Originally Posted by teddy jam

EARLY this morning—for viewers in China—the New York Knicks of the new Taiwanese-American hero Jeremy Lin played against the Dallas Mavericks and with them China’s current standard-bearer in the NBA: the 7-foot-tall Yi Jianlian, a high draft pick who has proven a disappointment in America. Mr Yi's Mavericks lost the game, 104-97, but the bigger loser was Chinese soft power.

Mr Lin has quickly amassed a huge following among Chinese basketball fans (and this country does love basketball). This poses a bit of a conundrum for Chinese authorities for a number of reasons. The most obvious is that Mr Lin is an American who is proudly of Taiwanese descent, which would seem to complicate China’s efforts to claim him (and oh how they have tried already—on which, more below).

But there are three other reasons Mr Lin’s stardom could fluster the authorities. First, he is very openly Christian, and the Communist Party is deeply wary of the deeply religious (notably on those within its own ranks). Second, he is not a big centre or forward, the varietals which are the chief mainland Chinese export to the NBA, including the Mavericks’ Mr Yi; and of course he came out of nowhere to become a star, having been educated at the most prestigious university in America, Harvard.

Mr Lin is, put plainly, precisely everything that China’s state sport system cannot possibly produce. If Mr Lin were to have been born and raised in China, his height alone might have denied him entry into China’s sport machine, as Time’s Hannah Beech points out: “Firstly, at a mere 6’3

Originally Posted by teddy jam

EARLY this morning—for viewers in China—the New York Knicks of the new Taiwanese-American hero Jeremy Lin played against the Dallas Mavericks and with them China’s current standard-bearer in the NBA: the 7-foot-tall Yi Jianlian, a high draft pick who has proven a disappointment in America. Mr Yi's Mavericks lost the game, 104-97, but the bigger loser was Chinese soft power.

Mr Lin has quickly amassed a huge following among Chinese basketball fans (and this country does love basketball). This poses a bit of a conundrum for Chinese authorities for a number of reasons. The most obvious is that Mr Lin is an American who is proudly of Taiwanese descent, which would seem to complicate China’s efforts to claim him (and oh how they have tried already—on which, more below).

But there are three other reasons Mr Lin’s stardom could fluster the authorities. First, he is very openly Christian, and the Communist Party is deeply wary of the deeply religious (notably on those within its own ranks). Second, he is not a big centre or forward, the varietals which are the chief mainland Chinese export to the NBA, including the Mavericks’ Mr Yi; and of course he came out of nowhere to become a star, having been educated at the most prestigious university in America, Harvard.

Mr Lin is, put plainly, precisely everything that China’s state sport system cannot possibly produce. If Mr Lin were to have been born and raised in China, his height alone might have denied him entry into China’s sport machine, as Time’s Hannah Beech points out: “Firstly, at a mere 6’3

Originally Posted by Mr Marcus

pimp.gif

been a fan since the the beginning of Harvard's season

Feels good to be on the 2010 bandwagon
pimp.gif
Dude made me money his sr ivy league season

Originally Posted by Mr Marcus

pimp.gif

been a fan since the the beginning of Harvard's season

Feels good to be on the 2010 bandwagon
pimp.gif
Dude made me money his sr ivy league season

Originally Posted by SneakerHeathen

hindsight 20/10......
I think I remember reading an article prior to last season that the Lakers were one of the teams interested in signing Lin, after he was waived by Dallas. He did, eventually end up with the Warriors.
Either way, the guy has worked hard to get where he is today. Even the Warriors announcer watched him in practice and didn't think he would be good, because his speed was average and he couldn't shoot the ball. 

Originally Posted by SneakerHeathen

hindsight 20/10......
I think I remember reading an article prior to last season that the Lakers were one of the teams interested in signing Lin, after he was waived by Dallas. He did, eventually end up with the Warriors.
Either way, the guy has worked hard to get where he is today. Even the Warriors announcer watched him in practice and didn't think he would be good, because his speed was average and he couldn't shoot the ball. 

Back
Top Bottom