OFFICIAL LOS ANGELES CLIPPERS 2023-2024 SEASON THREAD

W/ everyone credible in the business linking Kawhi to LAC all last season,

to Kawhi literally calling every All NBA'er trying to get them to team up w/him on LAC,

It's probably true that LAC was Kawhi's destination all along and that the Raptors nor the Lakers were serious candidates.

This is just me thinking aloud and we have no way of knowing this...but I wonder if he really would have played for the Raptors or Lakers if the Clips didn't unload the clip for PG? Like what would have happened if we essentially called his bluff?

^^^ Good question. I honestly have no ****ing clue. Kawhi’s a different cat and I really can’t pretend to be able to get in his head.

I’m just glad he’s here and am really not sweating that we “overpaid” for PG. With the kind of front office we have now, we’ll be all right even if we don’t much in the way of draft picks at the moment.

^^^ Good question. I honestly have no ****ing clue. Kawhi’s a different cat and I really can’t pretend to be able to get in his head.

I’m just glad he’s here and am really not sweating that we “overpaid” for PG. With the kind of front office we have now, we’ll be all right even if we don’t much in the way of draft picks at the moment.

I’m not either. I actually think the chances of them staying long term are pretty high. Think there’s value in them actually choosing their location, aka home. There’s also value in the amount of money that they’ve given up to this point, which works in lac’s Favor

What games y’all plnning on going to? So mad I decided not to get season tickets in June lol

No, but he accidentally tweeted that he’d be open to returning if they ask. He meant to DM it I think lol

I guess it’s up to Sweet Jo then now. I can’t see the team not having him back if he wants to do it...

W/ everyone credible in the business linking Kawhi to LAC all last season,

to Kawhi literally calling every All NBA'er trying to get them to team up w/him on LAC,

It's probably true that LAC was Kawhi's destination all along and that the Raptors nor the Lakers were serious candidates.

This is just me thinking aloud and we have no way of knowing this...but I wonder if he really would have played for the Raptors or Lakers if the Clips didn't unload the clip for PG? Like what would have happened if we essentially called his bluff?

good question

i always felt like he wasnt going to the lakers simply for the fact that he took so long. if he was really into load balancing (which he is) it would defeat the purpose to wait so long to go to LAL being that all the good free agents were being gobbled up...IMO. it was just hard because all of the experts were saying LAL LAL LAL...and at the same time saying "the clippers are out"

and KL is not the typical NBA superstar, so it was really hard to see him wanting to play for the lakers.

i was worried about him going back to toronto on a 1+1. it just seemed like the ball bounced all the right ways there in the end. truth be told, that series could have legit been a sweep or a 5 game series. gsw was lucky to push it to 6. so, i thought that may have won him over. that team was really good, especially defensively in the playoffs

I’m cool with Seiman getting the job. Hard to believe he’s been with the organization for 12 years already. Nice they rewarded his loyalty.

He did a couple games on TV with Ralph last year and did fine. He just might want to think about going with something other than “Hot Damn! Hot Damn! Hot Damn!” as his signature call for big moments. :lol:

The most difficult concession was parting with Gilgeous-Alexander, their prized sophomore point guard who had become a beacon of hope for the organization. He’s the type of young tantalizing talent every smart front office loves — and a non-negotiable inclusion for the Thunder. The Clippers believe he is a future All-Star and were “heartbroken” when they uttered his name on the trade call, as one person involved in the process put it. They didn’t want to trade him.

Damnit man

Leonard knew that this approach — having another elite star by his side to help compete for championships — was the most sustainable path to long-term success. He didn’t just want a superstar teammate, though. He wanted someone he could rely on and trust to help ease the burden on both ends. George more than fit that bill.

The scenario of trading for George, as one person involved in the Clippers’ process made clear, was “nowhere in our journal.” That hardly mattered, of course. The Clippers pursued the move that seemed too good to be true — adding another versatile two-way force in the middle of his prime, who also shared a similar temperament and team-first attitude with Leonard.

When George went to the Thunder and informed them that he wanted to go to the Clippers, it changed everything for Oklahoma City. He was the domino. From there, Westbrook and his agent, Thad Foucher, engaged in discussions with Presti about what it all meant. Eight days later — and six days after the report of George being traded to the Clippers — Westbrook had been dealt to Houston.

Yet one rival team indicated to The Athletic that the Thunder were willing to discuss the prospect of trading Westbrook leading into the draft, with that revelation seen as a sign that they were considering changes even before George made his move.

Presti took the initial trade call from Frank regarding George — as good a sign as any that this opportunity was real, considering his tendency to be brutally candid in those times when he has no interest in discussing players who aren’t available. Before long, with the Clippers well aware that this unique pairing between Leonard and George meant they’d have to pay the freight for two free agents, all the puzzle pieces were aligning perfectly.

Hours before the Clippers acquired Leonard and George, a 7.1-magnitude earthquake began in nearby Ridgecrest, a fitting precursor.

When the Clippers’ front office formed late in the summer of 2017, it envisioned methodically building to contention. Realistically, that meant a four- to five-year plan. The Clippers circled the summer of 2021 as the earliest they would become players in the free-agency derby. In the meantime, they would overhaul every aspect of the organization, organically establish a culture, and accrue assets and roster flexibility.

There had been considerable progress since Ballmer purchased the team in 2014, but the franchise still needed to develop at a rate consistent with the league’s top franchises. It was a process that grinders like Frank and Winger looked forward to.

But Leonard’s trade demand out of San Antonio in the summer of 2018 changed the Clippers’ priorities — and, eventually, the franchise’s trajectory. He was the type of franchise-altering player the organization believed they’d need years to acquire. And, even though most of the media speculation centered on Leonard and the Lakers, Leonard had always kept an eye toward the Clippers, a source told Charania.

Once it became clear the Clippers were a viable prospect for Leonard, they pursued him as brazenly as a team has pursued a free agent in the modern free-agent era. That included Frank scouting him in person — rare for a president of basketball operations — Ballmer flying up to Toronto to watch him playduring the Clippers’ lone appearance at Scotiabank Arena, and Rivers’ $50,000 tampering fine from the league for comparing Leonard to Michael Jordan on an ESPN broadcast during the NBA Finals.

Frankly, the haul the Clippers gave up for George — and Leonard — proves how much they wanted to get a deal done.

From the Clippers’ perspective, the package looks worse if viewed only as the vehicle for acquiring George. But without George, there might have been no Leonard. Had the Clippers done a three-team sign-and-trade with the Raptors and Thunder to acquire Leonard and George, sending half of those assets to Toronto and the remaining half to Oklahoma City, the optics of the trade would be much different.

The most difficult concession was parting with Gilgeous-Alexander, their prized sophomore point guard who had become a beacon of hope for the organization. He’s the type of young tantalizing talent every smart front office loves — and a non-negotiable inclusion for the Thunder. The Clippers believe he is a future All-Star and were “heartbroken” when they uttered his name on the trade call, as one person involved in the process put it. They didn’t want to trade him.

It’s all still so crazy to me. I may not fully believe it happens until I see PG and Kawhi playing in a game for the Clippers.

So in retrospect, you think kawhi would've signed either way?

Gonna be super fun to see this team locked in, especially defensively.

Gonna be some mid 90s bulls type **** defensively

I think it woulda been 60/40 he comes. But imagine he stays in Toronto. Shai ends up being an above average player. Then it comes out that we passed on kawhi/PG because we didn’t wanna part with draft picks, shai, and Gallo. How mad would we all be?

Reminds me of when my Angels didn’t pull the trigger on a Miguel Cabrera trade because we didn’t wanna include Howie Kendrick. Kendrick ended up being a pretty good player but Miggy will go down as one of the greatest hitters of all time.

**** it, make the sure deal. If we don’t wain and they both leave so be it.

I think it woulda been 60/40 he comes. But imagine he stays in Toronto. Shai ends up being an above average player. Then it comes out that we passed on kawhi/PG because we didn’t wanna part with draft picks, shai, and Gallo. How mad would we all be?

Reminds me of when my Angels didn’t pull the trigger on a Miguel Cabrera trade because we didn’t wanna include Howie Kendrick. Kendrick ended up being a pretty good player but Miggy will go down as one of the greatest hitters of all time.

**** it, make the sure deal. If we don’t wain and they both leave so be it.

Yeah I mean if I had to guess he’d probably end up trusting lac and they end up trying to bring in another star at some point whether it be free agency next summer trade deadline or whenever. He obviously wasn’t going back to Toronto and it was also obvious playing with bron ad and the whole laker thing wasn’t something he was interested in either

But kudos to lac for not taking any chances and swinging for the fences for PG, especially if it’s true that Kawhi didn’t recruit PG. They didn’t call kawhi’s bluff and did what they had to do to ensure that he’s come

My team :pimp:

Back
Top Bottom