Official mental health and group therapy thread. Get it off your chest

Been seeing a therapist weekly for the last month and plan to keep it that way as long as I can afford it.

Wild out here but I’m holdin it all down.

I know it hasn't been that much time, but do you notice a difference in how you feel about things?

I know it hasn't been that much time, but do you notice a difference in how you feel about things?

Actually been about 1.5 months and yes, I do feel a difference. Sometimes I have nothing to talk about but she brings it all out of me and then my head is clear. Other times I hold on to what she says and it affects my day to day to the point of deeper reflection. Actually something I look forward to each week.

Actually been about 1.5 months and yes, I do feel a difference. Sometimes I have nothing to talk about but she brings it all out of me and then my head is clear. Other times I hold on to what she says and it affects my day to day to the point of deeper reflection. Actually something I look forward to each week.

That's pretty dope! Maybe I should check it out. Let's see what my insurance says...lol

That's pretty dope! Maybe I should check it out. Let's see what my insurance says...lol

Tried insurance in the past but never worked out for me. I found out about a nonprofit (open path) and found a therapist through them. Out of pocket doesn’t hurt as bad.

on caffeine withdrawal and had a falling out with a very close friend. feel bad but its all good

Bump.

Going to see a therapist on Wednesday. Been struggling with anxiety & panic attacks. I haven't been this bad for about 16 years now. I normally can get over it but Im having a hard time thinking Im going to spiral out of control. Sigh

Bump.

Going to see a therapist on Wednesday. Been struggling with anxiety & panic attacks. I haven't been this bad for about 16 years now. I normally can get over it but Im having a hard time thinking Im going to spiral out of control. Sigh

Happy New Year sir. I'm sorry to hear that, but I'm glad that you're going to talk to someone about things.

How's everyone else doing?

My therapist is my backbone for my issues and this new job. Vocalizing issues, even simple help tremendously.

$50 per session using OpenPath. $80 per couples session when needed.

Twice a month is what I’ve been moving on lately.

Serious question to those who are really going through mental health issues.... Have you guys noticed that it's seems to have become a trend online for people to claim they have mental issues/disorders without being diagnosed?

I may be off, but in my experience it seems as if a lot of people have started using depression on social media to sort of form a group or community. which would be good in most cases, but i continue to see people almost brag about how depressed they are, or how bad their anxiety is & it never seems to be any urgency to actually overcome it, in these post.

Serious question to those who are really going through mental health issues.... Have you guys noticed that it's seems to have become a trend online for people to claim they have mental issues/disorders without being diagnosed?

I may be off, but in my experience it seems as if a lot of people have started using depression on social media to sort of form a group or community. which would be good in most cases, but i continue to see people almost brag about how depressed they are, or how bad their anxiety is & it never seems to be any urgency to actually overcome it, in these post.

I've definitely noticed this trend. Even 5-10 years ago mental health was taboo enough that folks wouldn't be admitting in their daily testimonies on FB or IG that they suffered from anxiety and depression.

Seems as though it's accepted that certain mental health ailments effect such a huge portion of the population that it's okay to let the cat out the bag since chances are several people around you suffer from the same symptoms.

It's like this for substance abuse to a certain extent also. Seen people admit they suffer from the "the disease" when I never would have less than a decade ago.

I've definitely noticed this trend. Even 5-10 years ago mental health was taboo enough that folks wouldn't be admitting in their daily testimonies on FB or IG that they suffered from anxiety and depression.

Seems as though it's accepted that certain mental health ailments effect such a huge portion of the population that it's okay to let the cat out the bag since chances are several people around you suffer from the same symptoms.

It's like this for substance abuse to a certain extent also. Seen people admit they suffer from the "the disease" when I never would have less than a decade ago.

Yea that's kind of what i'm getting at which would be a good thing usually, it's just a lot of the things i see always give me the feeling that they aren't trying to necessarily overcome the issue. And would rather just live in it & feel sorry for themselves.

Or people who no doubt may be going through a difficult time in life, self proclaiming themselves depressed which imo is unproductive.

Yeah I would never admit it on social media that I have anxiety or depression simply because I don't know what it would accomplish for me personally. Only a select few know the issues I've experienced throughout my life. The rest would have no idea, because I put on a good "clown face." I wouldn't want people to use it against me, future employers for example. I know they be doing recon :lol:

But to answer your question I definitely do see folks using their mental health and laughing off their shortcomings, sort of blaming said mental health illness.

Overall I think I am pretty decent on mental health but there is definitely work that needs to be done.

I implemented a few things last year that are helping. I pretty much don’t drink coffee anymore, hardly drink alcohol, and am trying to use my cell phone less. I also started drumming after damn near 10 years of saying I was going to. Started up Japanese again and am gonna work towards going there later this year.

Overall I have just been trying to get back to the things that made me happy. Learning & and self discipline. It makes me feel like time is back on my side.

Also - I am working on being a better listener and being someone who can be counted on.

Just at the nice age of 32 I am realizing that whatever it is it is a daily effort.

I am a lil late and need to read through the thread to see what’s going on in here :lol:

I implemented a few things last year that are helping. I pretty much don’t drink coffee anymore, hardly drink alcohol, and am trying to use my cell phone less.

Started doing the same. Quit coffee/caffeine in April. When I do drink (rarely), it's no more than a few.

Usually I just to try to stay even but these past few months i’ve been way more down than even or up. Probably because it’s winter and season depression is in full effect. I’m usually ok when spring rolls around.

Been thinking of looking for a job out of state, somewhere warmer than NY and has no winter. Would be nice to get away. Been wanting to cut my dad and sister out of my life. Their presence is so negative and puts me in a bad mood all the time whenever I have to talk to them.

I was gonna mention SAD for us folks in the northeast. Definitely hits, especially immediately following the holidays.

shogun shogun I've also been contemplating a move to CA for the past 2 years. Nothing holding me back, I've just been dragging my feet.

I was gonna mention SAD for us folks in the northeast. Definitely hits, especially immediately following the holidays.

shogun shogun I've also been contemplating a move to CA for the past 2 years. Nothing holding me back, I've just been dragging my feet.

Yeah, all this cold and darkness in the winter months is a downer. I’ve started disliking summers in NY too, the humidity is too crazy.

Same. With all the heat and humidity in the Summer and no springs anymore, might as well live in Florida for a fraction of the COL.

Winter is pretty wack not gonna lie. I live in a place with legit fours seasons so it helps to look forward to actual change.

I don’t think sometimes that a change of scenery may be a better fit sometimes. Actually I believe it can be but I always have to remember that there is no such thing as a trump card/geographical cure.

Same. With all the heat and humidity in the Summer and no springs anymore, might as well live in Florida for a fraction of the COL.

This man knows. Come out her to LA if you want and see how much an arm and a leg and your firstborn gets you in housing. :lol: :frown: :smh:

My job offers counseling so I will take advantage. My goal this year and beyond is take care of brain with the same of care as the rest of my body.

I have never had a counseling session. I mostly want to discuss my career and relationship with my girl.

What am I in store for? Do you get to pick the number of sessions you go? Do you get to pick how long the sessions last?

My job offers counseling so I will take advantage. My goal this year and beyond is take care of brain with the same of care as the rest of my body.

I have never had a counseling session. I mostly want to discuss my career and relationship with my girl.

What am I in store for? Do you get to pick the number of sessions you go? Do you get to pick how long the sessions last?

I've done one session and basically you'll just talk about why you think you need to be there, the doctor will ask questions and basically it's like a conversation. I've only gone once but it was a good session. I'm considering going back since it's only like $25/session, but right now I don't feel I NEED to just yet.

Back
Top Bottom