Official mental health and group therapy thread. Get it off your chest

What’s up with your old lady? Hopefully the support is A1.
Having natural support >

She's honestly the reason why I started going to therapy
last year when I had my biggest panic attack she was the one who asked why don't I go to therapy

We both have anxiety so it's easy for us to understand what's going on with each other, she's definitely a MAJOR positive in this process.

She's honestly the reason why I started going to therapy
last year when I had my biggest panic attack she was the one who asked why don't I go to therapy

We both have anxiety so it's easy for us to understand what's going on with each other, she's definitely a MAJOR positive in this process.
That’s Waddup. My old lady on FMLA daily cuz of anxiety. They tried giving her meds like Wellbutrin..etc..
threw that **** in rubbish. Got her on greenery and we BURN and discuss **** like folks suppose to. **** goes DEEP! I find myself feeling emotionally drained.. It’s tough but I’m honestly ALL ears cuz I love the mother of my kids. Told her one day, “I’m not here talking directly to you, I’m side by side listening with you”
Haven’t been to therapy yet but it’s always an option cuz I’m curious on another opinion.

Shouts to all of y'all seeing therapist and investing in wellness to gain self-awareness and care. Hoping y'all achieve breakthroughs.

About five years ago I enrolled into a Grad program with hopes of becoming a Marriage Family Therapist. Although I only got a third of the way through, before realizing it wasn't a career path I wanted to pursue, that year or so in therapy school really helped shape me to gain self-awareness in areas of my life that I had developed blind spots toward. Therefore I champion therapy and anything that pushes mental wellness.

I learned that therapists have to see other therapists to remain licensed in the state of California, as well as a majority of jurisdictions in the US. Trauma is often so severe that it can cross-transfer to therapists (vicarious trauma), that's how crazy some of the stuff we bury deep inside is. Our brains have a natural tendency to just deal with things without actually addressing everything, which can have negative lasting impacts. As a minority, I know there's a ton of stigmas with seeking therapy or even medical-assisted treatment, but mental wellness is hugely neglected and it's just not possible for us to address all of our own issues due to self-biases, blind spots, etc. It's also close to impossible for loved ones to help us achieve levels of breakthroughs that only trained, licensed, and non-biased professionals can.

Again, big ups to all of y'all in treatment.

Was supposed to be taking my medication but have been using CBD for my anxiety instead and have been feeling good these last two weeks. Would be feeling good now but had a convo with my therapist and if I'm not taking the meds she can't help me and insurance is saying that I need a psychiatrist to fill out my docs in order to be out on my leave. So now I have to decide if I want to take the risk of these side effects for my health and well being.

Main side effects I don't like are weight gain and lowered libido or problems functioning sexually. I've already gained 100lbs since moving to TX and I'm at a decent 275lbs now and don't want to get any bigger. And the libido and functionality issues are self explanatory.

But I'm sitting now waiting for my prescription to be filled hoping whatever comes at me I can handle it.

Was supposed to be taking my medication but have been using CBD for my anxiety instead and have been feeling good these last two weeks. Would be feeling good now but had a convo with my therapist and if I'm not taking the meds she can't help me and insurance is saying that I need a psychiatrist to fill out my docs in order to be out on my leave. So now I have to decide if I want to take the risk of these side effects for my health and well being.

Main side effects I don't like are weight gain and lowered libido or problems functioning sexually. I've already gained 100lbs since moving to TX and I'm at a decent 275lbs now and don't want to get any bigger. And the libido and functionality issues are self explanatory.

But I'm sitting now waiting for my prescription to be filled hoping whatever comes at me I can handle it.

Your therapist is trying to force you to take the meds she prescribed? Even if you're doing well with the CBD? Sounds irresponsible of her TBH. You would think a doctor would be happy that you found a natural remedy that doesn't have the type of risks associated with an SSRI. Can't you just tell her you still need the therapy but you're all set on the meds for now?

Can you see someone else? Psychiatrists use medication to treat, while a psychologist or therapist use cognitive therapy. I would say anyone dealing with depression or anxiety try the cognitive route first. It has a good success rate.
If the meds are cheap you can just not take them. Slang them pills lol.

Your therapist is trying to force you to take the meds she prescribed? Even if you're doing well with the CBD? Sounds irresponsible of her TBH. You would think a doctor would be happy that you found a natural remedy that doesn't have the type of risks associated with an SSRI. Can't you just tell her you still need the therapy but you're all set on the meds for now?

Not really forcing me but because I'm on leave with my job I have specific guidelines to follow regarding what licensed professionals I can be treated by. I told her that I still need help identifying my anxiety triggers and warning signs but she told me that her duties were basically tied to my reaction to the medication.

Can you see someone else? Psychiatrists use medication to treat, while a psychologist or therapist use cognitive therapy. I would say anyone dealing with depression or anxiety try the cognitive route first. It has a good success rate.
If the meds are cheap you can just not take them. Slang them pills lol.

Unfortunately the therapy route wouldn't fit under my leave requirement of being seen by a licensed psychiatrist. I'm thinking about not taking the pills and going back to her as if I was just to be able to get through this paperwork and stuff

Spoke with the therapist and I'll be seeing both of them next Tues
15 mins with the therapist then the remaining 30min with the therapist

Though there should be no shame in taking them if you need it,

I feel like the mental health field has an industrial medication problem

these pharmaceutical companies be wining and dining these psychiatrist getting them to slang these pills

Quick update, been taking my meds for a while and have met with the therapist and I like her, she's very understanding and is reading me pretty well. Def feel like she understands what I'm going through and she did address my concerns with the meds side effects. Basically just told me to try it out for 30 days and find ways counteract the side effects. Working out if I'm concerned about weight gain, trying something new if there's any issues sexually, keeping water and/or gum for the dry mouth and so on.

Next appointment is next week

Got diagnosed with ADHD by both my psychiatrist and therapist... Kinda wild. My family was always extremely inattentive about seeing health professionals for pretty much anything. Dental checkups, physician checkups, etc. so it was never really something I considered. My pops is a master at gaslighting as well so I always saw it as a me problem from a character perspective and never a mental/biological one. The reason why it surprised me so much is that even with the near complete alignment of my life experience with ADHD symptoms it was something I never remotely considered.

Been on Vyvanse the past two weeks and although it helps a little bit it's definitely not a cure-all. Regardless though, im extremely happy about the double-diagnosis. Been doing hella research to figure out strategies to cope with it better and the nuance I need to have to complete everyday tasks. It truly does feel as if my life has been progressively better every day as I work to build these new habits.

My pops is a master at gaslighting as well so I always saw it as a me problem from a character perspective and never a mental/biological one.
I can relate to this. I made the mistake of viewing my mom as a voice of authority and a model as to how I should go about life/relationships growing up. It wasn't until I moved out that I realized in a lot of instances she was immature, manipulative, petty, a poor communicator, and had really poor control over her emotions. Growing up around that and being fed the bull**** of "she's your mother and you need to respect her" from other adults made me feel like I was the one with the issues and planted the seeds to develop low self esteem, anxiety, and depression.

I can relate to this. I made the mistake of viewing my mom as a voice of authority and a model as to how I should go about life/relationships growing up. It wasn't until I moved out that I realized in a lot of instances she was immature, manipulative, petty, a poor communicator, and had really poor control over her emotions. Growing up around that and being fed the bull**** of "she's your mother and you need to respect her" from other adults made me feel like I was the one with the issues and planted the seeds to develop low self esteem, anxiety, and depression.

My dad had a lot of those traits as well. The hardest part for me was acknowledging and understanding all of these things because my dad still fulfilled his role as a parent the best way he knew how even with my mother almost entirely out of the picture and actively attempting to sabotage him with the small presence she did have. I accept my dad for what he is because even with my awareness of his negatives he also had plenty of positives as well.

It was reaching that understanding that there are certain subject areas I just need to outright avoid in conversations with him that allows me to maintain a healthy relationship with him. I'd be lying if I said I didnt have lingering resentment for all of the issues he just outright ignored... This ADHD made my life a million times harder than it needed to be and although im still doing very well its hard not to think about what could have been... All those years I spent believing I just wasn't good enough or I didn't have the will to live up to my potential--the war between my ideal self and my real self was crazy. Thankfully, im at a point where I feel like im getting closer to unifying the two every day now.

'Nother update
Insurance revealed to me the psychiatrist that I have been seeing is "just" a nurse practitioner and I would have needed to have seen an actual psychologist within first 45 days of my leave in order to keep my leave paid. So I've been telling these people in practically every session about me stressing saying that I need to be talking to a psychiatrist and they've just been nodding on like every thing was Gucci.

Long story short, I'm back at work now and I've been doing pretty good. First day had a small moment that I needed to talk my self down from but recovered well. Been back these last 2 weeks and unfortunately had a panic attack on Tuesday at the beginning of my work day and had one at home last week as well. Before I came back to work I was able to see a psychiatrist who basically just shoved a prescription of Xanax at me. I took one pill at each panic attack and not sure if it was me calming down or the pills but I don't think they have much of an effect on me.

Broke down to me wife and told her I am starting to feel like I'm getting worse starting to feel like I'm losing my mind. I'm starting to see my anxiety everywhere and because I can see it I'm stressing over it almost every time. Was going to try to avoid trying to do another leave until next year but if I can't find a good groove or handle on managing my anxiety and depression I will have to back out again for a while.

Now that I have a Vyvanse prescription that actually works ive gone from needing an impending deadline or working overtime at the crib to ensure my work got done to flying through it in the first couple hours at work.

Last week the work I set out to have finished by Friday I finished mid-day Wednesday :lol:

Over twenty years running around untreated and I need damn near the highest dosage of medication they can prescribe for it to be effective.

Wonder what my Project Manager thinks... Medicated me has had 5x the output of unmedicated me. Im posting this from work right now cause Ive exhausted all my work AND any possible work I could think of to go above and beyond.

Kind of wild.

Though there should be no shame in taking them if you need it,

I feel like the mental health field has an industrial medication problem

these pharmaceutical companies be wining and dining these psychiatrist getting them to slang these pills
I was a mental health case worker for 6 years. The rule for drug reps was if you wanted to meet with the dr. It had to be first thing in the morning or lunch time. If they wanted the dr’s time then they had to provide him breakfast or lunch. If they were gonna provide food then they had to do it for the whole clinic.
We would have feasts from places like chick-fila, Panera bread, Mexican restaurants and the high end drug companies like the ones that push the 1500 antipsychotic injections used to bring papadeauxs and bbq from this more expensive bbq place.
I come from a petty hustling background and I always approach things from a street/hustling perspective. I thought from the very beginning all they were doing was hustling. It was no different conceptually than a person that moves weight trying to recruit a street level dealer. It was just legal. A lot of the side effects of those drugs are terrible too. That’s why regular lab work is required for a lot of medicines to make sure diabetes isn’t triggered from the weight gain and people are hydrated and the medicines aren’t built up to toxic levels where the liver and kidneys are damaged. But weed is controversial smh

Also my inbox is open to anyone who may need help. I’m not a dr or a therapist but I know the system and what it takes to get started for anyone who may want help but not know what to do

Last edited:
I definitely can relate. Now that I’m older I realize my mom has always had a mild untreated mental illness. Definitely anxiety and maybe bipolar. Not really manic symptoms but def depression and everything that comes with that. I am more understanding now and love her to death. It wasn’t all bad she was a super mom and was very good to us too. I stead of being bitter, my attitude now is that now that I’m conscious of it, it’s my responsibility to break those things regardless of the root cause.

I was a mental health case worker for 6 years. The rule for drug reps was if you wanted to meet with the dr. It had to be first thing in the morning or lunch time. If they wanted the dr’s time then they had to provide him breakfast or lunch. If they were gonna provide food then they had to do it for the whole clinic.
We would have feasts from places like chick-fila, Panera bread, Mexican restaurants and the high end drug companies like the ones that push the 1500 antipsychotic injections used to bring papadeauxs and bbq from this more expensive bbq place.
I come from a petty hustling background and I always approach things from a street/hustling perspective. I thought from the very beginning all they were doing was hustling. It was no different conceptually than a person that moves weight trying to recruit a street level dealer. It was just legal. A lot of the side effects of those drugs are terrible too. That’s why regular lab work is required for a lot of medicines to make sure diabetes isn’t triggered from the weight gain and people are hydrated and the medicines aren’t built up to toxic levels where the liver and kidneys are damaged. But weed is controversial smh

Also my inbox is open to anyone who may need help. I’m not a dr or a therapist but I know the system and what it takes to get started for anyone who may want help but not know what to do

I applaud this post.

'Nother update
Insurance revealed to me the psychiatrist that I have been seeing is "just" a nurse practitioner and I would have needed to have seen an actual psychologist within first 45 days of my leave in order to keep my leave paid. So I've been telling these people in practically every session about me stressing saying that I need to be talking to a psychiatrist and they've just been nodding on like every thing was Gucci.

Long story short, I'm back at work now and I've been doing pretty good. First day had a small moment that I needed to talk my self down from but recovered well. Been back these last 2 weeks and unfortunately had a panic attack on Tuesday at the beginning of my work day and had one at home last week as well. Before I came back to work I was able to see a psychiatrist who basically just shoved a prescription of Xanax at me. I took one pill at each panic attack and not sure if it was me calming down or the pills but I don't think they have much of an effect on me.

Broke down to me wife and told her I am starting to feel like I'm getting worse starting to feel like I'm losing my mind. I'm starting to see my anxiety everywhere and because I can see it I'm stressing over it almost every time. Was going to try to avoid trying to do another leave until next year but if I can't find a good groove or handle on managing my anxiety and depression I will have to back out again for a while.

The more you think you are losing your mind or getting worst you will only get worst. Last year it took me 3 months to finally get over my latest bout with real bad anxiety.

I was to a point I wouldnt sleep at all because my mind wouldnt stop spinning. But i eventually was able to get it under control. I was using the rubber band method where I wear a rubber band & when negatives thoughts came I snap it.

where my fellow schizo/bipolar people at? I found that medication is the only way to keep me living a normal life. when i'm off the meds, it can get pretty bad, as far as wild/irrational thoughts, anxiety, sometimes hallucinations/hearing voices. been hospitalized 3 or 4 times and it's not fun. been hospital-free for about 3-4 yrs now that i found medication plan that works

I Typed this Out While Watching This Video to Help Me and Ideally You As Well:

1. Nope.

2. My mood just swung again an out of character fashion. The 3rd time in the last 3 day. I’ve felt my heart beating for maybe the last 20 mins. Look at this. Even as I typing this, I’m doing so w/ a very straight face, but inside I’m like screaming or at least I want to. I’m just don’t how to be emo.

Atrociously relatable:

3. Yes.

4. Involuntarily. My has car been brokedown for the past few days. I’m fixing it, but it is like lost my freedom. May go for a walk later.

6. In recent times, yes. Started happening early February. I mean I’m pretty much am a loner. Like I like to interact & hang out b/c overall, I like ppl. I like ppl so much so that I even have conversations w/ them online. ****, I'm even do this for ppl :lol: I like ppl and I am completely fine w/ it :lol: That laugh was needed. Now back to being a loner.

Being me being a loner, and me isolating myself is totally different. I am isolating myself. I can’t be around the ppl around me. We aren’t the same. I can’t say we’ve grown apart b/c idk if we were really together apart from circumstance, ya know.

7. Yup. That's why I am smoking the hell out of this CBD.

8. Yeah.

6 outta 8. Looks like I am really going through it.

I dead feel like this is gonna be me. It slightly happened a 2 days ago. It wasn't funny 2 days ago :lol:
tenor (45).gif

I threw a damn near $200 ignition coil and my phone 2 days ago. I've never been pissed enough to do that. Someone on here was talking **** yesterday. My man, I was really hot about it. People have said way worse to me on here, and I didn't care. Yesterday I cared. Yesterday I would've smacked him irl. Today it's b/c of the wrong car scanner. I really shouldn't be this upset :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I’ve been going through bad anxiety the last month for the first time in my life
A lot of things coincided and it all hit me at once and I had 3 panic attacks 3 nights in a row before I finally went to the ER and they told me what was happening
I was good for 3 weeks and then it happened again this weekend
I went to the doctor today and he referred me to a psychiatrist and recommended I get on Lexapro but I really don’t wanna take that **** AT ALL

This **** sucks man. It’s only been a month so I hope it passes soon. I want to see a therapist/psychologist instead of someone who just wants to get me on meds. But with the pandemic everyone is so booked

looking back at my early 20s I was definitely going through depression, without knowing it. and I can feel myself going down that road again

Last edited:
cs02132 cs02132 I suffer from anxiety so I know how you feel. But i would def talk to a therapist first before taking any medication.

They'll have you try different methods to cope from books to rubber bands. I had books that helped & I use a rubber band so when you have a negative thoughts pop the rubber band on your wrist.

cs02132 cs02132 I suffer from anxiety so I know how you feel. But i would def talk to a therapist first before taking any medication.

They'll have you try different methods to cope from books to rubber bands. I had books that helped & I use a rubber band so when you have a negative thoughts pop the rubber band on your wrist.
Yea I definitely want to try everything before I even think about getting on the meds. I don’t want to do that at all. I know what has been causing it so it’s not like it’s out of the blue

I filled out a starting form with a psychiatrist today so hopefully I can talk to him soon. But I didn’t know a psychiatrist mostly works to recommend meds/brain chemistry stuff so I wanna see if I can find a therapist or psychologist. I really don’t want to take pills unless I have to. It all happened at the beginning of March so hopefully long term this will pass

any books you can recommend? I will pick them up ASAP

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom