Official MMA Thread-UFC on FOX 3, 5/5/12 - Anyone asking for stream links = banned.

^ Thank you...we're the same age. I'm all about respecting your senior, but you can't go into this fight talking about "well gee, I hope maybe I can beat Shogun." I mean there is a "I Hate Jon Jones" thread out there with like 100 replies. It's ridiculous. If he can talk the talk and walk the walk, and beat the man to be the man (WOOOOO), then more power to him. It's his promise to fulfil.

Originally Posted by Burn916

And yeah, people are catching extra feelings over JJ in the MMA blogosphere. It looks like Rashad 2.0. I think Rashad was onto something when it comes to African American fighters and the general MMA fan base. 90% of comments = "I hope Shogun puts that cocky (insert term) in his place." God forbid a fighter be confident in his skills...

agreed.

I don't know if Bones will win, but there is no reason for him not to be confident and secure in his skill, it's not like what he has done has been a fluke.

This will be the real test for him

Originally Posted by venom lyrix

And yeah, people are catching extra feelings over JJ in the MMA blogosphere. It looks like Rashad 2.0. I think Rashad was onto something when it comes to African American fighters and the general MMA fan base. 90% of comments = "I hope Shogun puts that cocky (insert term) in his place." God forbid a fighter be confident in his skills...

agreed.

I don't know if Bones will win, but there is no reason for him to be confident and secure in his skill, it's not like what he has done has been a fluke.

No reason? A good wrestler going against a guy who is 2/14 for Takedown Defense in the UFC. Id be confident in my ability.

Originally Posted by usainboltisfast

agreed.

I don't know if Bones will win, but there is no reason for him to be confident and secure in his skill, it's not like what he has done has been a fluke.

No reason? A good wrestler going against a guy who is 2/14 for Takedown Defense in the UFC. Id be confident in my ability.
First off that's just Shogun's style, he prefers to sweep from the bottom, scramble and get back up. And I think Bones will have a tough time holding him down. 
Second, There is nothing wrong with being confident but Jones crosses the line into arrogant a lot. I agree that there is a lot of  underlying racism in the general MMA fan base but Evans and Jones make it so easy to hate on them. Sometimes they both sound so damn full of themselves 

- With all that being said I still find it very hard to hate on someone like Bones, he seems like a really cool person. 

Originally Posted by RustyShackleford

Originally Posted by usainboltisfast

agreed.

First off that's just Shogun's style, he prefers to sweep from the bottom, scramble and get back up. And I think Bones will have a tough time holding him down. 
Second, There is nothing wrong with being confident but Jones crosses the line into arrogant a lot. I agree that there is a lot of  underlying racism in the general MMA fan base but Evans and Jones make it so easy to hate on them. Sometimes they both sound so damn full of themselves 

- With all that being said I still find it very hard to hate on someone like Bones, he seems like a really cool person. 

my bad I meant to say "there is no reason that he shouldn't be confident in his skills" sorry I was at work at 5am this morning

Eh I really think the reason most people hate Jones is because he's such a strong Christian and public about it and they feel he's arrogant. Almost everything that Jon Jones has said within the past 2 months or so has been taken out of context with Sherdog and they kept using it as reasons to hate him. With Rashad, it's just because he's cocky and a safety first fighter. I don't think racism has anything to do with it really considering Rampage has many fans on the online MMA community.

I agree with you. Shad is extra cocky. This dude was grabbing his junk taunting Forrest as he was getting combos thrown at him against the cage (SWAG
laugh.gif
)...but as for Page, he's front and center in that racism argument. You guys saw how that Page/Shad conference call went down. Im not saying one side of that was right or wrong, but it's there. Also, I'll probably never win this argument, but I hardly see Shad as safety first or boring. Other than maybe the Thiago fight, he puts leather on people. He has three of the best KOs I've ever seen to his name, stood and traded (and got ktfo) against Lyoto, and nearly finished Page in the first round. I also find the dynamic takedowns to be exciting, but that's just me.

I'd recommend watching the JJ "In The Moment" show...I think it's up on YouTube now. Great glimpse into his life.

WOW...right before the biggest fight of his life, JJ, Greg Jackson, and Mike Winkeljohn chase down, stop, and armbar a guy who broke into a woman's car
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

...and people in the blogosphere are criticizing him SMFH
laugh.gif

WOW...right before the biggest fight of his life, JJ, Greg Jackson, and Mike Winkeljohn chase down, stop, and armbar a guy who broke into a woman's car
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

...and people in the blogosphere are criticizing him SMFH
laugh.gif

x2515b3c6.jpg

Shad is extra cocky. This dude was grabbing his junk taunting Forrest as he was getting combos thrown at him against the cage (SWAG
laugh.gif
people love to bring this up but when forest winked and flipped off shoguns corner during the fight people were showing him love.  
laugh.gif
shad can never win with the fans

Predictions for tonight:

1. Champ Mauricio "Shogun" Rua (205) vs. Jon Jones (205)
2. Urijah Faber (135.5) vs. Eddie Wineland (135.5)
3. Nate Marquardt (186) vs. Dan Miller (185)
4. Mirko Crocop (229) vs. Brendan Schaub (245)
5. Jim Miller (155.5) vs. Kamal Shalorus (155)

Of these matches, I'll say Jones get submission of the night, and Schaub gets KO of the night.

Originally Posted by MonopolyMan630

I think Shogun is going to bring Bones back down to earth. Bones is good but he hasn't faced anyone like Shogun before. Of course, that is assuming Shogun is as healthy as he can be.

I think Jones will avoid standing with Shogun, take him to the mat, and it will be real trouble for Shogun.

Not a huge UFC fan, but not much going on tonight either.
This fight worth sitting in a crowded sports bar?

To hold you guys over for 10 mins...peep Kru Phil Nurse's ultimate swag highlight reel

we'll see how good jones's chin is.  everyone knows mauricio will try to get on the inside and put him to sleep.  maybe we'll see the return of his wild, aggressive striking.  jones will definitely do some crazy throws and try to control him on the ground.  i hope shogun will prove people wrong and finish jones.
anyone think crocop should retire if he loses?  if he loses to schaub by ko, he needs to hang them up.  it's painful to watch him fight now.

Originally Posted by 4wrestling

Originally Posted by MonopolyMan630

I think Shogun is going to bring Bones back down to earth. Bones is good but he hasn't faced anyone like Shogun before. Of course, that is assuming Shogun is as healthy as he can be.

I think Jones will avoid standing with Shogun, take him to the mat, and it will be real trouble for Shogun.
I disagree about trouble on the mat. Shogun has some of the best BJJ in the LHW Division, the UFC, MMA

Back
Top Bottom