Official N.Y. Yankees 2010 SEASON THREAD (95-67) WC/ALDS Winners, and that's it =[ ...

we about to get berkman for a couple of minor leaguers, none of them being top prospects and houston is payin 9 of the 14 million

I like Adam Dunn more than Lance Berkman...plus we could have signed Dunn for 4 years in the offseason and have out DH/1b backup set for a while...he would hit 40-50 HRs with the Yankees due to the short porch.

Lance isn't bad though...hopefully he stays healthy, bat him 6th after Cano.

this thread is soooo dead compared to last year...smh...

we got Berkman and Kearns and supposidly we are working on getting a 3B

tough loss today...props to Joba...2 IP...0 hits, 3 K's

Hughes made 1 mistake...shucks

I've been busier then last summer and I've noticed that most people have been as well. Yuku can be blamed for part of it, but the other part is just people having activities to do. Nothing wrong with that.

The Yankees finally finalize a deal!? 
eek.gif
eek.gif
laugh.gif

Im glad we landed Berkman. Thats a huge name that could be very helpful for us if hes healthy.

A-Rod is killing me with not hitting this homerun. If I miss seeing it live Im gunna be highly upset. He is my favorite player of all time.

HTTB doesn't post as much either...my dude's posts made up like half the last thread with his postwhoring !%@.
laugh.gif

We also got Austin Kearns.

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. -- The Yankees got themselves an insurance policy without having to pay a premium, or in fact, anything at all, when they acquired veteran outfielder Austin Kearns from the Cleveland Indians on Friday night for a player to be named.
The move was announced shortly after the Yankees lost 3-2 to the Tampa Bay Rays at Tropicana Field, cutting their lead in the AL East to one game. Manager Joe Girardi described the 30-year-old Kearns, a veteran of nine major league seasons, eight of them in the National League, as "another corner outfielder who gives us depth and experience, a right-handed bat with power."

Kearns, who had previously played for the Cincinnati Reds and Washington Nationals, was hitting .268 with eight home runs and 43 RBIs in 83 games with the Indians this season. A career .257 hitter, Kearns has played mostly as a right-fielder and has generally hit in the middle of the batting order, two areas that will be tough for him to crack with any regularity on this team.

"We can use him a lot of different ways because he's a guy who's used to playing every day," said Girardi, who expects to have Kearns available for Saturday night's game against the Rays. According to Girardi, Yankees GM Brian Cashman first mentioned the possibility of acquiring Kearns on Friday afternoon. Cashman did not immediately return a phone call seeking comment.

"It'll give me a chance to rest some of our left-handed hitting guys," Girardi said. "We're in the midst right now of 37 games in 38 days, so I won't have to run the same guys out there every day. You can keep them healthy and physically strong, because we're going to need them."

Adding Kearns will necessitate the Yankees' making a roster move, and although Girardi said he was undecided who would be sent down in order to make room, the likeliest candidates are Juan Miranda or Colin Curtis, both of whom have been used in the role Girardi envisions for Kearns.

The move came on the heels of sources telling ESPN's Buster Olney that the Yankees have also acquired Lance Berkman from the Houston Astros, a deal that cannot be officially announced until 24 hours have passed from the time Berkman, a 10-and-5 player, agreed to waive his no-trade clause in order to come to New York.

According to reports, Berkman agreed at about 1:30 p.m., meaning he, too, might be able to join the Yankees in time for Saturday's 7:10 p.m. game.

That was enough for Mark Teixeira to comment favorably on both deals. "That's great," he said. "They're both great guys, two quality guys. I know both of them real well. They're going to be great for this clubhouse."

Asked how either Kearns or Berkman, both middle of the order hitters, would fit into the packed Yankees lineup, Teixeira said, "I have no idea. We have so many dynamic players on our team. But no one guy has to carry this team and that's the great thing about the Yankees. They're always going to do what it takes to win, and you see it today, getting two players like that. It's great. The city of New York deserves a winner every year and that's what we're trying to give them."

Kearns, who went 2-for-3 for the Indians in Cleveland's 8-1 loss to the Toronto Blue Jays on Friday night before being pulled for a pinch-runner in the seventh inning, said he had no idea he would be headed to the Yankees. "Nobody told me anything until after the game," he said. "When I came out I thought something might be up, then I just thought maybe I was getting a blow or something. Then they took me inside and told me."

The Yankees had gotten a good look at Kearns earlier this week during their four-game set in Cleveland. On Tuesday, Kearns led off the sixth inning with a triple that helped secure the Indians' 4-1 win. "I'm excited about the opportunity," he said. "I always enjoy playing teams like that, teams that are obviously playoff or World Series caliber. I'm sure I'll just kinda be in the mix, maybe in the outfield, but I think when you get the opportunity to go to a team like that you don't worry about those kind of things. You got bigger and better things to think about."

I've been busier this summer with working all day, then going to gym, then going out with friends, and have been busier especially because of my father being in the hospital. Whenever I can get to the computer during a game, I try and make sure I post throughout.

Originally Posted by Yankeephan87

I think its cause most Yankee fans are in cruise control until September

laugh.gif
I tell my dad the same thing every year as long as you stay within 5 games back, baseball doesn't matter until last week of July or first week of August..

That's when I can go insane.. I do the 1st couple weeks but if I were to go all the way with baseball all 1st half, by August 1st, I'd be on the verge of a heart attack...

As for the deals we made, I'm not mad about them.. I think we needed to sure up our bullpen though... Besides Mariano the rest of the bullpen has been god awful.. I don't know what is wrong with Joba.. He pitched well tonight but his stats are absolute crap compared to what they were in his previous bullpen stints. All that messing around of moving back and forth may have screwed his approached to relief work.. As a starter he'd throw less hard and have less intensity to preserve his arm for more innings. In the bullpen he could throw as hard as possible and keep his intensity level at a max and go out and dominate. That's what he's best at and that's what his career needs to stay no more rotation bs... Robertson pisses me off everytime I am watching him pitch he seems to give up 2-3 runs...

We really needed that 7th inning guy who can take us to Joba (on max intensity) then to Mo... Kind of like the Joba-Hughes-Mo thing we had last year... It is how we won in the 90s... How we won last year... You get that going you get it to bullpen that would be unstoppable just like it was from June/July to the end of the year last year..

Berkman is good..Unfortunately with Posada needing to be DH he will need to go to Left....I'd rather Put him DH but I say at the bottom of the order in the 8 spot... Our lineup works great now (minus the shaky road trip)..But there is a drop at the end that I think if you put Swisher down there he will start to fall off. If you Berk in the 8 spot it makes the lineup more rounded out instead of a big drop at the end.. You could even put him in the 9 spot to get Brett some extra pitches to see to get him on base more...   But if you put Berk at LF and have him bat 8th Cervelli 9th

Weird thing is I had hope we'd go after Carl Crawford in the off-season, looks less likely as the weeks go by.. But you never know...

Damn they got rid of Mark Melancon. At least Ivan Nova still around!

I need Chad Guadin or Chan Ho Park released or traded next, hell even both. At least one!

i've been in and out but posting in here for the most part on the reg.

i like the deals, berkman is a solid pickup.

just gotta bury these cockroaches now ........

Originally Posted by bkmac

I've been busier this summer with working all day, then going to gym, then going out with friends, and have been busier especially because of my father being in the hospital.
Hope all is well.

Why is everyone saying put Berkman in the 2 hole...NO...Swisher has been perfect in the 2 spot and he is having the best year of his career. The lineup should be as follows

1. Jeter
2. Swisher
3. Teixeira
4. Rodriguez
5. Cano
6. Berkman
7. Posada
8. Granderson
9. Gardner

Tough loss yesterday.

Hughes pitched well, just made that one mistake to Joyce.

So Berkman is coming in to DH and be Teix's backup, correct?

We still need help in the bullpen.

Originally Posted by venom lyrix

Why is everyone saying put Berkman in the 2 hole...NO...Swisher has been perfect in the 2 spot and he is having the best year of his career. The lineup should be as follows

1. Jeter
2. Swisher
3. Teixeira
4. Rodriguez
5. Cano
6. Berkman
7. Posada
8. Granderson
9. Gardner

1. Jeter (SS0
2. Swish (RF)
3. Arod (3B)
4. Tex (1B)
5. Cano (2B)
6. Grandy (CF)
7. Posada (C) 
8.  Berkman (DH)
9. Gardener (LF)

Granderson in the 6th because if we move him down he will be even more mediocre..

Back
Top Bottom