OFFICIAL NBA 2K19 Thread | Available Now

Bout to give up 2K for live

2K need to chill acting all entitled to not give us any gameplay or no showings.
We actually have gotten more info this tesr than previous years.

I say settle back and wait until release date to make a decision.

It is July

he shouldnt be a 99 or a 98. dudes defense has gotten worse compared to last year, his free throw is consistently bad, and iirc his turnovers got worse. i know lebron is an all time great... but there are deficiencies in his game still. a 98 is generous considering what theyve given other players in their primes in previous years. i think his 3 has improved this year. his usage rate is WAY up. but dude isnt the best in any statistical category. this is a very generous score.
LOL @ GIving an actual breakdown.

He is a former cover athlete, that helps as well

this takeover system doesnt sound like a good idea

One of the more noticeable changes coming to NBA 2K19 is a new game system that celebrates the idea that any NBA player can take over a game at any time. Think of this Takeover concept as a more nuanced take on the “On Fire” system from the arcade classic NBA Jam.

The way Takeover works is players of each archetype have unique ways to exert their dominance during a game. For instance, playmakers take over by setting up teammates for easy buckets, rim protectors change the trajectory of a game by locking down the paint, etc. As the player exercises his will against the opponent using his specialties, he builds up a takeover meter. Once activated, you will see an on fire badge underneath the player on the court, which indicates the player has unlocked a new tier of special animations and badges that align with their archetype. For instance, playmakers like Rajon Rondo won’t suddenly be raining down threes while on fire NBA Jam style. Instead, they may get Dimer and Ankle Breaker boosts.

Holding the left bumper button, you can check where all your players on the court are at in terms of activating their Takeover. Multiple players on the same team can activate Takeovers at the same time, as well, making for some intriguing combinations. But beware, if your players struggle they can also develop cold streaks. These diminish gradually over time, but you can try to accelerate coming out of their funk by calling a timeout.

"I like it, it's a little meta game to think about how you play with players,” Wang says.

na 2k is already notorious for that. i just hate when they market "new" features because it usually becomes another annoying gimmick that they make sure is visible in EVERY game...
Yea, it is just marketing man. SHouldn't bother folks honestly. If I were them I would do it too.

@Takeover

We will see how it plays out. Honestly, they already have it in the game, it just doesn't have a title. I tend to ignore the fluff they put out as long as it doesn't break gameplay. Hopefully it is used in moderation.

Last edited:
Not only has "just getting hot" been in the game, but you get boosts in certain attribute groups depending on recent success.

If you make a few good passes in a row that lead to assists, you will get inflation in your pass ratings.

Same with rebounding and paint protection.

Yea, nothing new.

Just marketing

I know it is late in the cycle but the Big3 has my hyped as hell. Can we get a Arcade/Simulation option for Blacktop Games. (With full rules, shot clock included) I want to play but it is way too Arcadey for me to even want to touch it.

na 2k is already notorious for that. i just hate when they market "new" features because it usually becomes another annoying gimmick that they make sure is visible in EVERY game...

Those strategies are meant for the casual gamers. Not us. Only time 2k really had me mad was back in the day with 2k11 and that damn spin dunk spam.

Oh and 2k13 when they took out blocking..... oh and the euro step 3 point cheese

I legit stopped playing online for a while

Last edited:
Some more gameplay details:

• New and Added Animations, Better AI – in the games that were played, there were what looked like a lot of new animations in all aspects of the game. There were new and varied loose-ball animations where players would battle for the ball. This tied together well with the AI. There were instances where the ball got knocked loose and you saw Draymond Green get right on the floor and dive for the loose ball; in another loose ball battle, I saw JaVale McGee fight for the ball, but when it got to the point where he should have gotten on the ground, he didn’t. This speaks to the individual player’s hustle and willingness to get down and dirty.
  • Defense/Defensive AI Improved – the improvement on the defensive side of the ball was evident right off the bat. I felt there was a heavy responsibility on the player to stay in front of their man, which was beautiful. The blow-by animation(s) that plagued NBA 2K18 look to be reduced dramatically. Playing against LeBron James, I was able to stay in front of him to an extent with Kevin Durant, but you would see LeBron’s strength take over and he would get by Durant. I saw bumping when a dribbler would try to get by the defender but was locked down. The on-ball defense was great. This was also a welcomed sight; I really think that defense is that much better this year, and the balance it gives to the offensive/defensive battle makes both shutting down an offensive possession and scoring on offense feel rewarding on both sides.
  • Small Changes To Controls – I noticed a few small changes to some controls on both sides of the ball. Mike Wang pointed out a couple changes to us as well. One change that will either be a gift or a curse was the “stop” dribble; a quick tap of LB (we were using Xbox One dev systems for the build of the game we played) made your player do a stop-hesitation type dribble that could be chained in various different ways. This looks to be something that will give us some absolutely nasty dribble moves from players that can or do master the sticks. On the defensive side of the ball, it looked like there was a slight modification to shot contests, which was fully the responsibility of the player. This, to me, is awesome. Mike Wang voiced to us that this change was made to take away from a user running around in a contest stance, which is completely unrealistic. It’s now on you as a defender to reach up for a shot contest; it appeared that you had both a “straight up” contest, and then more of followed through contest where your player would kind of reach up for the contest — but it looked like they would get on their toes and almost mini-jump for the shot contest.
  • Dribbling Is Smooth, Defense Stealing Is Smooth – Dribbling in the build we played felt smooth. I didn’t really find an instance where I was put off by what the player was doing with the ball in relation to what I was doing on the sticks. This extended over to the defensive side of the ball where steals did pop up a few times; steals looked viable and had clean animations due to good timing by the defender. In one instance when I was playing a game against Chris Smoove, we were trying different things that were issues in NBA 2K18. I had the ball with Kevin Durant and was purposely over-dribbling. Durant’s handles, as should be expected, were silky smooth and looked good. Smoove timed his steal with his defender (I think it was Josh Hart) and reached in just as Durant was crossing the ball back and stole the ball cleanly, which lead to a fast break. Seeing this on both sides of the ball is promising and bodes well for the game.
  • Shot Meter Options – one thing Mike Wang pointed out to us was the change with the shot meter, where you could choose Hands, Feet, Both Hands and Feet, or Off. A lot of people have had gripes with the shooting in the past. I personally don’t have a problem with the shooting and layup meters in the game. I think that obviously there’s a dependability on trying to “green light” your shot or layup, obviously depending on the situation, but there’s also the reliance on form and animation. This is fine with me.
  • Dramatically Improved Player Clipping – This was obviously one of the biggest issues for NBA 2K18, as you’d see clipping all over the place. In this build, I don’t think any of us saw any major player clipping. We were told that there was a big emphasis on fixing this issue for NBA 2K19, which was more than welcomed. There’s always obviously going to be clipping in the game, but the improvement seen in what was played hopefully leads to a cleaner NBA 2K19with much less clipping.
  • Less Cheese (For Now) – You cheesed, or hated people that cheesed in NBA 2K18. Bad news for the cheesers so far: It looks like you’ll have to find some new things to exploit, or just play the right way (the horror!). Chris Smoove and I wasted away a whole quarter with Mike Wang watching, trying to zig-zag dribble and do other cheese moves. We couldn’t pull them off. I managed to somehow pull off a step that would have led to zig-zag dribbling, but when I tried to switch back and take off it didn’t work. It looked like when you tried too quickly switch back, your player would actually do what looked like a crossover dribble back to their opposite hand, moving with their momentum. This took away that quick, drop of a dime cross that we saw last year. Chris and I both professed our elation with this as we had to use our skills to get by the defender instead of cheesing by.
  • Altered/New Badges – it looked like there were some new badges added to the game, as well as some changes to existing ones. In a game against Brian Mazique, he caught fire with LeBron James, and the “Fire” badge was an actual animated flaming circle around LeBron’s “main” badge. While playing against Chris Smoove, Mike Wang mentioned you could press LB on offense to see all the player badges on the floor that was part of the new “Takeover” system. It looks to be a neat new addition to the game in terms of giving you more visual cues.
  • Shot Coverage Readings Still Off – For the most part, shot feedback looked to be on par, but there were a couple instances where the Shot Coverage feedback was terrible. Mike Wang did take note of these, so hopefully it gets fixed.
  • Rebounding Still Needs Work – Rebounding still needs some work. I saw some very nice rebound battle animations from players trying to get position on the box out, namely Boogie Cousins and JaVale McGee fighting for position. The problem is we also saw a few rebounds where players had no business getting the ball as they weren’t in a position to get the ball. The play that really stuck out was one where I should have had an easy rebound with Jordan Bell, whose hands looked like they were about to grab the ball from the side of the net, but instead the rebound was grabbed by Lonzo Ball who was in the front of the basket. Ball jumped from just inside the half circle in the key, and in what appeared to be some sort of vacuum animation, Ball jumped up, grabbed the rebound from Jordan Bell, and both players floated to the left of the basket to the baseline. We showed this to Mike Wang who took note of this

Eight Exciting Changes Coming To NBA 2K19's Gameplay

Less Cheese (For Now) – You cheesed, or hated people that cheesed in NBA 2K18. Bad news for the cheesers so far: It looks like you’ll have to find some new things to exploit, or just play the right way (the horror!). Chris Smoove and I wasted away a whole quarter with Mike Wang watching, trying to zig-zag dribble and do other cheese moves. We couldn’t pull them off. I managed to somehow pull off a step that would have led to zig-zag dribbling, but when I tried to switch back and take off it didn’t work. It looked like when you tried too quickly switch back, your player would actually do what looked like a crossover dribble back to their opposite hand, moving with their momentum. This took away that quick, drop of a dime cross that we saw last year. Chris and I both professed our elation with this as we had to use our skills to get by the defender instead of cheesing by.

Lies

NEVER listen to someone say cheese is gone/reduced when the game isn't even out OR right after release.

When we are 3 months into the life of the game, THEN say cheese is dead.

I guess my perspective is bias because I'm a basketball die hard, but it's crazy the amount of people who play 2K w/o using sets :lol: I legit can't do it.

It's mostly why I only play w/ my homies or vs the computer. I'm 12 minute quarters, sliders and game speed adjusted to mimic real life, all of that :lol: :lol:

I just started playing with the Celtics in 2k18, and they've got a pretty nice playbook. You can go elbow series with Tatum or brown, or go elbow series w/Kyrie starting on strong side corner and playing out of that, bout to become my favorite team to use outside of the Clips

I guess my perspective is bias because I'm a basketball die hard, but it's crazy the amount of people who play 2K w/o using sets :lol: I legit can't do it.

It's mostly why I only play w/ my homies or vs the computer. I'm 12 minute quarters, sliders and game speed adjusted to mimic real life, all of that :lol: :lol:

I just started playing with the Celtics in 2k18, and they've got a pretty nice playbook. You can go elbow series with Tatum or brown, or go elbow series w/Kyrie starting on strong side corner and playing out of that, bout to become my favorite team to use outside of the Clips

Do you run the motion freelance offenses though? I mean, I can tell you right now that the moment they started introducing motion freelance back in 2K15.............I completely stopped 100% relying on playsets in all 2K games since then. I'll throw a set every once in awhile, but it'll only be after the opposing defense forces my motion freelance to come to a stagnant halt that forces me into ISO.

Then again, I am also like you............I'm not a competitive online 2K player either and mostly play Offline MyLeague with CPU players and sometimes with the homies if they're online.

923E0A49-92D6-44A4-90E6-0FC87CC7FD1D.jpeg

2K will be publishing the next NBA Playgrounds game will is slated to drop Fall 2018.

Have the sets improved that much? :lol: I haven’t played since maybe 2k15. Them joints were a complete waste of time. Spread pnr you get a layup or 3 in 5 seconds. Sets couldn’t compare

Have the sets improved that much? :lol: I haven’t played since maybe 2k15. Them joints were a complete waste of time. Spread pnr you get a layup or 3 in 5 seconds. Sets couldn’t compare

Drastic improvements in this area. Although depending on the game Speed and sliders you use you may not need them but the sets for each of the 30 teams are as legit as hell and when you incorporate your actual real life basketball acumen with the sets you’re running with a team it feels very realistic.

My two major gripes from 2k18:

The amount of missed layups/shots within 5 ft of the rim that NBA players don't miss at such a high clip

On free throws when the shot meter was the same color as the paint. Unacceptable.

Back
Top Bottom