Official NBA Off-Season Thread. New 2012-2013 Thread Has Been Made. Please Post In There

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only issue the Rox would have unloading Scola would be to get a team to find the cap space to take him on. Hefty deals like that are tough to take on without sending someone back, always the issue.

Lowry is the man, but Reke is a high lottery pick and former ROY. Giving up him and #5 is too much, I think.

Also, under the new CBA, the Rockets can not trade all their ones this year for Howard since they can't trade consecutive year picks. they technically as of now do not have one next year since the Nets own those rights in the Terrance Williams trade. (Rockets have protected it for three years and then it turns into 2 second rounders.)

So they can't trade the three picks they currently have for Howard unless they keep one. (as of right now assuming they do not acquire more) I do not think the Nets will help them in making a trade where they can get that protected pick back in order to trade for Howard unless they know Howard is not the key to DWill returning or that D Will does not care if Dwight ever becomes a member of the Nets.

edit - and Japan, like I said earlier, they can amnesty Scola if they are sure they can get DWill in Houston too.

They can't trade consecutive year picks, but I'm pretty sure they can trade picks from the SAME year, if they have it.

Yes. But they got to Keep ONE.

So If they get the 7th as an example and have 18, 16, 14, and 7 they must keep ONE of those. They can't all move in one trade. does not matter which one they keep.   As of now, the Rockets can move TWO first round draft picks anyway they want.   Can't move all three they have for one player unless they get a 1 this year in that trade. 

Just some thoughts on the last few pages...

-any team with Tyreke Evans on it will never succeed

-i love what the rockets are doing to get Dwight, Dragic and Dwight can be a VERY GOOD combo. Plus Parson has been surprising alot of people, not a bad team to build around. Dragic is already better than everyone on the Magic. I see Dwight staying because of their bright future and coaching staff.

-MKG MUST GO TOP 3. A top 3 team that passes on him will regret it. If he slides to 5, the Kings would be idiots to pass up on him.

-Love the move the Twolves did. I'd move DWill to the Warriors maybe and draft Jeremy Lamb or Drummond if he's available.

I'll just change the title of the season thread to off-season thread, HOOD. Then when the season comes around I'll make a new one.

I'm not against the Chase Budinger trade, but I think the Timberwolves could have gotten something a little better in return for the #18. Nonetheless, Adelman KNOWS Budinger's strengths and there will be no awkward process where he'd be throwing him out there trying to get him to gel. Budinger's a known commodity. The transition should be seamless. I'm assuming he'll end up starting out on the wing at one of the two spots unless Kahn has something else on the horizon.

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Dwight Howard & Deron Williams reportedly have no interest in going to the Rockets together[/h1]With rumors everywhere that the the Rockets are preparing to make a home run offer to the Magic for Dwight Howards, comes two separate reports that puts a dark cloud on the situation. The prevailing wisdom was that the Rockets completed trade for the #18 pick for Chase Budinger, and other rumored deals involving the Kings and Raptors lottery picks, were all part of an elaborate master plan to have Dwight Howard and Deron Williams join forces in Houston. Unfortunately, Dwight Howard and Deron Williams have little to no interest in joining forces as members of the Houston Rockets.

Via Sam Amick, Sports Illustrated
Source close to Brooklyn PG Deron Williams says Houston not likely to be added to his free agency wish list even if the Rockets get Dwight Howard. Williams is focused on the Nets or Dallas, his hometown team.

Via David Aldridge, NBA.com
Amid a report that stated the Houston Rockets are hoping to amass enough trade assets to make a deal with the Orlando Magic for Dwight Howard – even though Howard would only be in Houston for one season before becoming an unrestricted free agent in the summer of 2013 — a source with knowledge of Howard’s thinking said Monday that there was “not a chance

Did they trade their draft pick from last year? I'm pretty sure they didn't. As long as they own their 2013 pick, should be fine.

Anybody else heard rumors of the Pacers signing Greg Oden to backup Hibbert? I love that move, he can be had for cheap. Hopefully he can stay healthy, because I know he feels like he has something to prove

What is Sacramento thinking? Trading a Rookie of the Year, and a play maker isn't going to make them better for whoever they get. Sacramento has alot of talent and they need to get defensive personnel and a disciplined and defensive minded coach.

Reke' is a hell of a talent and should be the face of the Kings.

I didn't watch hardly any college basketball this season admittedly, but MGK has the slowest, low release point, most blockable jumpshot I have seen in a long time.

Anybody heard about this? I checked some Boston sites and beat writers as well as OKC ones, and nobody has anything definitive. The speculation it has created though, is that OKC knew about Jeff Green's heart condition prior to trading him. Of course, that would make whoever made that decision literally the devil to risk his life playing him just to create trade value and dump him. However, it still doesn't excuse that he passed Boston's physical 17 months ago, played the rest of the season for them, and the condition wasn't discovered until Dec 17, 2011. So I don't get how we owe them anything.

NEW YORK – NBA commissioner David Stern has punished the Oklahoma City Thunder, ordering them to send a future draft pick to the Boston Celtics as compensation for the heart problems that Jeff Green suffered with the Celtics, league sources told Yahoo! Sports. Jeff Green took a seat for the season in December. (USPW)

Oklahoma City will send Boston the 2013 second-round pick that it controls from Charlotte. Expected to be the worst team in the league again, Charlotte's pick will likely be the 31st overall.

After Green had season-ending surgery for an aortic aneurysm in December, Boston's doctors constructed a case to take to the NBA trying to show proof that Oklahoma City owed the Celtics some kind of compensation, sources said. The Thunder had traded Green to the Celtics in February of 2011 as part of a package for center Kendrick Perkins.

Green missed the 2011-'12 season with the condition, but plans a comeback this year. Green will be a free agent, and Boston has shown interest in re-signing him.

Basketball Reasons

deronbkn.jpeg

Please tell me this isn't the so called High Rise he bought 10 minutes from the arena.

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

Srs: will Josh, Dwight, & Deron happen?
Now that'd be a dream. I'd find it hard not enjoy the hell out of watching w/e team all 3 end up on. Don't think it happens though.

Wait, didn't Jeff Green pass the physical in the trade for Perkins? How is Stern trying to punish OKC now for it?

David Aldridge said even if Rockets offered that deal to King they have no interest at all.

Rockets have already hit the wall

Japan - The nets have the rights to the 2013 as i stated. It is just protected if they don't make the playoffs. They do not have a pick for 2013.  If the rockets made the playoffs this year, the nets would have their pick.   They traded it in the Sasha/Twill three team trade three years ago. 
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

They can trade TWO of there THREE this season right now with out getting a 1st back this year. they can't trade next year cause the nets have it unless the rockets don't get a lottery pick 8-1 I believe.   If they wanted to trade all three, they need to get a 1 this year back from whatever team they deal all their picks too. 

Originally Posted by DipsetGeneral

What is Sacramento thinking? Trading a Rookie of the Year, and a play maker isn't going to make them better for whoever they get. Sacramento has alot of talent and they need to get defensive personnel and a disciplined and defensive minded coach.

Reke' is a hell of a talent and should be the face of the Kings.

Cosign..... if you had said this after his rookie season
laugh.gif

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q84

Teams are restricted from trading away future first round draft picks in consecutive years. This is known as the "Ted Stepien Rule." Stepien owned the Cavs from 1980-83, and made a series of bad trades (such as the 1982 trade mentioned above) that cost the Cavs several years' first round picks. As a result of Stepien's ineptitude, teams are now prevented from making trades which might leave them without a first round pick in consecutive future years.

The Stepien rule applies only to future first round picks. For example, if this is the 2011-12 season, then a team can trade its 2012 first round pick without regard to whether they had traded their 2011 pick, since their 2011 pick is no longer a future pick. But they can't trade away both their 2012 and 2013 picks, since both are future picks. Teams sometimes work around this rule by trading first round picks in alternate years.

When dealing with protected picks, the Stepien rule is interpreted to mean that teams can't trade a pick if there is any chance it will leave the team without a first round pick in consecutive future drafts. Suppose a team makes a trade in 2011-12 that conveys a first round pick sometime from 2012 to 2017. The pick is protected only if it is the first overall pick from 2012 to 2017, and if it is not conveyed by 2017, the other team gets cash instead. In other words, in order to avoid sending a pick from 2012 to 2016, the team would have to win the first overall pick in the draft lottery five seasons in a row. Even though the likelihood of this happening is essentially nil, the team is not allowed to trade its 2018 pick.

Houston might have traded Budinger away to acquire a pick that wouldn't be included in any other deal. Of course, Houston could just pick the player(s) Orlando wants and complete a trade after the draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom