Official NBA Off-Season Thread. New 2012-2013 Thread Has Been Made. Please Post In There

Status
Not open for further replies.
Adidas 2012 Rookie Class
14deeb0af71911e1829522000a1de782_7.jpg

8)

Rank their projected 2012-2013 NBA seasons in your own personal order: Kyrie, Wall, Reke.

Kyrie 25 and 6. Super high ceiling on him in my opinion, really love his game could definitely see him becoming a top 3 guard
Wall 22, 5, 9
Reke 22, 5,5

Last edited:
Kyrie 25 and 6. Super high ceiling on him in my opinion, really love his game could definitely see him becoming a top 3 guard
Wall 22, 5, 9
Reke 22, 5,5
i like tyreke and all but he couldnt even average 22 pts in his best year (injury free and best player on the team). not sure how he will average 22 points this year with all those mouths to feed in SAC. also he's playing out of position (SF)

Wall 22, 5, 9
Reke 22, 5,5
Those are huge numbers for all three, man. A bit unrealistic for my taste. Too high expectations.

they in different systems far as touches shots etc..hard to compare on two stats u have to really observe the actual individual players

Those are huge numbers for all three, man. A bit unrealistic for my taste. Too high expectations.

A man can dream :lol:, but yea I doubt Reke is putting that up at SF, he's a guard.
You can quote me on Kyrie though.
Anybody think we'll see Greg Oden again? Somebodies going to take that chance right?

A man can dream :lol:, but yea I doubt Reke is putting that up at SF, he's a guard.
You can quote me on Kyrie though.
Anybody think we'll see Greg Oden again? Somebodies going to take that chance right?

I think Oden will get another shot, low risk high reward signing for the minimum. Staying healthy is a big if, but if he stays healthy he's a double double contributor.

I think Oden will get another shot, low risk high reward signing for the minimum. Staying healthy is a big if, but if he stays healthy he's a double double contributor.

I was gonna get me a oden jersey.... The price was >D so I pass.

Last edited:
That's what I'm thinking, if he's rehabbed correctly it could it be a younger grant hill situation, since his knees are technically still fresh with so little games under his belt.
With his track record though I expect him to tear his acl walking to the media room for press when he does sign.:smh:
It's a shame man, I thought it would be between him, Howard & Bynum for best C right now.
If him & B roy would have stayed healthy with Aldridge, :x

With Derrick Rose, Ricky Rubio and Iman Shumpert recovering from ACL tears, I figure this would be worth a read for some:
ACL Tears

Since Derrick Rose suffered a torn ACL last Saturday, there has been plenty of discussion by players, coaches, media members and fans about whether Rose's injury, along with another torn ACL for Iman Shumpert of the New York Knicks, could be traced back to this season's compacted post-lockout schedule. The evidence, including my comprehensive research and a slightly different study posted by Doug VanDerwerken on TeamRankings.com, suggests that injuries are flat or even down this season.

I will say this for the cynics: Derrick Rose's injury was in one sense far out of the ordinary. It was the first ACL tear suffered by a current All-Star--that is, Michael Redd doesn't count as an All-Star in 2009--since Danny Manning in 1995. To find a player of truly comparable ability suffering a torn ACL, we'd have to go all the way back to Bernard King in 1985. So Rose's injury, along with Shumpert's and one suffered by rookie standout Ricky Rubio during the regular season, makes it worthwhile to investigate the nature of ACL injuries in the NBA. To study the issue, I updated a spreadsheet I began several years ago with the help of detailed research by the good folks at the APBR.

Going back to the 1999-00 campaign and not including this year's results, I found 40 ACL tears suffered by NBA players in games, practices, or even during summer workouts while under contract. That averages out to 3.3 per year, lower than the figure ("about five") Stern quoted to ESPN Radio's Colin Cowherd. My data may be incomplete; either way, the four we've seen this year is nothing unusual.

Of those 40, 22 involved players with usable pre- and post-injury numbers to compare. That's a relatively small sample size, but such is the nature of rare injuries. On average, these players saw their per-minute winning percentage drop from .452 to .405, a 10.4 percent decline in their effectiveness. 15 of the 22 got worse.

As interesting is a comparison of some of their key statistics before and after the injury:

Period MPG Usg TS% Reb% Ast% Stl% Blk% FTA% Win%
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Before 24.0 .206 .528 .113 .026 .013 .013 .119 .452
After 21.7 .194 .502 .114 .024 .013 .012 .114 .405

Despite the obvious impact on athleticism, players coming back from torn ACLs have generally maintained their performance in the "hustle" statistics--rebounding actually up slightly, steals and blocks similar. The change is most evident in their scoring numbers, as players coming back from torn ACLs tend to use fewer possessions and are much less efficient. They also play fewer minutes and tend to miss more time, playing in 75.7 percent of their teams' games after returning.

Unlike what I found with microfracture knee surgery, there does not appear to be much connection between how long players missed and how much their performance suffered. For the most part, the time missed is simply a factor of when in the season players suffer an ACL injury, as most return in training camp. However, it's going to be tough for Rose and Shumpert to make it back by opening night. Of the four players who previously suffered torn ACLs in the month of April, Bonzi Wells (April 6) and Pat Garrity (April 15) were ready at the start of the season. Vitaly Potapenko (April 17) returned in December and Leon Powe (April 19) wasn't back until after the All-Star break. Only one other player (Steven Hunter, about four and a half months) made it back faster than Garrity.

There does seem to be a relationship between a player's age and how much their performance drops off, as shown in the following chart:

120504_acls.jpg

Because of the sample size, the relationship between the two is not statistically significant, but it suggests that a player of Rose's age (23.6) at the time of the injury could be expected to decline by 6.3 percent the following season. Shumpert, not yet 22, is in better position. In his case, the projected decline is just 2.7 percent. (The outlook is even stronger for Ricky Rubio, five months younger than Shumpert and projected to decline by less than two percent.) Of course, in any case, rehabbing a torn ACL means taking away opportunities for Rose and Shumpert to add to their game and develop over the summer.

Looking a year forward (and removing David West, still just one year out from his torn ACL), there is no evidence to support the conventional wisdom that players are better the second season back from an ACL tear. 11 of the 21 players saw their winning percentage decline between their first and second years back after the injury, and on average their winning percentage declined slightly. This is not to say that Rose, Rubio and Shumpert won't improve as young players, just that there's nothing magical about being two years out from an ACL tear.

The good news is that ACL repairs have become fairly routine in the modern NBA. Still, even when the three young guards who have suffered torn ACLs recently are back on the floor, the effects of their injuries could linger.
Link

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom