OFFICIAL NFL OFFSZN THREAD 2023-24: Bill WILDIN

Of course the NFL didn’t like that when they know people will pay hundreds :lol:
According to Kraft the NFL priced it high to keep the broadcast partners happy. They didn’t want to take away their subscribers.

I don’t think the NFL has any interest in being a DTC business. More money in creating bidding wars among broadcasters for the TV/streaming rights.

This may just be my view but I always figured the nfl would make more money having more options

Because of the higher overall price, I just said f it and kept my local cable since I get gifted the package as part of the package I have with the company

But if they had an option for say $100 for just my team’s games, that would be easy money.. and if they had per game purchase prices, I’d be inclined to buy specific games if I couldn’t find it elsewhere (like a pay per view option)

And obviously you’d still have a ton of people signing up for the whole package because a ton of people always have.. but I think you’d get more people if more options were there

But I also always thought the nfl should treat the tv and streaming rights separately and look for providers for both

But I also always thought the nfl should treat the tv and streaming rights separately and look for providers for both
That would devalue the product. FOX isn’t paying billions for some something customers can also get on Netflix. NFL doesn’t care how we consume it, just who will pay the most and is capable of delivering it to us.

Dealing with a highly concentrated, cash-rich customer base (distributors) is far more ideal than chasing down 400+ million fans paying different prices.

That would devalue the product. FOX isn’t paying billions for some something customers can also get on Netflix. NFL doesn’t care how we consume it, just who will pay the most and is capable of delivering it to us.

Dealing with a highly concentrated, cash-rich customer base (distributors) is far more ideal than chasing down 400+ million fans paying different prices.

That might devalue the overall individual price for a single entity

But combined given the desperation for live sports, especially NFL live sports they could get a higher overall price

Just like the league selling multiple entities games at 1 and 4

I assumed the Thursday games being on prime and nfl network and then fox were a dry run

But if the nfl offers something, a tv or streaming entity is going pay for it.. just look at the ratings for the draft and even pro bowl

That might devalue the overall individual price for a single entity

But combined given the desperation for live sports, especially NFL live sports they could get a higher overall price

Just like the league selling multiple entities games at 1 and 4

I assumed the Thursday games being on prime and nfl network and then fox were a dry run

But if the nfl offers something, a tv or streaming entity is going pay for it.. just look at the ratings for the draft and even pro bowl
If there was more money in a DTC model and/or offering non-exclusive broadcast rights then trust that the NFL would’ve done it by now. “Generational talent” TLaw isn’t getting his $275Ms any other way :lol:

If there was more money in a DTC model and/or offering non-exclusive broadcast rights then trust that the NFL would’ve done it by now. “Generational talent” TLaw isn’t getting his $275Ms any other way :lol:

I’m not going assume the nfl doing or not doing something is the smartest decision

But this would be far from the first time the same media product gets paid to be distributed over multiple platforms

The most obvious being sitcoms in syndication, which have also faced issues with music rights on streaming platforms (which ends up being another pay day for whoever holds the rights to songs in episodes)

The nfl itself does it and has done it.. with games they did the initial deal with Amazon.. and do it with the draft that is on multiple cable channels and also do it with games globally

While I get fox, cbs, Netflix, prime and whoever else would want exclusivity.. I have zero clue why the nfl wouldn’t want more products to sell and let a clearly desperate market dictate the price

Keeping Sunday ticket expensive forces people who can’t afford it to watch whatever game is “free” on cbs/fox. You give everybody Sunday ticket for $70, ratings for the “free” games plummet since people can watch the game they “want,” not the game they’re being forced to watch. I would imagine somehow those “low(er)” ratings in the nationally televised game could affect negotiations on the amount of money cbs/fox would pay for the NFL contract

Sheesh get your money Sunshine.

You better finally start looking "generational" this season doe. :emoji_eyes:

Back
Top Bottom