Official NT dad thread: can the dads get love

I missed my golden opportunity fam. Girlfriend woke me up the other day saying "I'm pregnant," and I blanked out. I always wanted my response to be "Hi pregnant, I'm dad."

Surreal moment though. My only reaction was to grab her and hug her tight. First doctors appointment is this Thursday. I'm putting that energy out there that everything is proceeding normally and the baby is healthy. According to her she should be anywhere from 6-8 weeks along.

Got two books on the way, but I am open to suggestions.

I missed my golden opportunity fam. Girlfriend woke me up the other day saying "I'm pregnant," and I blanked out. I always wanted my response to be "Hi pregnant, I'm dad."

Surreal moment though. My only reaction was to grab her and hug her tight. First doctors appointment is this Thursday. I'm putting that energy out there that everything is proceeding normally and the baby is healthy. According to her she should be anywhere from 6-8 weeks along.

Got two books on the way, but I am open to suggestions.
my only piece of advice RGHT NOW
be careful of her mood swings
and how sensitive pregnant woman can be
they can end up crying over the littlest things

Corny dad jokes been in our relationship since day one.
i understand man. i posted this yesterday. it's a rubber brain on a ferrari.
69642555_2519928884740045_4160369188516397056_n.jpg

Well we officially signed up our daughter for soccer yesterday. I never played it so I have no clue on rules or anything so we’ll all be learning. She’s only 3 so this will be fun.
We signed up our daughter for ballet last month and she loves it. Some moms though in there are pretty ridiculous. They’re more concerned with their kid being in front than anything. We had a mom grab her daughter from the back where the teacher placed her and then put her in front of our daughter. I had to hold my wife down cause she was gonna regulate. Doesn’t help that the teacher just gets walked all over by this group of moms. I told my wife that this is some stuff we’ll have to deal with from now on no matter what activity our daughter is in.

I’m pretty heavy in the car industry and lucky that my son has followed my lead into it. He loves cars! Names them and even can tell some by sound. It’s a great field and even if you are not into cars show your kids a car show or two. It might spark something.

Since we got the approval from the doctor to get out and about he’s been at car shows and traveled around the world with me. It really opens their eyes.

Also the diversity of the different makes and models shows them different is good!
8961906F-0C56-4ACD-81AB-CC6377AB1BB4.jpeg

we finally put my son in martial arts. there’s a dude i know who trains olympic-caliber judo. i asked him for a decent school close to my house but i should have been more specific. i didn’t want the kind of class where everyone hugs each other and gets a trophy but i’m not sure i was ready for a teacher that snaps. he totally yells at the kids and grabs em and pushes them around. straight cobra kai steez. my son is totally trippin that they grab each other and try to throw each other to the ground in class. plus, he’s not very coordinated.

i’m hoping he gets toughened up a little but not get his spirit totally crushed. mostly i want my son to learn how to focus better and have that cross over to his schoolwork. he’s great academically but with more focus, he’d be outstanding.

i first considered jiu jitsu but i wasn’t sure my son would be ok with how technical it can be. it would have been my first choice if my boy was really athletic. come to find out, this judo class starts off with quite a bang :lol:

i almost think i should have put him in one of those fun karate classes where you pay the money and they get their belt promotions :lol:

My son is going to do a martial art soon. Just have to narrow it down. We found one that does a mixture of taekwondo , Muay Thai and jujitsu. I like the variety for him so he won’t get bored. Just need to sit in on some classes to see if the actually teach the kids or just let the screw around for an hour

Yo NT Dads! Hopefully I can get some direction on a situation I’m facing. My daughter is almost two and doesn’t really say much ie. She doesn’t really know many words. She can communicate through gestures such as wanting water (she’ll tug my hand and then run to where the water is) while mumbling. She says what I want to say is Que (what in Spanish since i used to say this all the time to her), Mama, Go, a rendition of book (more like ook), and recently Nah/No and don’t. We’ve been recommended to a speech therapist for speech delayed children. What’s crazy is that my mom said I was the exact same way, I actually was 3 almost 4 and would only make sounds, no words at all. My wife is getting anxious and thinks our daughter may have some form of autism and I honestly believe it’s just a speech delay as she plays with other kids, family members, and she looks at us (although she doesn’t turn to us at times when we call her name). Basically, any NT dads had a little one that was speech delayed?

we finally put my son in martial arts. there’s a dude i know who trains olympic-caliber judo. i asked him for a decent school close to my house but i should have been more specific. i didn’t want the kind of class where everyone hugs each other and gets a trophy but i’m not sure i was ready for a teacher that snaps. he totally yells at the kids and grabs em and pushes them around. straight cobra kai steez. my son is totally trippin that they grab each other and try to throw each other to the ground in class. plus, he’s not very coordinated.

i’m hoping he gets toughened up a little but not get his spirit totally crushed. mostly i want my son to learn how to focus better and have that cross over to his schoolwork. he’s great academically but with more focus, he’d be outstanding.
DAC0615E-80A9-4CDC-B039-5CFF95B5802C.gif

Yo NT Dads! Hopefully I can get some direction on a situation I’m facing. My daughter is almost two and doesn’t really say much ie. She doesn’t really know many words. She can communicate through gestures such as wanting water (she’ll tug my hand and then run to where the water is) while mumbling. She says what I want to say is Que (what in Spanish since i used to say this all the time to her), Mama, Go, a rendition of book (more like ook), and recently Nah/No and don’t. We’ve been recommended to a speech therapist for speech delayed children. What’s crazy is that my mom said I was the exact same way, I actually was 3 almost 4 and would only make sounds, no words at all. My wife is getting anxious and thinks our daughter may have some form of autism and I honestly believe it’s just a speech delay as she plays with other kids, family members, and she looks at us (although she doesn’t turn to us at times when we call her name). Basically, any NT dads had a little one that was speech delayed?
Don’t sweat it, I know ppl in the same situation and things worked out

My kid was the same way, but never thought about the autism thing. Do you guys let her watch a lot of tv or screen time on an iPad. Those 2 things are huge in delaying speech from what I’ve heard from my teacher and speech therapy friends.

My daughter was fairly similar. In addition to her speech delay, she also did not walk until 18 months, so she had us very worried.

We did the speech therapy thing for about 18 months. It helped, but the biggest improvements came from the ton of work my wife did with her. So many things she looked up, purchased, and spent time teaching to our daughter. Daughter is now 4 years old and while her speech isn't as clear as we'd like it to be, and she does still have moments where she struggles to find the words, she's so much further along now than where she was.

Then our son turned out to be even worse than our daughter in terms of speech delay. He's 21 months right now. He just recently (like 3 weeks ago) started saying dada and ball. That's it. For the longest time he made only the "hmmm" sound. Our daughter was at least saying mama, dada, milk, and other simple things very early on. Recently he has begun to make more sounds, but he is still extremely verbally limited. His comprehension is through the roof however.

I'm kind of worried. Wish it was simple. But I do have faith that it'll be fine. But we're putting in work with him too.

I also believe a fair amount of it has to do with the fact that I am not a talkative person. I enjoy quiet and will not say words for hours.

Last edited:
My kid was the same way, but never thought about the autism thing. Do you guys let her watch a lot of tv or screen time on an iPad. Those 2 things are huge in delaying speech from what I’ve heard from my teacher and speech therapy friends.
We let our daughter spend too much time on the tablet from an early age with a lot of nursery rhyme videos.

But we actually did the exact opposite with our son. No tablet or phone until about 2 - 3 weeks ago.

We are guilty of just about always having the tv on as background noise however.

I was talking to my wife about how we did let our daughter watch all of those nursery rhyme videos and she started her road to talking way earlier than our son, so we decided to give him the tablet and let him watch some videos. But he's actually spending most of his time on ABCMouse (since they have a smartTV that they operate pretty damn well on their own and can just watch youtubekids on there...if I hear baby shark one more time...)

Unfortunately I’ve noticed us letting her watch a lot of Pocoyo, Word Party, and Super Why! Now that you mention it it makes a lot of sense as to how it can delay speech developments.

My daughter was fairly similar. In addition to her speech delay, she also did not walk until 18 months, so she had us very worried.

We did the speech therapy thing for about 18 months. It helped, but the biggest improvements came from the ton of work my wife did with her. So many things she looked up, purchased, and spent time teaching to our daugther. Daughter is now 4 years old and while her speech isn't as clear as we'd like it to be, and she does still have moments where she struggles to find the words, she's so much further along now than where she was.

Then our son turned out to be even worse than our daughter in terms of speech deleay. He's 21 months right now. He just recently (like 3 weeks ago) started saying dada and ball. OThat's it. For the longest time he made only the "hmmm" sound. Our daughter was at least saying mama, dada, milk, and other simple things very early on. Recently he has begun to make more sounds, but he is still extremely verbally limited. His comprehension is through the roof however.

I'm kind of worried. Wish it was simple. But I do have faith that it'll be fine. But we're putting in work with him too.

I also believe a fair amount of it has to do with the fact that I am not a talkative person. I enjoy quiet and will not say words for hours.
Yup, our daughter does the “hhhmmm” a lot but honestly man I’m glad you’ve gotten progress with your 4 year old & that you’re tackling it with your 21 month old. I talked to my mom about it today and she said it’s extremely good that we’re working on it this early as opposed to doing the whole “waiting it out”. What kinda of exercises would you and your wife do in conjunction with your 4 year olds speech therapy lessons?

The autism thing did cross my mind, but other things like smiling/laughing, eye contact, playing with others doesn't seem to be much of an issue.

I'm more so replaying the few times they fell on their head and wondering if that was the issue. We let both of them sleep in our bed...there were a few nights where they would roll too far.

Unfortunately I’ve noticed us letting her watch a lot of Pocoyo, Word Party, and Super Why! Now that you mention it it makes a lot of sense as to how it can delay speech developments.

Yup, our daughter does the “hhhmmm” a lot but honestly man I’m glad you’ve gotten progress with your 4 year old & that you’re tackling it with your 21 month old. I talked to my mom about it today and she said it’s extremely good that we’re working on it this early as opposed to doing the whole “waiting it out”. What kinda of exercises would you and your wife do in conjunction with your 4 year olds speech therapy lessons?
Wish I could give you a great answer, but my wife did a lot of the work. I know a good amount of it was hooked on phonics based things. Getting her to not just know the alphabet, but also understand the sounds the letters can make.

Tons of cards with the first 200 - 300 words kids should know.

Most recently they were working on word family items. Words ending in ail, ell, ing, ow etc. Also words beginning in bl, br, dr, etc.

We got her a little learning desk for her 2nd christmas...an item we're probably going to buy for our son as well.

She also got this thing from amazon...it's an apple, you put letters in side of it and the thing tells you the letter and some words beginning with the letter. It's called Tad's Fridge Phonics. She wanted this thing really bad. Apparently we got the 1 letter version, but there is a 3 letter version on Amazon that costs like 120 bucks.

Here's the fridge phonics thing.
Amazon product ASIN B07C4ZXP31
Here's the desk
Amazon product ASIN B012CEP182They make inserts for the desk for other learning activities.

Last edited:
My son just started preschool. Dude is hella energetic and loved, but it’s a pain to get him to do chores and what not (clean up his toys, shoes, plates, etc...). He’s an only child so we were also really worried about how he would interact with other kids and sharing.

One week in and the teachers are telling us he:
1. Cleans up after himself AND other kids :lol:
2. Takes care and consults the other kids who are crying cause they’re scared and not with their parents.

Me and my wife were literally shook :lol:

Last edited:
My 4 month old daughter has recently been having some tough days in terms of crying badly and being fussy all day and worse at night. She's constantly arching her back and doc seemed to think it was constipation and recommended starting her on pear purees but she's since been going every day and is still fussy and seemingly gassy. I read about intussusception where the intestine folds over itself and seemed to think this is it. Anyone had this and can tell me what it's like?

I read about intussusception where the intestine folds over itself and seemed to think this is
did you bring this up to the doctor and what did he say? is that a common thing?

my daughter was crying a ton at night at around 2.5 months. we tried giving her gripe water and that helped a little but it’s a lot of liquid for an infant to take from the syringe. our doc said to give simethicone instead and my daughter is much less gassy with that and play pumping her legs bicycle style both before bed.

Back
Top Bottom