***OFFICIAL PHILADELPHIA EAGLES 2011 SEASON THREAD***

2 Cal Berkeley Bears on this team: Asomugha and D Jackson. Makes me proud man. 
smile.gif

DJax to report on Monday
BETHLEHEM, Pa. -- DeSean Jackson will report to Eagles training camp on Monday, according to a source close to the wide receiver.

Jackson has already missed the first 11 days of camp. He is believed to want a new contract. The four-year receiver must report to Lehigh University by Tuesday if he doesn't want to forfeit a year toward free agency.

A message left Jackson's agent, Drew Rosenhaus, was not immediately returned Saturday.

The Eagles have not started negotiations with Jackson over an extension, a team source said. The team typically does not negotiate with holdouts, a stance reiterated by Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie on Thursday. Jackson is in the last year of a four-year deal he signed as a rookie. He is slated to earn approximately $600,000 in base salary this season.

The Eagles don't practice Tuesday but have 8:05 a.m. and 2:45 p.m. practices scheduled for Monday. It is unclear if Jackson will be able to participate in either session.

Read more: http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/DeSean-to-report-Monday.html#ixzz1UIJQaIsI 
Watch sports videos you won't find anywhere else

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/82985662.html

he will get his contract, he is close with Reid and tight with Vick

I think I'm gonna break down and buy a Home Vick authentic, I ruined my Mitchell and Ness Randall last year...damn wing sauce 
mad.gif

I made a promise to myself that I wouldn't buy any other jersey than an Eagles Dawkins jersey... everyone who dropped 70+ a Kolb jersey is mad.

I messed up my Vick jersey in a flag football game last Thanksgiving.
laugh.gif

Def need a new one. Maybe a D Jack and a Nnamdi one as well.
smokin.gif

I got drunk as hell when the Eagles lost to the Cards in the NFC Championship and cut off my LJ Smith jersey (yes sadly I owned that) right off my body with a knife and poured vokda on it in the snow and lit it on fire
laugh.gif

I was so heated at that game

dropping $260 on a jersey sucks but I like the authentics

I need to get a Vick, Djax and Nnamdi jersey. Even though I wear my Dawkins jersey every time they play. 

I got a black authentic Vick. On the verge of copping a white authentic DeSean, but thats pending on if he gets this contract extension or not.

Man, I really need to get an Eagles jersey. Unfortunately here in Canada the prices are insane and not many places carry any Eagles jerseys
30t6p3b.gif

how do you guys like the current authentics? are they worth the $260, if not i'll wait for a M&N sale and cop a Reggie or Randall and work with my crappy $80 1960 kelly green Vick

the MLB authentics are def not worth the price, Majestic uses cheap ^$% materials

Originally Posted by StillIn729

how do you guys like the current authentics? are they worth the $260, if not i'll wait for a M&N sale and cop a Reggie or Randall and work with my crappy $80 1960 kelly green Vick

the MLB authentics are def not worth the price, Majestic uses cheap ^$% materials
I think i might wait untill 2012 when nike starts making the jerseys to cop one, the reebok cut is horrible

Originally Posted by Shox23

Originally Posted by StillIn729

I think i might wait untill 2012 when nike starts making the jerseys to cop one, the reebok cut is horrible
that's right, I forgot Nike was taking over...you just made up my mind, I hate Reeboks cut, it fits like a dress

Desean is in Philly tonight
pimp.gif

@Jeff_McLane this guy is a good person to follow on twitter for all eagles news

Looks like two rookies will be manning the middle of both sides of the ball. Casey and Kelce starting?

Heard the issue with Patterson isn't as serious as they thought and he'll be ready to go in a few weeks.

Great news.
pimp.gif

^SWAG.
pimp.gif

Nnamdi didn't practice today due to Upper Leg Inflammation. NOTHING serious at all, though.

Jason Babin knocking Vick down in a scrimmage.
laugh.gif
Andy Reid got on him quick.
laugh.gif

Here's some updates on the injuries, and some notes from the last practice,
Asomugha has leg inflammation; Harris still at RT

BETHLEHEM, Pa. -- Nnamdi Asomugha missed most of Saturday's practice with an unidentified injury, but the Eagles apparently thought it wasn't serious enough to add the cornerback to the injury list.

A day and missed practice later, Asomugha is on the list with an upper leg inflammation. "Just a bit of soreness. We'll work through that," Eagles coach Andy Reid said. "Might be a day or two."

Trent Cole had an elbow injury and missed Sunday morning's practice. Reid said the defensive end would be back in a day.

The Eagles had no update on defensive tackle Mike Patterson's condition. Reid said that Patterson, who had a seizure last week and is believed to have an arteriovenous malformation near his brain, would resume testing on Monday. Reid also had nothing new regarding wide receiver Jeremy Maclin's illness. He said Maclin was still undergoing testing.

"Once the tests are all in that I'll let you know," Reid said. (We're waiting ...)

Cornerback Nate Allen (knee), who sat out Saturday, returned to practice but did not participate in every phase. "We're just being smart with him," Reid said of Allen, who had knee surgery to correct a ruptured patellar tendon in December.

Defensive tackle Antonio Dixon (knee), cornerback Jorrick Calvin (elbow) and running back Dion Lewis (ankle) also returned. Defensive tackle Anthony Hargrove left practice early with cramps. Cornerback Isaiah Trufant dislocated his finger and it lacerated.

Defensive tackle Trevor Laws (hip) and wide receiver Sinorice Moss (slight groin strain) were still injured and missed the morning session. Reid said that tackle Winston Justice (knee), who remains on the Physically Unable to Perform List, was "not there yet." The coach that Justice could be back in "maybe a week or a couple days."

There appeared to finally be some stability at right tackle -- well, if two practices in a row can be considered stable -- with Ryan Harris starting for the second straight day.

"Our new guy got in there for two days in a row, so I guess that's saying something," Reid said of the recent free agent signing.

It’s the first time in awhile that the same player has held down blind side blocking for Michael Vick for more than just one day. Harris has looked by far the best of the bunch. While it’s still very early – he’s only been there two days – it looks like he could be a quick upgrade over Winston Justice.

Here are practice notes and observations:

-- Jim Washburn wants his defensive line to be in constant attack mode. The only problem: some are so eager that they’ve been jumping offsides on a regular basis. Jason Babin was a culprit today. So was Hargrove – who maybe expended a little too much energy yesterday. He walked to the trainer’s tent early and did not return to practice.

-- Cullen Jenkins looks very quick from the defensive tackle spot. He gave the guards trouble in one-on-one drills. 
pimp.gif

-- Vince Young has looked awful the past two days. Missing passes, slow to get the ball to open men. He also botched one hand off. To be fair, it was only his third day in practice, but he’s got a long way to go.

-- Babin rushed in untouched on Vick and knocked him down. Big no no. Got a talking to from Reid. He’s not the first D lineman to be a little too eager to hit the quarterback.

-- Juqua Parker blew past Ronnie Brown as the new running back tried to pass block.

-- Hargrove and Jenkins were the first team defensive tackles, even with Dixon (knee) back. Dixon, who was wearing a knee brace for the first time, was working with the second team, along with Derek Landri.

-Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie had a nifty interception off of Vick. His coverage has been superb.
pimp.gif

-- Jason Avant quietly puts on a show each day. First he made a leaping, arms extended grab over the middle. Then he made the play of camp: a diving, full extension catch of a Vick lob for a touchdown. DRC was giving chase, but the ball was thrown out of everyone’s reach – almost.

-- New safety Jarrad Page laid a huge hit on wide receiver Rod Harper, knocking the receiver’s helmet off. Harper, though, hung on to the ball.

-- Asante Samuel had another interception off Mike Kafka. He seems to know exactly what the second-year QB is going to do.

-- Jason Kelce continues to split reps with Jamaal Jackson at center. Kelce may emerge as the surprise of training camp – the Eagles may be just trying to get him ready in case Jackson gets hurt. Or he may be pushing the veteran for his job.

-- Curtis Marsh has looked very athletic in coverage and has impressed, especially for a rookie.

-- With Cole out, the defensive linemen rotated with the first team. Babin, Darryl Tapp and Parker each got shots.

Link

Babin
30t6p3b.gif
laugh.gif

He'll be fine..just got a little too eager. Surprised they didn't say more about Casey; he's been beasting through training camp.
pimp.gif

And if Young keeps it up, he'll never step on the field again.

Man, if DRC bounces back this year and gets even better...
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
pimp.gif

Casey has looked great from all accounts but I still wish they'd add one LB, I think they should have just resigned Bradley to a one year deal...he would have taken it to be here

Are you sitting down? The Eagles can redo the contracts for Vick and DeSean -- and STILL be under the cap.

Question I've gotten from tweeters, e-mailers and even one general manager I respect a lot in the last few days, in the wake of Philadelphia signing so many top free agents: How is it possible the Eagles are under the salary cap? Or, as the GM put it to me: "The cap for the rest of us is $120 million. It feels like it's $220 million for them. I really don't know how they did it, but I'm very curious.''

Be curious no more. Be stunned, though. The Eagles, as of this morning, still have $7.79 million of cap room available, easily enough to extend dissatisfied wide receiver DeSean Jackson and to turn the one-year franchise tender of Mike Vick into a long-term deal without severe cap ramifications.

Here's how the Eagles made it happen, according to a league source who has seen the Eagles' up-to-date salary cap configuration for the next two seasons.

Understand this principle to start: The Eagles were not in bad cap shape to begin with. When free agency opened they were at $99 million in commitments to veterans and draft choices. (More about those later.) They had shed big veteran salaries over the last couple of years -- including quarterback Donovan McNabb's -- and by opening day 2010 had the third-youngest 53-man roster in football. Young means salary manageable.

As of Sunday morning, the Eagles' projected roster (there's some guesswork here, but it's close) consisted of 35 players with cap numbers of $1.5 million or less. And only six players -- quarterback Mike Vick ($16.1 million cap number), cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha ($10 million), cornerback Asante Samuel ($9.34 million), tackle Jason Peters ($6.54 million), and defensive ends Jason Babin ($5.3 million) and Trent Cole ($5 million) -- had cap figures of $5 million or more.

Club president Joe Banner explained to me Friday how the market fit into the Eagles' modus operandi. "This was a massive buyer's market,'' he said. "There were something like 500 free agents, and we knew a lot of teams that normally might be in play for many of these guys wouldn't be able to spend much because of their cap situation. So we knew there'd be some spectacular opportunities.''

What's impressive about how Banner and GM Howie Roseman have worked the architecture of the team is that 24 of the top 26 players on the roster today are signed for at least the next two seasons. Only Vick and Jackson are not signed beyond this year from the 26 number.

I expect Vick will get done sometime this year. Jackson might and he might not; he'll report to camp today after a brief holdout, and he'll press to have the last year of his contract ($938,000) renegotiated into a long-term deal. We'll see. Point is, the Eagles may have chemistry issues with this All-Star team, but they won't have the sort of cap issues most people expect.

"This is not one of those Hail Mary passes for one year,'' Banner said. "If something doesn't work out, we'll be in position to adjust.''

Let's examine some of the contracts Banner and Roseman did. Here's where the opportunities came in.

[table][tr][td][/td][/tr][tr][td][table][tr][td]Player[/td][td]2011 cap[/td][td]Guaranteed money beyond 2011[/td][/tr][tr][/tr][tr][td]DE Jason Babin[/td][td]$5.3m[/td][td]0[/td][/tr][tr][/tr][tr][td]DT Cullen Jenkins[/td][td]$4m[/td][td]0[/td][/tr][tr][/tr][tr][td]QB Vince Young[/td][td]$4m[/td][td]0[/td][/tr][tr][/tr][tr][td]RB Ronnie Brown[/td][td]$1.25m[/td][td]0[/td][/tr][tr][/tr][tr][td]CB D. Rodgers-Cromartie (trade)[/td][td]$1.05m[/td][td]0[/td][/tr][tr][/tr][tr][td]T Ryan Harris[/td][td]$785,000[/td][td]0[/td][/tr][tr][/tr][tr][td]DT Anthony Hargrove[/td][td]$750,000[/td][td]0[/td][/tr][tr][/tr][tr][td]S Jarrad Page[/td][td]$735,000[/td][td]0[/td][/tr][tr][/tr][tr][td]DT Derek Landri[/td][td]$575,000[/td][td]0[/td][/tr][/table][/td][/tr][/table]

Not including Asomugha, the eight free agent signings and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, who came from Arizona in the Kevin Kolb trade, have zero dollars promised to them for 2012 and beyond. There are years remaining on contracts, yes. But guarantees, no.

Point is, this is the kind of cap situation that can absorb Vick at $16.1 million this year, and Asomugha at $10 million this year and $11 million next year. And the kind of cap that can accommodate a very good player like Cullen Jenkins, the best rush defensive tackle on the market, who never saw the market develop for him the way he thought it would.

Jenkins thought his first-choice team, Philadelphia, wouldn't sign him after giving Asomugha a four-year, $48-million contract. The Eagles convinced Jenkins they still wanted him badly, but just couldn't pay him what they'd been discussing pre-Nnamdi. After a night to think about it, Jenkins decided he'd rather play where he wanted for $4 million than to go to a Cincinnati-type team for more money. Jenkins figures he'll still have another payday if he outperforms this contract in the first year or two. The reputation of the Eagles helped -- as did some players' desire to play on Vick's team.

One more thing about the Eagles' cap. It's not the league's number of $120.38 million per team. It is actually $125.58 million. That includes $2.2 million in what the league calls "reallocation credits'' from the last capped year, 2009, when the Eagles didn't spend to the cap, and the $3 million every team can borrow from a future cap year to support veteran player costs this season

And, yes, they can fit in Jackson and Vick and not leave themselves hamstrung for the future. That's what happens when you have a guy the organization trusts to set the overall compass for personnel priorities in Andy Reid, two experienced cap and negotiation handlers in Banner and Roseman, a personnel staff led by Ryan Grigson, who can tell the front office the draft outlook a year ahead of time ... with a smart checks-and-balance business guy in Jeff Lurie, the owner. Even with a good football man and GM like Tom Heckert leaving to take the reins in Cleveland, the Eagles turned to Roseman and moved on. A continuum.

One last point for you capaholics: The logic for redoing Vick, at least part of it, would be to lower his cap figure from $16.1 million to some manageable figure maybe half that size. The same league source told me that won't happen. The Eagles will keep Vick's cap number at the same level as it is currently, because if they reduce it, that is money they'll have to include in some other year of the cap. Why not allocate it to the 2011 cap if they have room, so they can have maximum flexibility in future years with Vick on the payroll?

That's right -- the Eagles are in such good shape with their cap that they can afford to redo Vick's deal and easily afford to keep his number at a gargantuan level. That's a team with a plan.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/08/08/tour/index.html#ixzz1URuT20X0

Friday: Split day. Morning: Philadelphia Eagles

Early in the first 7-on-7 team work of the day, Nnamdi Asomugha lined up on wideout Chad Hall. Vince Young was quarterback. Hall juked the cornerback coming off the line, and Young threw the ball maybe 12 yards downfield. It was a little high for both men, but Asomugha, 6-2 and taller than the other cornerbacks the Eagles employ, leapt high and snared the ball cleanly, racing up the right sideline. Crowd went wild.

Interesting thing about Asomugha. He told me that last year in Oakland he played about 15 percent of slot corner, and the rest of the time he played outside. But when he got here last week, he talked to Asante Samuel and Dominique Rogers-Cromartie, the normal starters, and asked what they preferred to do. Both said they preferred to play outside. Now, of course Asomugha is going to start outside, almost certainly opposite Samuel. But in three- and four-corner situations, he told Samuel and Rodgers-Cromartie he'd be happy to play the slot and let them play outside. It may not be up to him, of course, but the fact that he did that says something about Asomugha the man.

Should he play the slot? Certainly, any corner with great cover ability is going to be better out wide, where he's less likely to get caught in traffic and get bounced around. But I have a feeling, barring a trade of Samuel (I can tell you with certainty the Eagles are not planning to trade him, and likely won't seriously consider it unless they get an offer of a first-round pick for him), you'll see a lot of Asomugha in the slot.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/08/08/tour/index.html#ixzz1URzP5mMT

Back
Top Bottom