Official Photography Thread: Vol. ICan'tFindTheLastOne

Originally Posted by Jaw Knee C

Fong - the festival at Japantown was this weekend? Damn, i love going to that festival for the grub.

and that gym looks mad familiar. what school is that again? nice shots by the way. i think you need to focus on a type of shot and perfect it. most of your pictures are interesting but i'm never quite sure what your subject is. Your pictures are always so busy. like the Japatown pictures....there's just too much going on and since you aren't focusing on a particular subject/theme, it just kinda blah. I'm not sure if i'm saying it right.

And KD, nice pano. Kinda weird that the only thing that caught my attention from that whole picture is the little white house in the middle. lol

I am not sure but was a couple of blocks from J-Town. I think the festival ends either Saturday or Sunday cause the parade hasn't happened yet. ANd Ihere what you're saying. i never really shoot with something in mind....especially with panoramics. I think I just take them to take them. Maybe that is anidea though......to shoot with something more in mind and have a focal area. It makes a photo that much better. I just need more patience to check out thescene in what to shoot.

I don't think landscapes which essentially what most of panoramic photographs amount to need a focal point. Clearly in the form of physically longphotograph I think it can function any number of ways a fact its multiple shots stitched together doesn't dictate how it works or what it essentiallyamounts to. I mean theoretically you could shoot a portrait with a panoramic and I think a focal point would be highly necessary but I think some of those workwithout what most of us would call a focal point. That's not to say I'm sold on some of them which I think is what Jaw Knee C is trying to get at, someof them are tad undynamic and really only function in that their form (a panoramic) is some what unique. Like the one on the basketball court I feel like theform fits the function in the sense if give this otherwise normal children's basketball game an awe of the space if you will, personally I think it couldbetter but the form fits the function nonetheless whereas some of the others like the ones from that festival for me atleast it's more just showing atechnical prowess of stitching photographs there's nothing dynamic about the photograph, they're "boring" in a word.

Also, solistik, it feels like it's been a min since you've post in here, it's good to have you back and a nice set of photos to come back with...

Sup_

I believe it was the Cherry Blossom Festival. Went a few years back great food!

Here are some crappy pics...since I haven't contributed in years.
eyes.gif

2s6rait.jpg

swwizq.jpg

14lh8p.jpg

2cpt7bk.jpg

t9flu8.jpg

20ji79h.jpg

25alx6t.jpg

C&Cs are welcome... rip me apart. haha.

Peace.

And KD, nice pano. Kinda weird that the only thing that caught my attention from that whole picture is the little white house in the middle. lol

Thanks, that's what I was going for - I didn't want just a big pano of mountains on either side so I thought that made it more interesting. I wassitting in a peat bog to get it at the right angle too - had to sit in wet jeans for the rest of the day.

im planning on getting a small Supreme duffle bag to put my equipment in (call me a hypebeast,yea,yea)...is there any type of padding i can buy that would fitwith the perimeters of the bag, because i don't really like how many other bags look, but i'd rather have the protection

Originally Posted by ebayologist

I don't think landscapes which essentially what most of panoramic photographs amount to need a focal point. Clearly in the form of physically long photograph I think it can function any number of ways a fact its multiple shots stitched together doesn't dictate how it works or what it essentially amounts to. I mean theoretically you could shoot a portrait with a panoramic and I think a focal point would be highly necessary but I think some of those work without what most of us would call a focal point. That's not to say I'm sold on some of them which I think is what Jaw Knee C is trying to get at, some of them are tad undynamic and really only function in that their form (a panoramic) is some what unique. Like the one on the basketball court I feel like the form fits the function in the sense if give this otherwise normal children's basketball game an awe of the space if you will, personally I think it could better but the form fits the function nonetheless whereas some of the others like the ones from that festival for me atleast it's more just showing a technical prowess of stitching photographs there's nothing dynamic about the photograph, they're "boring" in a word.

Also, solistik, it feels like it's been a min since you've post in here, it's good to have you back and a nice set of photos to come back with...

True. Pano's don't really need to have a focal point but if there was, it would make the pic a lot more interesting. Here are a couple from awhile back I did...
moz-screenshot-3.jpg
moz-screenshot-4.jpg
1in22o.jpg

The focal point is the bench. IMO, it gives the viewer a sense of what he/she is looking at if they sat there.

Here's a another pano....obviously the focal point is the golf range...

2218865017_4f7fc573c3_b.jpg

my cams wack as hell, i do the best i can with it.

i want a dslr bad.

heres what i got, feel free to give some criticism...

2421084467_abe8df6abe_o.jpg

2419047419_27ff4c9276_o.jpg

2419583817_7ebc66367d_o.jpg

fong , how do you take a photo liek your new one posted with the skater in liek 10 dif parts of the picture ? whats this called

thanks !

or is it just photoshop ?

gotem4cheap, what cam do you have?

also how did you get the taxi pic and the mirror pic below it?

what camera lens filters settigns ?

i loe those pics man
nice stuff

Originally Posted by Mr Fongstarr

;
zxjwpy.jpg

This was all from the weekend. I tried to do a little of everything and realized that I suck at shooting in different styles. Props to Quick for the skate shots cause I only got this one of my friend and it's pretty bland. Plus I didn't really set up to do a lot of variations and different perspectives. But maybe with this themed style assignment, i can learn to shoot more universal......

Hey guys how do you guys do the pics with the action shots, like the skateboarding one above.?? Im guessing you use photoshop, is it like how you do thePanoramic shots??

^ you need to keep the camera in the same place and take multiple exposures - you could shoot on the mode where if you keep the button down you get 2 or 3frames a second.

Then open them all up in photoshop and just use a mask to reveal the parts with the person in different places - everything else will be the same.

The only part that gets tricky is where they 'people' overlap - you have to pick which one is on top and carefully draw around it - otherwise youdon't have to be so accurate.

hey guys, I haven't been on in a while, been really busy with stuff...but I just got a D40, and I'm supposed to shoot this event tomorrow. It's afund raising dinner, any tips? I have the 18-55mm lens that came with the camera and that is it. I've been fiddling around with it all night (just got ityesterday) any help? the autofocus doesn't seem to work? HELP!!!! HELP!!! don't want to screw this up...thanks yall
smile.gif

Make sure the little tab on the lens is set to A and also that the autofocus isn't switched off in thecamera menu - I can't remember if that overridesthe lens setting and my camera is at home. I'm just leaving so I'll check when I get home.

thanks a lot, the tab on the lens is set to A and I was waiting for it to autofocus, kinda like my SLR Minolta at home, but it didn't do that. I'llcheck to see if the camera setting overrides it. thanks.

I was right - if you go into the menu and check the autofocus setting you want it set to one of the auto ones (and for shooting something like you are I wouldleave it on continuous servo - it changes focus if the person moves) - if it's on manual here it doesn't matter if the lens is set to auto - itwon't focus.

How to tell, if you're not sure, is that with the lens on manual you can turn the front and make it focus - with the lens on auto it won't let you doit - so with the camera set to manual focus and the lens on auto it won't let you turn it to focus.

Back
Top Bottom