***Official Political Discussion Thread***

Verdict is expected to be announced between 3:30 p.m. and 4 p.m. central time (hour to 90 minutes from now).

I completely understand what you're saying & appreciate the inputs, they're practical to say the least opposed to my idealism :lol: I do think that factory & manufacture facilities could/should be placed in those areas so that we become a producer economy again. That would actually be "trickle down economics", and not even a lot to significantly change the culture & habitat. Just enough to change improve their way of living, access to better information & education, a lot of those places don't have modern internet.

First of all, I doubt manufacturing is coming back to the US in any kind of real numbers. But even if it does, it won't look like it did in the 80's when the Midwest shuttered. Modern plants are highly automated and require a great deal less labor than they did.

Also, there's a reason that the old manufacturing zones were where they were. Shipping tons of material and finished goods out of, say, small town West Virginia just isn't as easy as throwing them onto a boat in the Great Lakes or on one of the rail lines that services those corridors.

I think you'd have more luck getting an information business in with the right labor force and the right incentives. You'd want to encourage growth that had lower barriers to relocating.

But having a large knowledge-based labor pool usually involves some amount of urbanism - even if it's 1980's Boston suburbs style. It won't do to have dozens of mining towns poorly connected by by state roads.

Also, in doing all this, you probably want to avoid creating company towns since we've already been down that road and we know those problems. So again, this pointes to somewhat larger population centers.

I think if we lift them up everyone as whole will be positively be affected by that. Our government could do a lot by that if it were more positively involved and actually looked at these areas and walked through their grounds. It's easier to dismiss something if you have no connection to it.

It's always useful to go talk to people you're trying to help. Even more so if you gain a bit of empathy.

**** like that was obvious and they've clearly decided to stick with the same strategy. Elected republicans don't try to make their constituents' lives better. They act counter to that just so they can say it's the democrats' fault. Anyone who hasn't learned that long ago is being willfully ignorant.

not inflame tensions....

irony.gif

Checking in on what “conservatives” are saying in regards to the Chauvin guilty verdict....and of course, they are calling for Police to boycott 🤦🏾‍♂️🤦🏾‍♂️🤦🏾‍♂️

Back
Top Bottom