***Official Political Discussion Thread***

-All your rants about young progressives and Twitter is exactly that

Your months-long rant in hearing about people's supporting certain types of police reform is exactly that. Especially the accusation of in here that they just wanted some sort of revenge

No.

I was criticizing what they we're doing. not their emotional reaction.

I thought the policies that they were supporting, were bad,
and the political action they we're engaging was actively harmful.

this to me is different than criticizing someone's reaction.
If you want to be mad at Joe Manchin be mad at him, it's totally understandable.
if people are mad at police that's okay also.

So if you wish he would act differently, then the logic must follow that you think either a) It won't hurt his chances are re-election, or b) You think getting things done is the limited time frame Dems have is the most important consideration

no. I don't really know what will or won't hurt his chances, I don't know how to win a senate race in WV. so I defer to Joe Manchin.
and for me joe manchin being a democrat is worth his goofiness. so im never going to get that fired up about the wacky stuff he does. because ive priced it in.

No, I don’t think 125K is too much. But she’s not generating any other income due to her position?

The point I think I’ve been trying to get across, when the cost to attend the event (whether she paid for it herself or not) is more than the take home salary of your average American.
So how much can someone make before they’re not allowed to help the poor anymore? Set the number

In a world where the GOP's goals are basically petty white grievance politics, minority rule, and giving the rule massive tax cuts

And the Dem's goals are multicultural democracy and giving parents money to take care of their kids, old money to get a caregiver, increasing medical benefits, and doing the bare on climate change

"I don't trust the Dems" is the only thing someone had left to pull both sides card without sounding like they are acting completely in bad faith.

No, I don’t think 125K is too much. But she’s not generating any other income due to her position?

The point I think I’ve been trying to get across, when the cost to attend the event (whether she paid for it herself or not) is more than the take home salary of your average American.
I never understood the issue with anyone taking their salary and investing it to growth like anyone else. Isn't that what you're supposed to do? So it grows to a million and now you're supposed to be ashamed?

I learned to never disagree with some of you guys in here lmao. I generally agree on most. I’ll just go back to being a peasant 😭

I learned to never disagree with some of you guys in here lmao. I generally agree on most. I’ll just go back to being a peasant 😭

Every
Single
Time

Idk why ppl get in their feelings, and become defensive when challenged on not well thought out posts. Why are you doing this?

All this does is create the false perception of an echo chamber for your ego, and leads to you falsely feeling like a “victim” who’s “attacked” in here…all because a few people recognized some flaws in a debate you were making. That’s it.

The more constructive thing is to reconsider or think about what was being debated on. But instead, ppl chose resentment and being defensive every single time. And retreat to a corner and throw little shots.

I’ve come to believe that this is simply human nature. I can’t stand it.

Every
Single
Time

Idk why ppl get in their feelings, and become defensive when challenged on not well thought out posts. Why are you doing this?

All this does is create the false perception of an echo chamber for your ego, and leads to you falsely feeling like a “victim” who’s “attacked” in here…all because a few people recognized some flaws in a debate you were making. That’s it.

The more constructive thing is to reconsider or think about what was being debated on. But instead, ppl chose resentment and being defensive every single time. And retreat to a corner and throw little shots.

People just forgot how a conversation is supposed to work. You're not supposed to ask questions, challenge views or be more verifiably knowledgeable on a topic. Sometimes you're not even challenging and disagreeing, you're just asking a question for more clarification and that's taken as an offense.

Again, you said it looks hypocritical due to price. Ok, at what price would it not be. If you can’t answer this then just step 🤷🏽‍♂️

Every
Single
Time

That's what haters do.

And truthfully I just feel like it’s not worth arguing over. Anytime someone has an opinion that differs from most in here, you all gang up and attack them.

The Met Gala is a pointless event and celebrity culture is weird and AOC wearing a “Tax the rich” dress at this celebrity event is weird and pointless as well. Agree to disagree.

I’m just confused because on one hand we want to “tax the rich” and the next we defend millionaires, it’s wild.
It doesn’t change the fact that the wealth gap is insane and the fact that theirs a thread about people living with their parents proves it.

No.

I was criticizing what they we're doing. not their emotional reaction.

I thought the policies that they were supporting, were bad,
and the political action they we're engaging was actively harmful.

this to me is different than criticizing someone's reaction.
If you want to be mad at Joe Manchin be mad at him, it's totally understandable.
if people are mad at police that's okay also.

no. I don't really know what will or won't hurt his chances, I don't know how to win a senate race in WV. so I defer to Joe Manchin.
and for me joe manchin being a democrat is worth his goofiness. so im never going to get that fired up about the wacky stuff he does. because ive priced it in.

-Yet you never seem to consider that educated people that live in American and have to more directly face the consequences of policing, encroaching white supremacy, and Joe Manchin's dooming the country to conservative minority rule have not priced stuff in when they make their takes.

Especially with Manchin, and the consequences of Manchin losing in 2024. But I have priced in that loss to my views already. I don't want him to lose, but you know would soften the blow? If he would agree to vote for DC statehood instead of pushing some nonsense about a constitutional amendment being needed. Rebalancing the Supreme Court would too. So would Voting Rights. But his actions actively raise the negative consequences of him losing. If it was just appealing to regressive white people is one thing. But I consider he might know best when he lies, goes back on his word, protects cooperate interest, and clearly political rent-seeks. I and others should somehow chill with the outrage because he knows how to win in WV? And if I don't put that at the forefront, you act like that is unreasonable, it is mental gymnastics.

Joe Manchin is one of the reasons the Dems hold the Senate. He is also one of the reasons it will become harder and harder for them to win it in the future, whether he wins or loses in 2024. So if you want people to consider holding the Senate of utter importance, then being heated at Manchin's actions makes perfect sense.

But of course, the rhetorically out for you is that you disagree with Manchin's actions. But just assume that everything he does is about protecting that WV seat, and others should make the same calculation or they are ignoring the reality of the situation (and please, you have your shirt off in here taking issue with other people post that you can't act like it is just a matter of your views)

Last edited:
And truthfully I just feel like it’s not worth arguing over. Anytime someone has an opinion that differs from most in here, you all gang up and attack them.

The Met Gala is a pointless event and celebrity culture is weird and AOC wearing a “Tax the rich” dress at this celebrity event is weird and pointless as well. Agree to disagree.

I’m just confused because on one hand we want to “tax the rich” and the next we defend millionaires, it’s wild.
It doesn’t change the fact that the wealth gap is insane and the fact that theirs a thread about people living with their parents proves it.
Sorry, but is nonsense.

One thing is about making the tax code fairer, the other is about what is and isn't a good-faith criticism of someone. They don't conflict

My issue is not that rich people exist, my issue is that the tax code and financial laws unfairly benefit them.

I think people realize that even with higher taxes on the rich, rich people will still exist.

Sorry, but is nonsense.

One thing is about making the tax code fairer, the other is about what is and isn't a good-faith criticism of someone. They don't conflict

My issue is not that rich people exist, my issue is that the tax code and financial laws unfairly benefit them.

I think people realize that even with higher taxes on the rich, rich people will still exist.

I like this explanation. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom