***Official Political Discussion Thread***

My dad was a family doctor in a fairly deprived area his whole career - and sort of pro-life in that he didn’t like abortion as birth control.

But he tells a story in response to people like this. He had a young disabled patient (deaf and blind as well as developmental delay) who was raped by her alcoholic father and became pregnant.

He has no doubts that the right thing to do was to send her for an abortion. Others argued (like they still do) that the child could have been adopted - but it was likely to be disabled, the disabled girl would have to go through 9 months of not understanding what was happening to her with all the associated complications - and then delivery. What were they supposed to do then - just give her a teddy bear and that would all be fine?

That’s the response to idiots like him - hopefully they sputter and backpedal a bit - and then you have the flaw in their argument.

If they don’t then they’re just callous human beings because someone with zero exceptions can’t be anything else.

Virgin Bill Maher

Chad Renegade Cut

This week he went on a rant about how the increase in trans kids is a fad, and people are wrong to encourage it

Mentioned the negative health effects of using puberty blockers

Not a single mention of Republicans going after parents of trans kids for letting them get gender-affirming treatment

Bill Maher's show is basically him claiming he supports something, then making petty rants about people taking it too far.

:rofl:@ lawmakers who have died

hXr1ZnYmznDXimnwC6JZRh7FgON_0.jpg

Congressman Bernie Lomax no longer welcome in Mother Russia :smh:

This week he went on a rant about how the increase in trans kids is a fad, and people are wrong to encourage it

Mentioned the negative health effects of using puberty blockers

Not a single mention of Republicans going after parents of trans kids for letting them get gender-affirming treatment

Bill Maher's show is basically him claiming he supports something, then making petty rants about people taking it too far.

I just watched the clip you mentioned and oh lordy. Bill Maher prides himself on being smart (or at least smarter than conservatives) and yet he hasn't considered the fact that there's always been LGBTQ people and that prevailing legal and social conditions will encourage or discourage LGBTQ people to reveal their sexuality.

So much has gotten worse in recent decades and Bill Maher wants to hate on a genuine bright spot in our society and politics. Zoomers are so much more relaxed about sexual orientation and gender identity compared to our generation and that of our parents.

His concern trolling over HRT and puberty blockers is so disingenuous. Almost every trans person knew they were trans from a young and those who didn't have puberty blockers wished that they had. a small percentage of trans people want to reverse it and if that's the case they can reverse it. Not only that, if a drug causes ED or affects mood, then most prescription drugs should be banned or "talked about" as Maher would euphemistically call it.

It really seems like an iron law that gen X and younger boomer white, male comedians, inevitable become full on reactionaries. It's sad to see.

Even when I was libertarian/conservative, I never liked cops and saw them as, at best, a necessary evil to uphold property rights.

I remember it was 2012 and I was watching a panel discussion on a morning show on MSNBC. The topic was Trayvon Martin and one of the panelists said that many white people, who are not police offers, believe that they have the right police all black people.

It really made an impact on me and was something that really changed my perspective on society and how prevalent white supremacy really was. I’m someone whose demographics means that I get minimal harassment from police officers. And even just being pulled over when I was younger despite not doing anything illegal, just being pulled over for being a teenager who had the audacity to lawfully drive a vehicle, caused me to dislike police. After hearing that panelist say that black people get that type of harassment at any age, from white civilians, with a much higher likelihood of violence being the outcome, caused me to feel solidarity with BIPOC that I never had felt before.

Eventually, I came to realize that libertarianism and conservatism and their emphasis on property rights and laissez-faire economics are incompatible with racial equality and anti authoritarianism. To have an economic system, where so few own so much, requires an authoritarian police state and it requires racial hierarchy as a means to prevent the working class from uniting.

One such public and psychological wage, for whites, is the informal right of white people to borrow the state’s monopoly on violence and wield it privately against non whites. Any political and economic system that replicates racist cops out of the civilian population, has got to go.

Back
Top Bottom