***Official Political Discussion Thread***

These rail workers just need to go on an unauthorized strike. It’s disgusting how they are being treated by everyone and you got the government patting themselves on the back by avoiding a strike and them gaining nothing. If their job is so important one dumb *** from west va shouldn’t have the say in if they get paid sick days.

Walk off the job, that’s how you bargain.

People would turn on them but I bet that strike wouldn’t last more than 12 hours.

People also know how bad the railroad is, no one new is coming to that trash job until some changes happen so this is just going to get worse and worse.

People would turn on them but I bet that strike wouldn’t last more than 12 hours.

People also know how bad the railroad is, no one new is coming to that trash job until some changes happen so this is just going to get worse and worse.
If the rail owners thought that at most it would be a 12-hour strike, they would sit back and laugh

To inflict real pain on them to force their hand to get sick days, the rail workers would have to force pain on millions of other Americans who have nothing to do with this dispute

That is after the deal was rejected by a slim margin

So we are talking about people being willing to strike for the long haul

There is no worker solidarity, it’s been turned into anti inflation as we see with the rail road and their neutered union that can have the government sign their contracts.

People just want cheap stuff and strikes are ugly and inconvenient. It’s easier just to say “meh we tried” or whatever and move on and point out all the cons of a strike.

There’s no winning either way here, personally I’d just quit and move on if I was a railroad employee.

What happened to worker solidarity in this country? :smh:

the Second World War had mfs searching through their attics for spare metal to throw at Hitler and boiling teabags twice...driving less because tanks needed fuel more, counting out cheese slices, canceling entire pro sports seasons.

that's the level of effort, sacrifice, and solidarity it takes to win a war.

most people don't even see we're in one.

edit: this is also a climate change post.

What happened to worker solidarity in this country? :smh:
If the railroads shut down, it is estimated over 500k jobs not in the rail industry will be in danger of being cut as a result

It would spike inflation a ton, and make a lot of water systems unable to run.

I wish there was more solidarity in America. But if you lose your job, your grocery bill goes insane, and you can't drink the water out our tap, during the holidays, I understand if that is a cost too high for some folk. Especially with the news telling you every day it is an illegal strike

I really think people underestimate how big a rail strike would be. If it went on too long, the military would have to start airlifting supplies to places

That is why I said they should be nationalized

We already knew how this was going to pan out regardless. The railroads have NO reason to come to bargain in good faith. What’s the worst that happens? The government signs their contract to prevent a strike regardless.

They’ll bargain once their workforce is all gone regardless of the contract.

I get how big a rail strike would be that’s why I’m betting it wouldn’t last long.

Like I said though, the rail companies have no reason to bargain because the anti strike clause vs the threat of a strike IMO at least.

How would the process go to nationalize them?

I get how big a rail strike would be that’s why I’m betting it wouldn’t last long.

Like I said though, the rail companies have no reason to bargain because the anti strike clause vs the threat of a strike IMO at least.

How would the process go to nationalize them?
I believe Congress has to approve it

Either directly (taking it by force and compensating shareholders, so shareholders have no choice) or a plan that allows the Treasury to buy a controlling stake (where shareholders willing to sell to them)

From my understanding, the President can't unilaterally do it because of a Supreme Court case during WW2

Could be all wrong on this, haven't researched this. Going off of stuff I have read over the years.

I believe Congress has to approve it

Either directly (taking it by force and compensating shareholders, so shareholders have no choice) or a plan that allows the Treasury to buy a controlling stake (where shareholders willing to sell to them)

From my understanding, the President can't unilaterally do it because of a Supreme Court case during WW2

Could be all wrong on this, haven't researched this. Going off of stuff I have read over the years.

They’d probably have to flex and walk off the job for that to happen or else it will just keep going in it’s current state I bet.

Idk I just got my first government job. It’s sick man. it’s weird being treated that well at work I’m not used to it and almost creeps me out.

I’d want to be nationalized for sure if i was a rail worker.

the Second World War had mfs searching through their attics for spare metal to throw at Hitler and boiling teabags twice...driving less because tanks needed fuel more, counting out cheese slices, canceling entire pro sports seasons.

that's the level of effort, sacrifice, and solidarity it takes to win a war.

most people don't even see we're in one.

edit: this is also a climate change post.
to be fair, you're supposed to re-steep tea. and everybody should be driving less, not just to save gas but for the million other societal and health benefits.

but hell will freeze over before I ever ration my cheese. I would've lost WW2 if that's what it came down to.

Back
Top Bottom