***Official Political Discussion Thread***

Let's be real.. impeachment won't happen however the Democrats could have least voted by party line on that and show some competent leadership and unity. That whole midnight grandstanding before the 'shutdown' was for what exactly? Only one day US Govt offices were closed? Really? That's it? Were the Democrats truly afraid that they were going to be get an ear full from their constituents because the IRS is closed and tax filing season starts on Jan 29? :lol:
I'm pretty sure the ones that didn't vote for impeachment were in swing districts and didn't want to be hit by the "that guy wants to eliminate Trump" hit ads by challengers. Would it matter if they showed "unity" if it just brings out more Repubs trying to jack their seats?

And how long did you want the government to be shutdown? Forever? Like I said, GOP and Trump aren't going to agree with Democrats over DACA. Chuck took the CHIP agreement for now until the next budget showdown. What would have been the best solution then?

As much as I would like more concessions being made, it would be unrealistic to hope that the majority party wields a lot of their power to the minority party, especially with a majority party that holds no regards to the rules.

Id rather stay home than support a weak spineless party because they’re the lesser of two evils. This type of thinking is the reason we have a trash two part system. I’ll be ok. I got 6 months worth of money saved up.
But staying home is not going to change anything though. The binary system is not going away without a constitutional convention. It certainly is not going to happen while the Citizens United ruling is still in effect and mass amounts of donor money flows through the entire political system.

You also just said the democrats are the lesser of two evils, so how does not voting benefit you? You say you wouldn't be an apologist for weak dems but you would be an apologist for the GOP too.
There's only one party that goes to great lengths to prevent or discourage people from voting. Voter suppression often targets a specific group of people, namely people of color and specifically African-Americans. Such as the North Carolina voter ID law which had parts of it struck down by the courts because it "targeted African-Americans with almost surgical precision". The state had gathered data on African-American voting patterns prior to passing said voter ID bill. A NC republican strategist/consultant stated on the record to Vox that of course the law targeted black people, but that it wasn't racist because they just happen to vote democratic in very high percentages and that's why they were targeted.

There is also gerrymandering. The GOP does well in state legislatures and governor races, so they have gotten to draw more districts. They're not the only ones gerrymandering of course but it primarily benefits them. What it essentially means in a short summary is that drawing the districts a certain way can result in one party getting more votes than the other but gaining significantly less seats. This makes voting even more important for those who are against the GOP as they have a statistical advantage due to the amount of gerrymandered districts in their favor.

Here's a recent example. Pennsylvania's Supreme Court rejected the state's congressional district map due to illegal partisan gerrymandering in the GOP's favor.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...-republicans-congressional-maps-supreme-court

Midterm elections are very important as congress gets to decide what kind of legislation makes it to the president's desk in the first place. It shouldn't be understated.
As well as all the committees, congressional investigations, ...
The GOP controls all branches of government so there's only so much you can expect from a party with a minority in every branch in this hyperpartisan era. On one hand you want the democrats to have more of a spine but on the other hand you don't want to put them in power to have any significant influence.

Last edited:
Let's be real.. impeachment won't happen however the Democrats could have least voted by party line on that and show some competent leadership and unity. That whole midnight grandstanding before the 'shutdown' was for what exactly? Only one day US Govt offices were closed? Really? That's it? Were the Democrats truly afraid that they were going to be get an ear full from their constituents because the IRS is closed and tax filing season starts on Jan 29? :lol:
Do you even realize the GOP didn't have enough of their own Senators to keep the government open if they used the nuclear option.

And the way they convinced some of them to vote for the temporary funding bill be promising a DACA vote. Exactly what the Dems we're demanding.

I swear some of you dudes criticism of the Dems range from the petty to the imaginary.

And as a general comment.

It is shameful and stupid how underfunded the IRS is. The department needs a major budget increase and tens of thousands more workers.

I thought Mexico was paying for the wall.

So when Trump signs a bill with funding for the wall, that means he flip flopped on Mexico playing for it.

Right?

Indirectly. You have already seen the tariffs that Trump imposed today that would affect China to make trade more "fair." There is a huge trade deficit with Mexico. Something similar to reduce it with Mexico will have Mexico paying for it indirectly. Doesn't really seem that complicated.

Lol all that raising tarrifs will do is drive up the price of foreign goods which will get passed on to the American consumer not Mexico. So yea the taxpayers here will be footing the bill for Trump's racist monument.

Lol all that raising tarrifs will do is drive up the price of foreign goods which will get passed on to the American consumer not Mexico. So yea the taxpayers here will be footing the bill for Trump's racist monument.

I guess we will see. It could also convince companies to move to America and create jobs. It could provide incentive for American-made products...etc. This decision came after a trade case from USA solar manufacturers that stated that inexpensive Chinese products were hurting their business.

I guess we will see. It could also convince companies to move to America and create jobs. It could provide incentive for American-made products...etc. This decision came after a trade case from USA solar manufacturers that stated that inexpensive Chinese products were hurting their business.
"I guess we will see" is always your cop out when you're wrong and have nothing to back up what you're saying.

I guess we will see. It could also convince companies to move to America and create jobs. It could provide incentive for American made products...etc. This decision came after a trade case from USA solar manufacturers that stated that inexpensive Chinese products were hurting their business.

Lol.

A novice in economics and history could see what higher tarrifs mean ,but I forgot who was making the statement. Same guy who thinks tax cuts for the rich and corporations are going to trickle down and magically create a boom of new jobs.

Indirectly. You have already seen the tariffs that Trump imposed today that would affect China to make trade more "fair." There is a huge trade deficit with Mexico. Something similar to reduce it with Mexico will have Mexico paying for it indirectly. Doesn't really seem that complicated.
You don't understand economics enough to realize what you are saying right now is nonsense.

Yikes

I thought Mexico was paying for the wall.
9EF89346-155D-4060-A0F5-1C06F400AEA5.jpeg

"I guess we will see" is always your cop out when you're wrong and have nothing to back up what you're saying.

"We will see" is my response when I don't know and can't predict the future. Let me guess, you already know what's going to happen? Enlighten us.

You don't understand economics enough to realize what you are saying right now is nonsense.

Yikes

So then I'll be wrong. I've been wrong before. As always, you are a most learned economist. Whatever you say will happen, undoubtedly, will transpire. Of that I have no doubt.

This isnt anything new. I worked in retail banking 10 years ago while finishing up college and every day i saw them nickle and diming the poorest customers. Overdraft fees and minimum balance (monthly service) fees were big money makers and part of our branch metrics, and obviously the people paying those fees are not the ones who can afford it. It disgusted me then and it still disgusts me, one of the main reasons i only lasted about 6 months at that job. **** banks.

This isnt anything new. I worked in retail banking 10 years ago while finishing up college and every day i saw them nickle and diming the poorest customers. Overdraft fees and minimum balance (monthly service) fees were big money makers and part of our branch metrics, and obviously the people paying those fees are not the ones who can afford it. It disgusted me then and it still disgusts me, one of the main reasons i only lasted about 6 months at that job. **** banks.

No this IS new. It is all because of Trump and his terrible tax plan. THAT is what caused this.

- Rusty, prolly

Back
Top Bottom