***Official Political Discussion Thread***

As mentioned when the news of the report being submitted broke, I have maintained the possibility of Trump not being in any significant legal jeopardy from the underlying conduct of the Russia investigation but still being the kind of guy dumb enough to incriminate himself and try to obstruct that investigation regardless.
I also said that if anything, that still makes his behavior and actions deeply disturbing. In that case, Trump would have put himself in a compromising position for...what?

Let alone the mess his associates got themselves into. They lied to the FBI about contacts with Russia, lied to Congress about contacts with Russia, obstructed a congressional investigation into those Russian contacts, ...

Not once did any of these people come clean and just admit that there was a meeting, or admit right away what the purpose of that meeting was.
When news of the Trump Tower meeting broke, Trump dictated a deeply misleading statement aboard Air-Force 1 that claimed the meeting was just about "adoptions."
Trump later said in a NYT interview that he discussed "adoptions" (Magnitsky sanctions) with Putin the day before the NYT report broke.

Of course Trump's dictated statement turned out to be at best deeply misleading. They later went on to admit that the meeting was advertised to Trump Jr as an offer of dirt on Hillary by the "Crown prosecutor of Russia" and "as part of Russia and its government's support for Mr. Trump."

That's just one example of Trump & co immediately coming up with a false cover story rather than even considering not lying.

Even long before he even became a subject in the Russia investigation (not long after Comey firing), Trump had already spent months repeatedly lying about the contacts and business dealings between him and his associates and Russia.
Everyone else went along, time and again. From no contacts with Russia by anyone, all the way to at least 100 contacts with 16 Trump associates including Trump himself.

In most of these instances of lying, whether to the public or to the FBI and Congress, the Russians would have been well aware of those lies.

Last edited:
There's really no ambiguity or uncertainty about the following:

1) Russia committed crimes to help Trump get elected.

2) Trump knew about these crimes and called publicly for them to be committed.

3) Many in Trump's circle have been found to be corrupt and in communication with Russia.

4) Trump publicly admitted he committed actions to stop the Russia probe.

Whether the legal standards are met to prosecute a sitting president for #2 or #4, I don't know. Mueller either feels that it doesn't, or he passed it off to other investigative bodies, or he did include it in his report but didn't indict for other reasons.

Now, if we believe the GOP/Trump talking points, Mueller just was like, "meh, I don't feel like that's a big deal," and that seems like bull****. The only reason I could see Mueller not following through (assuming he did not, which we don't know) is he felt that within his legal powers he couldn't effectively go after #2 and #4. Again, I don't know.
Idiots won’t get any of this though

Back in the day, I accepted the bipartisan respect of Mueller's pedigree and decided I would respect his conclusions.

While I believe, that Trump is the dumbest, most corrupt, most openly white supremacist and treasonous SOB in recorded history, I also understand, that my fairly strong opinions are not legally persuasive in themselves. And therefor I had to accept, that Mueller and his merry men, where my best bet. I think, Trump already has forfeited his own legitimacy by his words, actions and inaction, but I also accept, that the GOP, that shields him, is completely beholden to the corruption and stupidity, that got him elected in the first place.

I'm looking forward to Mueller's conclusion.

What do you call it when white nationalist mass murderers are directly citing Trump proponents and their shared ideology as a source of inspiration?

I agree they should do better with their ideologies.

Capitol Hill has been alerted that Barr’s principal conclusions coming in the next 30-45 minutes according to WaPo.

Capitol Hill has been alerted that Barr’s principal conclusions coming in the next 30-45 minutes according to WaPo.

There are theories floating around that if this report is really that damaging, Barr is trying to release the information in a way that doesn't cause Trump to start WW3. I'm so mentally exhausted.

Wow, a very brief letter. Not good enough. You will come clean with the entire report and underlying evidence and communications or there will be massive civil unrest.

Wow, a very brief letter. Not good enough. You will come clean with the entire report and underlying evidence and communications or there will be massive civil unrest.

No there won't, you forgot what country we live in. Ppl will protest on a few convenient weekends and then we'll move on.

Is mueller not allowed to speak? Can he hold a press conference to talk about what he’s found himself? This WH holds stupid press conferences/photo ops/Oval office PR ops all the time.

What does this even mean?

But It does not exonerate him?
dwill.png

No point in calling Mueller to speak before congress. He's not throwing his boy Barr under his bus.
francis.png

Back
Top Bottom