***Official Political Discussion Thread***

This is white supremacy closing its ranks. Bill Maher said this last night... Yet the article does not discuss what millennial's are not doing the nasty.
https://www.latimes.com/opinion/opinion-la/la-ol-millennials-less-sex-20160802-snap-story.html
Millennials are having less sex than any generation in 60 years. Here’s why it matters.

I will always say that if you study the lost decade of Japan and how it affects the people just entering the job market at the time (Millenials) you would see what would happen to Americans. We're not unique on a sociological level we just are so myopic in our beliefs we think we are

https://paa2012.princeton.edu/papers/121688

In a nutshell, those lost decades of employment lead to people not having security to hook up in their 20's and start families and in the case of some they do find a mate after they become financially stable in their 30's or they end up falling into libertarian ideas as a way to find meaning in (or escape) their loneliness. Add to that a culture full of distractions and popular culture and I am calling the rise of NEETS as an accepted American term in 5 years.

Science is "a Democrat thing": Mantra of the Trump administration revealed
Lobbyist turned Trump appointee reportedly defended canceling coal study by saying science was for Democrats
Coal cures cancer along with other diseases like tolerance, higher education, liberalism, and addiction to fair-trade coffee.

This is something that science can't prove. It's like why I like my Apple Jacks. I JUST DO.

Coal cures cancer along with other diseases like tolerance, higher education, liberalism, and addiction to fair-trade coffee.

This is something that science can't prove. It's like why I like my Apple Jacks. I JUST DO.

Imma be NT's the poor man's Chris Hayes, the struggle Chris Hayes, if you will, and muse a bit on the subject of science and expertise in our politics.

Liberals need to be very careful how they talk about their relationship with science. For the last 40 years or more, the Democratic Party has become the party of the professional-managerial class and they have elevated credentials and expertise and the consensus of experts above all else. The experts have screwed over and over and they pay no professional price for it. NAFTA, bank deregulation, the war in Iraq, mortgage backed securities and Hillary Clinton's silicon valley style campaign were all sold as unsinkable. These were sold to us by experts as good for the mass of people and they all failed to achieve their stated goals.

Conservatives have seized on these failures of expertise to cultivate a climate where you're supposed to ignore all experts. Sometimes, experts get it right and their expertise must be heeded. Climate Change being the most prominent example of that. If liberals say that they embrace science, it is easy to conflate that they universally stand by all forms of expertise, including those which have led to one calamity after another. Furthermore, conservatives weaponize that distrust and convince people that they must never listen to scientists or academics and that they should get all their information from either people who happen to be wealthy or demagogues who offer a satisfying narrative about race and gender politics.

Liberals should take a page from the leftist playbook and just say "catastrophic climate change is real" instead of "the science is clear, climate change is real."

Also, it must be noted, that the Democratic Party is not nearly as empirical or fact based as they claim to be. If you were faithful to science, you'd have pushed for a Green New Deal and path to zero emissions in 10 year and you'd have done so in 1992. If you truly believed in expertise, you'd have never repealed Glass-Steagle. If you believed in facts over ideology, the 2009 stimulus would have been five times the size it actually was and there would have not been a whisper about budget cuts any time during the early 2010's. If you deferred to academics in policy making, you'd have never messed around with "tough on crime" vindictive approaches to criminal justice.

The Democratic Party puts donor interests over facts all the time, they just do it in different areas than the GOP and then engage in the smirking, West Wing-Daily Show-Idiocracy, style of "we believe in science" politics to pander to their professional-managerial class base and to mock the GOP's evangelical base.

Back
Top Bottom