***Official Political Discussion Thread***

25939F99-D021-4446-98B3-BFC328ECADAC.jpeg

SDNY charged the bank yesterday I believe, might've been the day before. According to Bloomberg and the NYT, Trump repeatedly pressed Tillerson to get the DOJ to drop an investigation of a key figure involved in the bank scheme, who also happened to be a client of Rudy Giuliani.

Firtash is an upper echelon affiliate of the Russian mob. He claimed that "the real power" behind his gas empire was Semion Mogilevich, one of the leading and most notorious figures of the Russian mafia.
Firtash is represented by attorneys Joe DiGenova and Victoria Toensing, 2 Fox News contributors who are also involved in the Ukraine scandal. Attempting to fight extradition to the US to face bribery charges, Firtash is currently on house arrest in Vienna. That also happened to be the destination Lev Parnas and Igor Fruman were trying to head to when they got arrested. Rudy said he was planned to travel the next day as well but denied that the destination had anything to do with Firtash. Rudy also denied any involvement with the oligarch at all.

It is a very lengthy article but I would recommend reading it. I've included several excerpts below.

43e49ac237724a4ee8dc9a50dadc96de.png

Rudy also claims that he had nothing to do with Firtash, adding that Trump wouldn't even know that person.
aad0af0f484415795fa1a49c3c86d049.png

cfbc1083845c0adf051fae95df6c7ac9.png

c68a1b1591976a8be75dffc7a6e5cdb9.png

8b9aa538bef557ff133f3d85235d1fa7.png

d5ec1b090dc7630afdd86d875b456faf.png

3264b0277f34ed97feb0aefbb71d77e1.png

e79975c3cc8639e354fdd8bc27ff80ca.png

662512947c5075042ae724ece88653b4.png

7d944433f78812ac183e8e776d1898dc.png

"This is the most screwed up decision I have seen since I have been in Congress," Graham told the U.S. Special Representative for Iran, Brian Hook, who testified before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee.

"This is the most screwed up decision I have seen since I have been in Congress," Graham told the U.S. Special Representative for Iran, Brian Hook, who testified before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee.

An estimated 50 nuclear bombs stored at a US airbase in Turkey have become potential bargaining chips in the tense relationship between Washington and Ankara in the wake of the Turkish offensive into Syria.
Although Donald Trump gave a green light to the offensive in a phone call eight days ago with the Turkish president, Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, the US Congress is planning to impose severe sanctions on Turkey. Trump, facing a backlash from his party for acquiescing in the invasion, has backed punitive measures.
On Monday the EU declared an arms embargo on Turkey, and a planned bipartisan bill in Congress would sanction Turkish leaders and cut off US weapons supplies.

The presence of B61 nuclear gravity bombs at İncirlik airbase, which is about 100 miles from the Syrian border and which the US air force shares with its Turkish counterpart, is complicating Washington’s calculations.

In recent days administration officials have been quietly reviewing plans to move the bombs, the New York Times reported on Monday. The report quoted a senior official as saying the bombs had become Erdoğan’s hostages and that flying them out of İncirlik would be the de-facto end of the Turkish-American alliance.

Plans to remove the bombs have frequently been considered but never put into action. Officials are not supposed to discuss the existence of forward-deployed bombs in Turkey and four other Nato member states but they are an open secret. They are a cold war relic with no operational function in a war plan. To deploy them the US would have to fly in planes to carry them. Turkey has no planes certified to carry nuclear weapons.

Discussions within Nato over the past three decades about withdrawing them have foundered on opposition from member states including Turkey, who saw them as valuable symbols of US commitment to their defence through extended deterrent.

A former official said there was considerable discussion in the Obama administration on what to do with the bombs, both because of Barack Obama’s disarmament agenda and particularly over security fears after the 2016 coup attempt in Turkey. The base was used by some of the plotters including a general who at one point sought protection with his US colleagues, which was denied. Erdoğan’s government cut off power to the base before moving in to arrest suspects.

According to one former official, Turkish diplomats responded to suggestions that the bombs might be removed by saying Turkey would develop its own nuclear weapons.

No wonder Erdogan can talk trash.

Back
Top Bottom