***Official Political Discussion Thread***

This is a start

C3F19047-4184-4AD0-8C92-9E2E7FC0D082.png

This is good cuz he likes to piggyback on Biden’s thoughts and just blurts out whatever nonsense he could think of in that moment. When the 2 mins are up, Trump’s going to struggle to formulate a rebuttal :lol:

Watch him COMPLAIN ABOUT the rules and ****
He's going to shout loud enough that Biden's mic will pick up his voice. As aepps20 aepps20 would say, with bass in his voice.

Trump is the epitome of "cant turn a ho into a housewife" and it's hilarious that the conservatives are suddenly like "Trump should've had better demeanor in the debates." You watched this guy make a fool of himself for 4 years and you thought he'd walk up there and be like "4 score and seven years ago?"

Trump is the epitome of "cant turn a ho into a housewife" and it's hilarious that the conservatives are suddenly like "Trump should've had better demeanor in the debates." You watched this guy make a fool of himself for 4 years and you thought he'd walk up there and be like "4 score and seven years ago?"
It's not just that people didn't know he's a brute. It's that they somehow expected him to grow into the office, that somehow giving him all this power would get him to become more decent.

Important article in the Atlantic today that’s almost certain to be buried under last night’s debate coverage, a la Biff Tannen:
To everyone who called NikeTalk “uptight”, a “buzzkill,” or “for babies” because we’ve consistently prohibited racist, misogynist, ableist, homophobic, and transphobic memes on our forums, we accept your apology - but not your new account applications. Enjoy Telegram.

Ethics matter, even - if not especially - in comedy. All the whiny, out of touch, “free speech” curmudgeons like Bill Maher and Jerry Seinfeld who constantly bemoan college audiences and their “political correctness” and all the lazy, unprincipled hacks who leaned on offensive stereotypes for cheap, adolescent shock value, like the creators of Family Guy and South Park, should be forever remembered as the opening acts for Donny and the Proud Boys.

I wish we could give them all the Ray Patterson victory speech, but we have to live here, too.

You don’t think that’s a fair description of the exchange? Like I said I will no longer support him if he was attempting to tell the proud boys to prepare for battle. But based on his past statements, the “sure” and nature of the exchange I think that’s a fair reading.

I don’t think diversity training, specifically, was the issue. But I already said my stance on that. His decision is idiotic. I think you are confusing me with another poster that said removal of those programs is actually a good thing.
The Proud Boys don’t seem to share your sense of confusion.

How many times does this need to happen on camera for you? 5? 10? 20? He was very deliberate about what he said in the moment and now you want to white wash that with some forced statement from his PR people. Incredible.

There was no ambiguity in his statement. He said what he ****ing said. The only ambiguity is how you are choosing to interpret it.

Proud Boys stand by
Diversity training is racist
They are coming for your suburbs
Kung flu
Poll watchers

Like you came out of that debate where he espoused racist **** all night long and this is the hill in which you choose to die on?
You forgot one:

I trust someone got that on tape.

Important article in the Atlantic today that’s almost certain to be buried under last night’s debate coverage, a la Biff Tannen:
To everyone who called NikeTalk “uptight”, a “buzzkill,” or “for babies” because we’ve consistently prohibited racist, misogynist, ableist, homophobic, and transphobic memes on our forums, we accept your apology - but not your new account applications. Enjoy Telegram.

Ethics matter, even - if not especially - in comedy. All the whiny, out of touch, “free speech” curmudgeons like Bill Maher and Jerry Seinfeld who constantly bemoan college audiences and their “political correctness” and all the lazy, unprincipled hacks who leaned on offensive stereotypes for cheap, adolescent shock value, like the creators of Family Guy and South Park, should be forever remembered as the opening acts for Donny and the Proud Boys.

I wish we could give them all the Ray Patterson victory speech, but we have to live here, too.

The Proud Boys don’t seem to share your sense of confusion.

You forgot one:

I trust someone got that on tape.
Yeah but... but... Biden called our president a clown!

The problem isn't Trump. It's that politics is no longer decent. Both sides are to blame!

(is what a fool would say)

edit: Now that I read the article, a more serious take: I guess there's two parts to this. One is to recognize that people excusing this stuff as "it's just a joke" are enabling this problem. Trump did this yesterday when Biden brought up that he encouraged people to inject bleach to cure covid-19. What'd he say? "I was just being sarcastic." Yeah, of course you were, you sack of ****. Because not a single word out of your mouth is worth taking seriously. Your whole existence is a joke with no value.

Two is to take some responsibility, to have some ethics, as you say. I've been guilty of making insensitive jokes, even if the intentions were good, and I should do better.

But I still think South Park does good comedy, although I have become less enthusiastic about them unnecessarily taking things too far.

Last edited:
South Park was good when it was clear that Cartman and the general ridiculousness of the show were being used as a vehicle to make a point at the end of episodes. Even if the point itself wasn't always on point, like the racist flag ep where 2 affluent white guys basically went "It's silly to worry about things like that", the vast majority of episodes weren't like that. But then they did become like that. Suddenly in South Park's eyes caring about anything was silly and Cartman became the butt of less jokes in favor of him making other people the butt of the joke. Unlike Family Guy it's still funny, but it's just not the same anymore. Family Guy just sucks and it has for like a decade now.

But I still think South Park does good comedy, although I have become less enthusiastic about them unnecessarily taking things too far.
South Park was good when it was clear that Cartman and the general ridiculousness of the show were being used as a vehicle to make a point at the end of episodes.
Are we talking about the same show whose White, libertarian writers created a character literally named Token Black and then used him as a mouthpiece to attack the federal hate crime designation, with absolutely no recognition of the context within which it might have been necessary to, say, avoid leaving prosecutorial decisions for lynchings in the hands of "Southern justice"?

This frame really aged well:

And when I say they used the "Token Black" character as a mouthpiece - that applies in the most literal sense.

This is the guy who played the role:
treyparker.jpg

The show didn't "get bad in later seasons." That episode aired twenty years ago.

The script is available online:

Look out for the heterosexist slur they managed to slip in via Pig Latin, casual sexism, and the "White guy gets called racist for a totally innocent statement" trope.
What's the over/under on the percentage of people in that writers' room wearing a backwards baseball hat, cargo shorts, and sandals with socks?

South Park exemplifies punching down while failing up.

Back
Top Bottom