***Official Political Discussion Thread***

I let Rusty and co down. Damn.
B85EC05B-A24B-4009-930A-3829A2C44F58.png
:smh: :smh:

This might sound like an odd question but does anyone know exactly how a US voter ID number is compiled? Is it just an entirely random number?

What’s your biggest fears about Republicans having power for an extended period of time?

My fears are that Republicans will turn the United States into an Banana republic where only rich White men will see the benefits. Where it gets harder and harder for the middle class to progress financially ( more work, less pay) Getting rid of Medicare/ Medicaid and Social Security; having s reactive health care system that only benefits doctors and the insurance companies.

The Conversatives will end affirmative action, ending immigration from countries of color, end the progresspg criminal justice reform and stop the momentum for the legalization of marijuana.

I really feel like these are their implicit goals.

What’s your biggest fears about Republicans having power for an extended period of time?
Further swinging a wreckingball at the US' international relationships on the other side of the ocean and a potential war with Iran at some point. I'm not concerned as long as Mattis is heading the DoD but his relationship with Trump has reportedly soured and Trump has taken jabs at him, calling him a Democrat. There's also few people who are bigger war hawks than John Bolton. He was hired to the NSC despite in 2016 and 2017 advocating for war with Iran and a pre-emptive strike on North Korea.

Refusing to reign in the president's tariff powers after the words "trade wars are good and easy to win" came out of his mouth.
Refusing to work together with US allies in taking on China, instead opting to damage everyone's economy by unilaterally launching a trade war that hurts all involved parties.
Damaging our intelligence sharing ties for the sake of obstructing investigations into president Trump.

Countries like Spain and the Netherlands shared intelligence relating to Russia and all Republicans did was refuse to investigate it, obstruct attempts to do so and slam the special counsel and the FBI for actually doing something. The Netherlands had multiple years of backdoor access to the GRU hacker group Cozy/Fancy Bear's internal network.
Spanish police provided wiretapped conversations between a convicted money launderer Alexander Torshin, who is Butina's alleged handler and the one who met with Trump Jr at the NRA.
A top Spanish organized crime special prosecutor added that the FBI requested the information and that "Don Jr should be worried" in his words. Not a word or a thank you from Republicans.

The idiot in the oval office had to be persuaded by multiple unspecified foreign governments to walk back his move to fully declassify certain parts of Carter Page's FISA warrant. He also disclosed classified Syria combat information at a fundraiser so he could brag about it. The deputy press secretary said he couldn't comment on that disclosure because the matter was still classified.
Highly classified Israeli intelligence was also leaked to none other than the Russian Foreign Minister and ambassador of all people.

Last edited:
i'll most likely do a limited online blackout tomorrow afternoon to avoid any election results. i'll check wednesday morning to see what happens.

Are you unaware of the repeal and replace campaign? Is it your position that the Republican party is not interested in replacing the ACA? Are you unaware of the bipartisan support for protecting coverage for people for pre-existing coverage? Trump literally pledged to do so a few weeks ago.

Now if you just don't believe anything Republicans say, then that is one thing. But to act as if Republicans are running on the idea of ensuring people with pre-existing conditions are left without coverage is simply dishonest.
Are you unaware of why "repeal and replace" failed?

There wasn't a "replace" in the plan. To act as if there was is dishonest. To act as if the cats who are telling people "we will totally not touch your healthcare, trust us" are not lying is dishonest.

Anybody here from MD ?

I need a legit reason not to vote repub for this upcoming election. I generally like the job Hogan has done and Jealous isn’t really impressing me.

I’m kind of new to all this so would voting Repub help Trump anyway on the national level ? That’s the only thing I’m worried about

Anybody here from MD ?

I need a legit reason not to vote repub for this upcoming election. I generally like the job Hogan has done and Jealous isn’t really impressing me.

I’m kind of new to all this so would voting Repub help Trump anyway on the national level ? That’s the only thing I’m worried about
Yes but not as much as a seat in Congress.

Governors are a little more independent (see Kasich, for example) in that they can criticize and oppose their party a but more freely, especially in a state that leans heavily Democrat. They can do a lot to moderate or magnify the actions of the president, by not enforcing things, protecting immigrants, by Medicare expansion, etc. They actually wield a lot of power in that sense. I think they also help determine electoral districts, and they appoint political positions, so they can influence politics along many dimensions.

I'd prefer a Democrat governor, but in the big picture sense a moderate anti-Trump Republican governor is better than nothing.

Anybody here from MD ?

Jealous is pro-cannabis. If you vote against him you’re a weed hater bro.

Perhaps in previous years it wouldn’t matter as much but the deplorables have aligned themselves with the white supremacist/ white nationalist agenda. There is no ****ing way I like vote for any deplorable candidate. I’d rather chop off my right hand. You vote deplorable & you align yourself with outfight racism, the very definition. You vote for everything diametrically opposed to everything this country was founded upon.

Anybody here from MD ?

I live in MD, PG to be exact, I'll give a quick rundown on Hogan.

IMO, Hogan is a lot worse than ppl think he is, he's just been highly shielded by a largely Dem. Maryland senate.

- He vetoed a bill that required employers to provide paid sick days, the senate overruled his veto.
- Vetoed a bill giving 40,000 felons the right to vote, also overruled by senate
- Gutted funding for a public transit line in a low-income (black) section of Baltimore
- Tried to drastically cut school funding even tho a lot of Baltimore and PG schools are in shambles
- Opposes recreational marijuana which could bring signifcant revenue.

He's gotten a pass cuz state senate has kept him in check and he's not a Trump supporter. But in different political times, he wouldn't appear so "moderate".

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/nov/04/disaffected-trump-voters-jobs-midwest-midterms

'He said jobs were coming back': the Trump voters who feel cheated

But so-called “offshoring” of US factories continues. According to a report by Good Jobs Nation, the outsourcing of US jobs by federal contractors rose to the highest annual level on record in Trump’s first year in office: federal contractors sent 10,269 American jobs abroad, almost triple the 3,801 in the last year of the Obama administration.

But in different political times, he wouldn't appear so "moderate".
The new center of American politics in 2018 is being a dog-whistle racist. They don't want to outright shoot you, they just want you to die from too much work, poverty, or loss of job/serious medical condition.

Back
Top Bottom