***Official Political Discussion Thread***

MI.gif

@dwalk31

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opin...idterm-elections-democrats-column/1861601002/

Montel Williams: I voted a straight Democratic ticket because health care is on the line

Your wealth should not decide your health
Almost 20 years ago, I was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis, which has been a painful, chronic condition that I have managed to treat, albeit expensively. One of my daughters is a two-time cancer survivor. While I’m blessed to have the resources to protect myself and my family, most aren’t so fortunate.

Last week, I took part in a rally with the organization Protect Our Care and Florida congressional candidate Mary Barzee Flores at the Borinquen Medical Center to raise awareness about how and who the Affordable Care Act protects. Survivor after survivor at the event shared stories of harrowing illness and how they owe their life to the ACA.

Their stories are by no means unique. Miami has the highest concentration of Obamacare enrollees of anywhere in the nation at more than 360,000 people. And that doesn’t factor in the hundreds of thousands of South Floridians with pre-existing conditions.

Despite these facts, we have Gov. Rick Scott and a Republican-led legislature who've stubbornly refused to lead by expanding Medicaid. The Republican nominee for governor, Ron DeSantis, actually once suggested that folks who can’t afford health care can seek it out “at the emergency room.” And even now, our Attorney General Pam Bondi has joined into a multistate lawsuit to repeal the Affordable Care Act.

While some Republicans like Scott might pretend they’ve always supported protectionsfor pre-existing conditions, actions speak far louder than campaign commercials.

The simple truth is this: My former party’s reckless obsession with gutting the ACA is a clear-and-present danger to as many as 130 million Americans, myself and my daughter included, who live with or have had a serious illness that counts as a pre-existing condition. In this country, and in this state, your wealth should not decide your health.

I live in MD, PG to be exact, I'll give a quick rundown on Hogan.

IMO, Hogan is a lot worse than ppl think he is, he's just been highly shielded by a largely Dem. Maryland senate.

- He vetoed a bill that required employers to provide paid sick days, the senate overruled his veto.
- Vetoed a bill giving 40,000 felons the right to vote, also overruled by senate
- Gutted funding for a public transit line in a low-income (black) section of Baltimore
- Tried to drastically cut school funding even tho a lot of Baltimore and PG schools are in shambles
- Opposes recreational marijuana which could bring signifcant revenue.

He's gotten a pass cuz state senate has kept him in check and he's not a Trump supporter. But in different political times, he wouldn't appear so "moderate".
Good info.

Given that MD is so heavily Democrat, there's really no excuse for them not to have a Democratic governor, especially with the current political climate. Sadly it looks like Hogan is going to win.

Good info.

Given that MD is so heavily Democrat, there's really no excuse for them not to have a Democratic governor, especially with the current political climate. Sadly it looks like Hogan is going to win.

It's really a shame i have to convince black people, in a majority black county, to vote for a black man who LED the NAACP and wants criminal justice reform. Some of us really think because we got a little money we're somehow above the b.s.

I've seen more Jealous signs in white areas of PG than black, it's like opposite day.

It's really a shame i have to convince black people, in a majority black county, to vote for a black man who LED the NAACP and wants criminal justice reform. Some of us really think because we got a little money we're somehow above the b.s.

I've seen more Jealous signs in white areas of PG than black, it's like opposite day.
i got fam from pg that **** on the poor and are pro trump. They even talk about us but because they are posted in a nice house 15 mins outside of DC they think they can pop **** like their **** dont stink. It's ironic they've been catching L's from trump but blame it on the Mexicans

I live in MD, PG to be exact, I'll give a quick rundown on Hogan.

IMO, Hogan is a lot worse than ppl think he is, he's just been highly shielded by a largely Dem. Maryland senate.

- He vetoed a bill that required employers to provide paid sick days, the senate overruled his veto.
- Vetoed a bill giving 40,000 felons the right to vote, also overruled by senate
- Gutted funding for a public transit line in a low-income (black) section of Baltimore
- Tried to drastically cut school funding even tho a lot of Baltimore and PG schools are in shambles
- Opposes recreational marijuana which could bring signifcant revenue.

He's gotten a pass cuz state senate has kept him in check and he's not a Trump supporter. But in different political times, he wouldn't appear so "moderate".

Good info ...stuff like this is wat I’ve been looking for when researching the 2 but haven’t been able to find.

I've seen more Jealous signs in white areas of PG than black; it's like opposite day.
Dog it is sad as **** calling my friends back in MD and so many of them on that "Hogan is doing good, I don't want my taxes to increase" steez. These are the same people that will complain how poor black folk in PG and Baltimore are ignored, yet when it comes time to put their money where their money is they wanna preach patience. Jealous, no matter his shortcomings is committed to economic and civil justice. He is the person black people in MD have been asking for, for so long.

Hogan should have never become Governor. If MD's election were during a presidential year, Hogan would have lost the last time. Dude had no platform other than cutting business taxes and trying to paint a black man as incompetent and unfit to lead. Four years later, and he is still running the same dog whistling playbook the GOP runs all over the nation. Yet he wants me to believe he is better than the other clowns in his party, hell no.

If he had a Republican Statehouse, he would be causing all kinds of damage, yet people give him credit for the work of the Dems and the fact he can read the temperature in the room and has not bought all the way in on Trump.

District of Columbia District of Columbia

Here is a way Hogan can help Trump. The Maryland GOP main goal is to break the gerrymander the Dems have in the state. While I am opposed to gerrymandering, I am fine with MD's because it helps combat the GOP's wide-scale nationwide gerrymandering. If Hogan is in office in 2020, he will push for a more GOP friendly map. That means more Republicans being sent to Congress from MD and more purple districts that the GOP can finesse. Before one of the right-wing trolls clutch their pearls and speak about the ills of gerrymandering. Remember are cool with it when the GOP does it all across the nation.

So a vote for Hogan is the vote to help him get more Republicans to the House that would vote in line with Trump if he gets reelected and will try to block anything a Dem president does.

^Hogan doesn't have a platform, just like Kemp and DeRacist. All they have is fear that some spooky black progressive is gonna raise taxes and run off with the money because their economic plans aren't "responsible".

Same play, just a different formation depending on the makeup of the state.

Yesterday the Georgia Secretary of State Brian Kemp accused the state Democratic party of attempted hacking into Georgia's voter registration system.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...mpeting/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.934428795796
The Secretary of State's office had been alerted about security vulnerabilities in the system but Kemp swiftly responded by denying any vulnerabilities and ordering a hacking probe of Georgia Democrats.
Brian Kemp's campaign spokesman released the following statement:
“In an act of desperation, the Democrats tried to expose vulnerabilities in Georgia’s voter registration system. This was a 4th quarter Hail Mary pass that was intercepted in the end zone. Thanks to the systems and protocols established by Secretary of State Brian Kemp, no personal information was breached. These power-hungry radicals should be held accountable for their criminal behavior.”

Statement from the Secretary of State's office spokesman:
Candice Broce, a spokeswoman for the secretary of state’s office, said in an interview that Democrats were in possession of an email with script attached to it that, if launched, could have been used to extract personal voter registration data.

However the state has since been quietly patching those vulnerabilities that didn't exist according to Kemp.
https://www.propublica.org/article/...atched-security-holes-they-said-did-not-exist
Georgia Officials Quietly Patched Security Holes They Said Didn’t Exist
A ProPublica analysis found that the state was busily fixing problems in its voter registration hours after the office of Secretary of State Brian Kemp, the Republican candidate for governor, had insisted the system was secure.
On Sunday morning, Georgia Secretary of State Brian Kemp unleashed a stunning allegation: State Democrats had committed “possible cyber crimes” after a tipster told party officials he had found gaping security holes in the state’s voter information website. The affair quickly degenerated into volleying charges about whether Democrats had promptly informed officials of the possible security breach.

A representative for Kemp, the state’s Republican candidate for governor, denied vulnerabilities existed in the state’s voter-lookup site and said the problems alleged could not be reproduced. But in the evening hours of Sunday, as the political storm raged, ProPublica found state officials quietly rewriting the website’s computer code.

ProPublica’s review of the state’s voter system followed a detailed recipe created by the tipster, who was described as having IT experience and alerted Democrats to the possible security problems. Using the name of a valid Georgia voter who gave ProPublica permission to access his voter file, reporters attempted to trace the security lapses that were identified.

ProPublica found the website was returning information in such a way that it revealed hidden locations on the file system. Computer security experts had said that revelation could give an intruder access to a range of information, including personal data about other voters and sensitive operating system details.

ProPublica’s attempt to take the next step — to poke around the concealed files and the innards of the operating system — was blocked by software fixes made that evening. According to the tipster’s recipe, it was also possible to view a voter’s driver’s license, partial Social Security number and address.

Kemp is locked in a tight race with Stacey Abrams, a former Democratic leader in the Georgia House. On Monday, his spokesman said the vulnerabilities raised could not be replicated. “There was nothing to substantiate” the claims, said Kemp spokeswoman Candice Broce.

ProPublica’s test on Sunday found traces of the same vulnerabilities the tipster described in his digital recipe. Details of the alleged vulnerabilities were provided to ProPublica by the website WhoWhatWhy.org, which first reported on the security issues this weekend.

Broce said the ability to see where files were stored was “common” across many websites, and she said it was not an inherent vulnerability. She did not deny that the website’s code was rewritten and would not say whether changes were made as a result of the possible security holes. Broce clarified Monday she was instead referring to a webpage’s source code.

“We make changes to our website all the time,” Broce said. “We always move our My Voter Page to a static page before Election Day to manage volume and capacity. It is standard practice.” By Monday afternoon, the page did not appear to be static in the way Broce described, and she did not respond to a request to provide evidence of the change.

Joseph Lorenzo Hall, the chief technologist at the Center for Democracy and Technology in Washington, D.C., disputed that visibility into file storage was common. “It’s definitely not best practice,” he said. He said it appeared the state had made the change in response to being notified of the problem and could see no reason why officials would otherwise make such a change ahead of Election Day.

Security experts frown on making such seemingly ad hoc changes close to major events, such as an election, because they can create unforeseen problems when made so quickly.

Georgia’s secretary of state was first alerted of a potential vulnerability Saturday afternoon. At the time, Washington attorney David Cross — who is representing plaintiffs in a lawsuit against Georgia over its paperless voting machines — alerted the office’s outside counsel that a man named Richard Wright contacted him Friday afternoon and claimed “any and all” information about registered voters could be pulled from the site with just a few keystrokes.

The state’s Democratic Party, for its part, denied running the code and said a party volunteer named Rachel Small merely forwarded Wright’s tip — containing an explainer and recipe that could reproduce the problem — to her boss, who forwarded it to cybersecurity experts. Those experts told the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, the FBI and Georgia officials by mid-Saturday, documents and interviews show.

The state did not know that Small had received her information from Wright — and assumed Small had written the code herself — until ProPublica told them of the connection on Sunday evening. Still, Broce said the investigation into the state Democratic Party was justified.

“You don’t have to actually have someone who is successful in running up against your system,” they don’t have to find a vulnerability for it to be potentially criminal or even try and execute it, Broce said. “All you need, to open an investigation, is information suggesting plans and an attempt to put together some kind of program or utilize specialize tools to find a vulnerability. We did have evidence,” she said, referring to the email forwarded by Small.

Kemp has previously faced election-related security problems, including a case in 2015 when his office mistakenly distributed files with 6 million voters’ private information.

Democratic Party of Georgia spokesperson Seth Bringman said that the party found out about Kemp’s investigation of the purported hack from news reports. He noted that no one from the secretary of state’s office has called to ask about Small. The party, Bringman said, has also not been contacted by the FBI or DHS. Bringman called Kemp’s public statements that Democrats were under investigation “unethical, irresponsible and disqualifying.”

Kemp’s campaign showed no signs of relenting Monday. “In an act of desperation, the Democrats tried to expose vulnerabilities in Georgia’s voter registration system,” spokesman Ryan Mahoney said in a statement. “This was a 4th-quarter, Hail Mary pass that was intercepted in the end zone. Thanks to the systems and protocols established by Secretary of State Brian Kemp, no personal information was breached.”

“These power-hungry radicals should be held accountable for their criminal behavior,” he said.

On the eve of the most important election since 2016, I want to remind everyone to vote tomorrow, Tuesday, November 6.

Go vote. If you are going to vote for the wrong side (for indecency, for vulgarity, for a step backward) -- you know what? I still support your right to vote.

But I hope you do the right thing and give Trump 4 more years! VROOM VROOOOOMMMMM!!!! Coal Gang REPRESENT!

MediumAcceptableGazelle-size_restricted.gif

But seriously: please vote, and I hope you choose to vote Democrat. Not because I think the party is great or because I am a bleeding heart liberal, but because we have a choice between two parties and only one of them is moving in the proper direction.

A lot is on the line. A lot. On many levels, for many people, both for the immediate future and the distant future. Sure, not all the issues may matter to you, but I promise that you or someone you love will be negatively affected and potentially devastated by at least one of them if Trump is able to continue unchecked. This may have already happened in the past 2 years.

This isn't just about health care, or the economy, or corruption and collusion, or immigration and minorities, or police brutality, or gun violence, or human decency, or the environment, or truth and honesty and integrity, or freedom, or trade wars, or global stability, or women's rights...

It's about all of it.

If you sat out 2016, you were an idiot, but I understand. If you sit out 2018, you may as well be wearing a MAGA hat.

But real talk, Dem voters gotta come through for me tomorrow. I need to be at the Thanksgiving Dinner talking all kinds of **** to aepps20 aepps20 when the political talk pops off.

Be case scenario imma be in my bag, spitting so much real, that Aunt Pattie's new white boyfriend Garrett gonna have to calm me down, on some....
giphy.gif

Last edited:
i see this damn hugin ad running in nyc
fool tries to be slick by saying i’m an independent, yea independent republican

4jQ1M_d.jpg

Back
Top Bottom