***Official Political Discussion Thread***

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
gladbron.png

Booker

Inflation is not the main issue, hell it is not even a major issue. Remember he wants to attach a VAT to it, whcih will drive down demand,

it is the fact he peddles it as an all in one alternative to a the welfare state, wage growth policy, and income inequality. He is full of economic ****.

Again, not sure if serious. Do I think it's a silver bullet? No. But I do think UBI would be the biggest game-changer for low-income communities and for people of color. The VAT tax would impact 1) B2B transactions which account for over 95% of all transactions and 2) high-income individuals who have large amounts of disposable income. It would also help people of color by shifting millions of dollars into Black and Brown neighborhoods to re-invest in themselves - that means buying property, starting businesses, and having the financial mobility to purchase property.

I've studied economics and have spent a lot of time debating the merits and consequences of UBI, happy to discuss offline if you are interested in learning more.

Tulsi brought up Trey **********ing Gowdy as her friend and it's not a surprising answer at all.
That should let you know as much as you need to know about Tulsi Gabbard.
Bet she thought that would play better than name dropping dictators. Congratulations Tulsi, you played yourself.

Again, not sure if serious. Do I think it's a silver bullet? No. But I do think UBI would be the biggest game-changer for low-income communities and for people of color. The VAT tax would impact 1) B2B transactions which account for over 95% of all transactions and 2) high-income individuals who have large amounts of disposable income. It would also help people of color by shifting millions of dollars into Black and Brown neighborhoods to re-invest in themselves - that means buying property, starting businesses, and having the financial mobility to purchase property.

I've studied economics and have spent a lot of time debating the merits and consequences of UBI, happy to discuss offline if you are interested in learning more.

I generally support income subsidies of all kinds, I am in favor of UBI. I am saying Yang and his supporters are overselling the the policy. Especially if he is gonna use it to replace the current welfare state. $1000 a month is not gonna mean **** if you lose your other benefits, and other systemic failings continue to extract large sums from poor, especially poor minorities' budget, and keep their wages down.

If Yang was pitching more systemic changes to the macroeconomic and the socioeconomic forces that hold people down along with the UBI, then I would have less of a problem. But he peddles it like a panacea that I know it is not.

Economic subsidies have support all over the political spectrum. Yang talk about UBI like a libertarian, not a social democrat. And that is a major problem.

BTW I have a Bachelors, Masters, in the field of Economics. I work as a professional economist, and I have taught Intro classes at the HS and college level. I think I have the training to understand the issue. So thanks for the offer, but I'm good. I have researched the issue as well

Last edited:
The major issue I have with these "make friends with people you disagree with" answers is that the mainly focus of being friendly with people in power that oppress others.

This is such a conservative frame to have on the issue.

Like where is the friendliness and kindness for the powerless and desperate. As much as it annoys me, I much rather Dems say people have to understand the scarcity mindset poor white people have that lead them to believe so much nonsense, as opposed to talking about how nice you are to the person that peddles said nonsense.

Last edited:
I have a Bachelors, Masters, and finishing up a second specialized Graduate Certificate in the field of Economics. I work as a professional economist, and I have taught Intro classes at the HS and college level. So thanks for the offer, but I'm good. I have researched the Issues as well

I generally support income subsidies of all kinds, I am in favor of UBI. I am saying Yang and his supporters are overselling the the policy. Especially if he is gonna use it to replace the current welfare state. $1000 a month is not gonna mean **** if you lose your other benefits, and other systemic failings continue to extract large sums from poor, especially poor minorities' budget, and keep their wages down.

If Yang was pitching more systemic changes to the macroeconomic and the socioeconomic forces that hold people down along with the UBI, then I would have less of a problem. But he peddles it like a panacea that I know it is not.

Economic subsidies have support all over the political spectrum. Yang talk about UBI like a libertarian, not a social democrat. And that is a major problem.

My response wasn't to be flippant but because I honestly did not know if you were being serious. This forum has morphed into something where it's hard to tell between trolling or seriousness. I have a similar background and have discussed UBI in-depth with others, happy to have a friendly conversation about it.

To be fair about Yang he has very little awareness with mainstream America, he peddles the "$1000 for everyone" card because he needs eyeballs on his campaign. Do I think it's getting old? Yes, I agree with you. I've listened to him on a number of podcasts and he goes far deeper into the systemic changes. I hope that when the field narrows that he will have more time to speak about that.

The major issue I have with these "make friends with people you disagree with" answers is that the mainly focus of being friendly with people in power that oppress others.

This is such a conservative frame to have on the issue.

Like where is the friendliness and kindness for the powerless and desperation. As much as it annoys me, I much rather Dems say people have to understand the scarcity mindset poor white people have that lead them to believe so much nonsense, as opposed to talking about how nice you are to the person that peddles said nonsense.
would love for one of the candidates to have said this

nawghtyhare nawghtyhare

Stupid as hell, you already know a vegan has to let everyone know though.

Who was that one dude who just dodged the whole question. “Yeah I got a friend in SC we agree on clean water. F trump go to my websit.” :lol:

Back
Top Bottom