***Official Political Discussion Thread***

Republicans are so brazen about risking people's lives because they assume the worst hit areas will remain urban areas.

If this virus starts raging in rural America, it is gonna be even worse. The healthcare infrastructure is nowhere near what it is in large cities.

People are gonna choke to death in theirs homes, in the dark.

Last edited:
Republicans are so brazen about risking people's lives best they assume the worst hurt areas will remain urban areas.

If this virus starts raging in rural America, it is gonna be even worse. The healthcare infrastructure is nowhere near what it is in large cities.

It’s even worse in the sticks. You can be 500 miles from a hospital in the sticks out west.

Newly released Fox poll says 75% of registered voters are in favor of a national stay-in-place order for everyone except non-essential workers. 17% oppose, 8% don’t know.
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/fox-news-poll-march-21-24-2020
Interviews were conducted March 21-24, 2020 among a random national sample of 1,011 registered voters (RV). Landline (248) and cellphone (763) telephone numbers were randomly selected for inclusion in the survey using a probability proportionate to size method, which means phone numbers for each state are proportional to the number of voters in each state. Results based on the full sample have a margin of sampling error of ± 3 percentage points. The Fox News Poll is conducted under the joint direction of Beacon Research (D) (formerly known as Anderson Robbins Research) and Shaw & Company Research (R). Fieldwork conducted by Braun Research, Inc. of Princeton, NJ. Fox News Polls before 2011 were conducted by Opinion Dynamics Corporation.

It is evident that many of the posts in here are coming from a place of privilege. It is easy to preach social distancing and staying at home when you don't have to leave the house to stay afloat. Hopefully your dad can rely on you during this difficult time. I hope he remains well. Everyone is not as blessed.
You were trying to make a cute comment to make yourself look morally superior, but the reality is that everyone else here supported a presidential candidate that would have taken this pandemic seriously, they support listening to medical experts to ensure minimum number of lives lost, and they are in favor of financial support from the government for those out of work.

I think the sad part is that you presented this false dichotomy to make it appear as if you're supporting the moral option. I think you only care about presenting Trump's option as reasonable.

U.S. government has 1.5 million expired N95 masks sitting in an Indiana warehouse

Republicans are so brazen about risking people's lives because they assume the worst hit areas will remain urban areas.

As far as pandemics go, rural America has the worst of all worlds.

As has been mentioned already, there’s hollowed out healthcare infrastructure. Rural Americans live further from a hospital today than they did 50 years ago.

On the other side of the equation, there are still lots of good roads and highways. Sure the funding for infrastructure is not what it used to be but most people in rural America still live near a road where you can drive 60 mph or more with no stops or few stops.

Along those roads are gas stations which are also small super markets and are community gathering places, they are a significant employer and they have people from out of town stopping their around the clock. Basically perfect nodes for infection to spread.

Sure, there will be some survivalists or others who have sought out a home miles from any paved road let alone a freeway. However, most rural people live near freeways because farms are basically factories without roofs and it’s no economical to have your factory far from lines of communication and transportation.

Rural America will get hit hard soon enough and while the infection rate for the population may be lower than in cities, the mortality rate will surely be higher.

And for everyone saying we should open things back up to save the economy -- here are two options:

option 1: shut down for two months now, limit losses to ~250k cases and ~$5k deaths.

option 2: keep trying to keep things open, get up to 100 million cases and 5 million deaths, kill the economy not for 2 months but for years.

The choice is clear.

You never give up on the economy. Option 2 or bust! #MAGA
Do you think Stephen Miller is finally gonna oppose Trump? Option 2 is going to mess up his anti immigration plans.

I would not disregard the reality. And understand that it is a delicate balance of interests. Trump doesn't open or close businesses. Essential workers are already working despite these stay-at-home orders.

People in here reduce it to statements like "die workin at a grocery store to own the libs."

Or some other manner of utter nonsense for likes.

The reality is that people are working. With the constant threat of the virus. And many are willing to take that risk because of the financial burden that is being placed on their families. These aren't simple questions with simple solutions. But simply disregarding one reality is nonsense.

It is evident that many of the posts in here are coming from a place of privilege. It is easy to preach social distancing and staying at home when you don't have to leave the house to stay afloat. Hopefully your dad can rely on you during this difficult time. I hope he remains well. Everyone is not as blessed.

meh my girl works for the city of Atlanta as a front line employee at the airport saving lives as a paramedic. She scared they don’t test fire fighters and paramedics

Why cause if one gets the virus they shut down the fire house and less paramedic firefighters.

they have to take temps when they shift starts and people already know a temp check is not the best way to check for the virus.

she knows the local government it’s screwing he’s she has no privilege to say anything even though she has rank. And has more than enough money to stay home, but the nature of her job says no you cant

she doesn’t want to go to work. We have a baby and small child. I have the Lux of working from home.

we both have health ins and can afford worst case to get sick.

I know people personally scared to work and don’t want to. Why cause most people who can’t afford to stay home also can’t afford to get sick.

the lies that people wanna get back to work is always spoken by people of PRIVILEGE. How about they get some average min wage employees at that press conference and let them tell us.

how about a poll of Employees and ask hey are they willing to go to work during this time for money

Or

HOW ABOUT LIKE EVERY OTHER MAJOR COUNTRIES. STOP ASKING US TO DIE AND JUST SUPPORT US FOR A COUPLE OF MONTHS.

this argument is dumb. the government can freeze mortgages and rent write some checks and when it’s over we go back.

instead we having debates on Boeing getting a butt load of money for basically say we to poor to stay open we need free money not a loan a grant. Also F the airlines too I used to be a engineering at one and they stay being greedy and treating their employees like ish.

TLDR of my rant.

cause it really pisses me off when they say people wanna go out and get sick.

ONLY PEOPLE OF PRIVILEGE ARE TELLING US THAT WE WANNA GO OUT AND GET BACK TO WORK.

ONLY PEOPLE OF PRIVILEGE ARE SAYING HEY LET SOME PEOPLE DIE.

ONLY PEOPLE OF PRIVILEGE ARE SAYING OH THOSE 1200 CHECKS AND UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFITS ARE TO HIGH RIGHT NOW.

ONLY PEOPLE OF PRIVILEGE ARE CRYING TO SAVE WALL STREET AND NOT THE PEOPLE.

THATS “ PRIVILEGE” MISS ME WITH THAT OLE PRIVILEGE TALK.

the CEO’s managers and such are at home right now. Telling people he die for the hive

Back
Top Bottom