***Official Political Discussion Thread***

I was not pushing for a GOP-controlled Senate.

I changed my stance on something being better than nothing after hearing from @cosmiccoffee9 and his personal experience.

Your last question has been asked, and answered, repeatedly—but I will do so again. No.
You aren't? You claim to support Trump because of some unique ability to pass meaningful legislation. If meaningful legislation mattered you would be pushing for a Democrat controlled Senate and WH.

You're not pushing for a Democrat controlled Senate with Trump as president, are you?

You changed your stance only because someone called you out. You actually told me to go find out whether people agreed with what you were saying.

xatofya2gtu51.jpg

You aren't? You claim to support Trump because of some unique ability to pass meaningful legislation. If meaningful legislation mattered you would be pushing for a Democrat controlled Senate and WH.

You're not pushing for a Democrat controlled Senate with Trump as president, are you?

You changed your stance only because someone called you out. You actually told me to go find out whether people agreed with what you were saying.

His ability to get legislation past an otherwise obstructive GOP-led Senate. I don’t have an issue with a Democrat led House, Senate and WH focused on legislation related to black issues. I just don’t think flipping the Senate will happen. So, as a result, I think that Trump has a better chance to get at least watered-down legislation, like the first step act, passed. I’m old enough to remember that legislation being blocked under the prior administration.

I said that I didn’t know and I made an assumption based on common sense. I acknowledged that a family in need would have a better grasp of those particular needs. When the poster in here mentioned the preference, from the perspective of a family in need, I agreed to defer to him. So you didn’t have to go out and ask because someone came in and gave the perspective.

It's hilarious how people understand wealth is finite when discussing social safety nets but have trouble understanding that when it comes to billionaires. One is taking far more food off of your plate than the other.
My friend...

all their money will trickle down. Believe me. Like you’ve never seen before. I have a plan, well, we have large sections of the plan complete.....

He drinks like that because any amount of water in his face would cause the spray tan to wash off. I’m being serious too. Look at the collars of his shirt when they’re unbuttoned. There’s a huge orange ring

His hands HELLA white. He’s like the reverse of somebody that bleaches their skin. Their hands are always the tell.

His ability to get legislation past an otherwise obstructive GOP-led Senate. I don’t have an issue with a Democrat led House, Senate and WH focused on legislation related to black issues. I just don’t think flipping the Senate will happen. So, as a result, I think that Trump has a better chance to get at least watered-down legislation, like the first step act, passed. I’m old enough to remember that legislation being blocked under the prior administration.
A Trump administration (assuming Congress remains split) may have a better chance at passing legislation that helps black people but you never seem to factor in that this also comes with numerous criminal justice reversals. That's because he installs Attorneys General like Sessions and Barr, people whose views on criminal justice seem to still be stuck in the 90s crime bill mindset. Sessions reversed all of Eric Holder's most impactful criminal justice reforms and Barr kept the Sessions reversals in place. Barr also remains committed to deliberately impeding the implementation of the First Step Act. The only Republican opposition to Barr's obstruction of the FSA's implementation came from just a couple Republicans like Mike Lee.
DOJ dismissed the criticism and defended the policy that demands prosecutors use a certain interpretation of the FSA to unfairly lock defendants back up who should've been eligible for release. A vast majority of judges refuse to buy the argument DOJ uses in those cases and explicitly condemn DOJ for doing so so but DOJ continues to convince at least some judges.

Trump has publicly indicated Barr's job is in jeopardy if he gets re-elected but only because he wants Barr to lock up his political opponents before the election, publicly announce an investigation of the Bidens to boost his re-election campaign, ...
He has also said he's not happy with Barr at the moment due to the above.

If Biden were to win, an aggressive PR campaign and outreach to the black community highlighting the GOP's claimed commitment to passing further reforms in a Second Step Act could increase his odds of success.
Nowadays there is also an increasing push by some of the GOP's biggest megadonors (the Koch network for example) to enact criminal justice reforms. That wasn't really there under Obama.

Similar comments were independently reported by the Washington Post and others. WaPo later reported that Trump complained to several aides that he regretted passing the FSA because it didn't result in a significant boost to his black support in the polls.
The comments are also supported by the fact that Trump continues to explicitly demand actions from Barr regarding his political opponents but refuses to say a word on Barr's obstruction of the FSA's implementation.
https://www.politico.com/story/2019/09/24/trump-kushner-criminal-justice-snub-1507285
a233dbefa66623ec37444efb58a3fd16.png

32d46bc99ecce504c8024bd53c141503.png

Last edited:

I said that I didn’t know and I made an assumption based on common sense. I acknowledged that a family in need would have a better grasp of those particular needs. When the poster in here mentioned the preference, from the perspective of a family in need, I agreed to defer to him. So you didn’t have to go out and ask because someone came in and gave the perspective.
And you don't think the Senate will flip based on *checks notes* your thoughts and feelings. So, you're good with making decisions that affect millions based on nothing more than what you think. I don't know why this is hard to admit.

You told me that I should go talk to families to verify your assumption. In other words, you didn't care enough to determine whether you were making a valid assumption. You decided that what you thought was common sense was good enough. It wasn't long ago that you accused Upptempo Upptempo of being out of touch with the average American.

Clearly what you think is more important than reality.

I’d settle for the burger seasoning recipe and a mustard pack before I unblock the fry lawyer just to point and laugh at

A Trump administration (assuming Congress remains split) may have a better chance at passing legislation that helps black people but you never seem to factor in that this also comes with numerous criminal justice reversals. That's because he installs Attorneys General like Sessions and Barr, people whose views on criminal justice seem to still be stuck in the 90s crime bill mindset. Sessions reversed all of Eric Holder's most impactful criminal justice reforms and Barr kept the Sessions reversals in place. Barr also remains committed to deliberately impeding the implementation of the First Step Act. The only Republican opposition to Barr's obstruction of the FSA's implementation came from just a couple Republicans like Mike Lee.
DOJ dismissed the criticism and defended the policy that demands prosecutors use a certain interpretation of the FSA to unfairly lock defendants back up who should've been eligible for release. A vast majority of judges refuse to buy the argument DOJ uses in those cases and explicitly condemn DOJ for doing so so but DOJ continues to convince at least some judges.

Trump has indicated Barr's job is in jeopardy if he gets re-elected but only because he wants Barr to lock up his political opponents before the election, publicly announce an investigation of the Bidens to boost his re-election campaign, ...

If Biden were to win, an aggressive PR campaign and outreach to the black community highlighting the GOP's claimed commitment to passing further reforms in a Second Step Act could increase his odds of success.
Nowadays there is also an increasing push by some of the GOP's biggest megadonors (the Koch network for example) to enact criminal justice reforms. That wasn't really there under Obama.

Similar comments were independently reported by the Washington Post and others. WaPo later reported that Trump complained to several aides that he regretted passing the FSA because it didn't result in a significant boost to his black support in the polls.
The comments are also supported by the fact that Trump continues to explicitly demand actions from Barr regarding his political opponents but refuses to say a word on Barr's obstruction of the FSA's implementation.
https://www.politico.com/story/2019/09/24/trump-kushner-criminal-justice-snub-1507285
a233dbefa66623ec37444efb58a3fd16.png

32d46bc99ecce504c8024bd53c141503.png

This is, undoubtedly, the best counter-argument to my point that anyone has posted.

It’s compelling.

The one glaring issue with your PR campaign/groundswell of support argument is that we’ve seen that fail as it relates the the First Step Act with the prior administration. The reason that I believe mega donors are backing it now is because they think it plays well. I doubt that enthusiasm would exist with a president of a different party’s

Turning to the DOJ, you already know my response. But going further, the DOJ has long been problematic under presidents from both sides of the aisle. My argument that the DOJ is independent is not a simple punt, but a reality. Luckily, because Trump signed the First Step Act into law, the DOJ efforts undermine it have largely been unsuccessful. If those reports on Trump are true re: regretting the FSA, then I would no longer support him—period.

But like I said, you make a compelling argument. Certainly something to chew on. And far less lazy than the ad hominem attacks that I have become accustomed to in here.

And you don't think the Senate will flip based on *checks notes* your thoughts and feelings. So, you're good with making decisions that affect millions based on nothing more than what you think. I don't know why this is hard to admit.

You told me that I should go talk to families to verify your assumption. In other words, you didn't care enough to determine whether you were making a valid assumption. You decided that what you thought was common sense was good enough. It wasn't long ago that you accused Upptempo Upptempo of being out of touch with the average American.

Clearly what you think is more important than reality.

I don’t understand the point in you asking me questions only to tell me I’m lying about my answers.

If they rhetorical questions “just say that”

I was thinking about how the Senate is heavily tilted in the favor of Republicans (representation based on statehood and not population, which tends to favor rural/white/right-wing people). In turn, since the Senate votes on the justices, this also biases the supreme court against democrats/urban/educated/minorities/non-racists.

It's a month old, but Nate Silver does a great job breaking it down here:

I don’t understand the point in you asking me questions only to tell me I’m lying about my answers.

If they rhetorical questions “just say that”
You don't see the point for a person to ask questions so that they can arrive at a conclusion? This really doesn't make sense to me considering you're a lawyer.

You don't see the point for a person to ask questions so that they can arrive at a conclusion? This really doesn't make sense to me considering you're a lawyer.

You can arrive at any conclusion you like. You can even argue that the answers I gave support your conclusion. But to ask me questions and tell me my answers aren’t my answers is a pointless back-and-forth exercise.

Back
Top Bottom