***Official Political Discussion Thread***

I see it differently.

Trump purposefully floated an insulting, half-baked "platinum" plan, not to win over any serious black voters, but to solidify his appeal with racist whites who appreciated that Trump was insulting the people they hate.

The goal is to reinforce the negative stereotypes, whether it comes in the form of punishments (police profiling, crackdowns on protests) or rewards (fast food and platinum plans).

An actual serious and productive plan for the black community would work against the GOP base and they won't allow that to happen.

but thats my point

despite not having " any semblance of an outreach message or serious plan"

as lame as the platinum plan is or the HBCU thing, or the photo ops with rappers

it seems like it pretty much worked. Donald trump improved his margins in swing state cities with large black populations. im guessing hell have done better with black voters than any recent GOP politician.

imagine if you had a less clumsy. smarter GOP politician, who made even more specific appeals to the black community...

seems to me no reason an even smarter populist conservative politician couldn't get more than Trump.

What is "pretty much worked" though? Because if it was meant to syphon enough votes off the top from the Dems to win the general election, it didn't make much of a dent whatsoever. I do think that if a GOP politician faked his or her concern for Black folks better, maybe some people would get swept into it. But I think that's ultimately antithetical towards the whole identity and history of the Republican party. They don't care and it shows in everything they do (and more notably, in everything they *don't* do). Their antiblackness is baked into the core of the party, any Black person who'd assess their platforms for more than a few seconds would probably be able to sniff it out. In my opinion.

They're clearly going to be in trouble - but I’m pretty sure DJT will try and get sympathy from his followers saying that it’s only because he selflessly ignored his businesses so he could devote himself to MAGA and fixing the pandemic. Clearly that’s nonsense as he’s barely worked and has been padding his pockets the whole time - but he’ll try and make out that he sacrificed hundreds of millions for the benefit of the country.

I still can't believe this was a real thing. What an insulting name.

Did any clowns actually take this seriously?

front.jpg

I see it differently.

Trump purposefully floated an insulting, half-baked "platinum" plan, not to win over any serious black voters, but to solidify his appeal with racist whites who appreciated that Trump was insulting the people they hate.

This has become a dangerous conventional wisdom among young progressive people

this is just wrong.

The Trump campaign made serious efforts to boost his vote share amongst black voters,
they hired staff, opened campaign offices, and held in events in swing state cities with large black populations.

there were multiple reports about this.

"Black colleges and universities; the criminal justice reform bill that Congress passed and he signed last year; and the once-record low unemployment rate among Black Americans reached just before the pandemic that Trump has cited as proof economic conditions have improved under his watch."

"In Wisconsin, Black Voices for Trump has held events in recent weeks at an office the state GOP opened in a predominantly black neighborhood in Milwaukee.
“It’s the first Republican office in the heart of Milwaukee in a very long time,” said Khenzer Senat, the director of Black voter outreach for the Wisconsin Republican Party."

You can think his pitch was clumsy, you can think it was dumb, and you can think it was filled with lies...I would agree.

but to pretend like they spent all that money as some weird 3d chess bank shot to appeal to racists who were going to vote for him anyways, is just willful blindness.

Trump tried harder than any recent Republican to appeal to black and brown voters, and it seems to have worked despite his open racism.
Democrats and progressives should ask themselves why that is rather than try to pretend it didn't happen.

What is "pretty much worked" though? Because if it was meant to syphon enough votes off the top from the Dems to win the general election, it didn't make much of a dent whatsoever. I do think that if a GOP politician faked his or her concern for Black folks better, maybe some people would get swept into it. But I think that's ultimately antithetical towards the whole identity and history of the Republican party. They don't care and it shows in everything they do (and more notably, in everything they *don't* do). Their antiblackness is baked into the core of the party, any Black person who'd assess their platforms for more than a few seconds would probably be able to sniff it out. In my opinion.

It def worked, trump lost because he lost the suburbs, and college educated voters.
his gains with black and brown voters kept him in striking distance.

he lost in the end.
but to pretend like it didn't work is crazy talk.

he increased his share of the black vote, that is the very definition of working.

imo you better hope Tim Scott never wins the nomination.

The idea that you'd win any demographic group 92-8 for the rest of time is also makes zero sense.
The republicans have def not hit their ceiling yet with black voters.

Back
Top Bottom