***Official Political Discussion Thread***

zs44z0s0kh461.jpg

Before we know it, we'll be back to company towns.

Imagine needing a job to have health insurance, and now housing.

But let's hear about how much freedom we have in America.

This can easily be avoided if more individuals purchase homes rather than companies...

All of this. The Dems need to start playing the GOP game and play it effectively to where it has harsh consequences politically for the GOP and they’re getting burned by their own tactics.

The GOP does what they do because they’re reliant on and expect the Dems to not show the same energy and resort to the same tactics. Start Gerrymandering conservative districts. Shut down polling stations in their areas. Make it harder and more of a wait for their voters to vote. Stack the courts with left leaning judges. Openly disrespect conservative political figures. Do everything the GOP has been doing for decades, but do it more effectively.

All of this. The Dems need to start playing the GOP game and play it effectively to where it has harsh consequences politically for the GOP and they’re getting burned by their own tactics.

The GOP does what they do because they’re reliant on and expect the Dems to not show the same energy and resort to the same tactics. Start Gerrymandering conservative districts. Shut down polling stations in their areas. Make it harder and more of a wait for their voters to vote. Stack the courts with left leaning judges. Openly disrespect conservative political figures. Do everything the GOP has been doing for decades, but do it more effectively.

I've heard this kind of assessment before, but I don't really get it. Let me explain why.

The GOP is basically a fascistic party. There are splits within, but by and large its members are committed to absolute hierarchy. Patriarchy is the rule; women can participate so long as they do not upset the hierarchical structure between man and woman (and leave unquestioned the power of perhaps the ultimate patriarch--corporations) . Racism takes multiple forms (dog whistle, birthirism, etc.) and POC can participate so long as they accept their subordinate position. For years, the GOP harnessed the black magic of racism against others, but now the chickens are coming home to roost; if they don't support the fuher, they too will be voted out, or worse, subjected to mob violence. And of course, the GOP denies science and math.

To quote the great Fred Hampton: "We don’t think you fight fire with fire best ; we think you fight fire with water best. We’re going to fight racism not with racism, but we’re going to fight with solidarity."

You don't fight fascism with anti-democratic tendencies (i.e. shutting down polling stations or making it harder for people to vote). You fight fascism by supporting working people across the country, supporting their right to organize, protest, strike, and education. You fight fascism not by quibbling about slogans, but by encouraging more BLM protests, the likes of which did more to save democracy than any Beltway liberal. You pack the court while also working to challenge the aristocratic privilege of the court itself, rejecting the power of 9, 11, or even 13 judges to decide the law of the land over and above the rights of the people.

In other words, you cannot do what the GOP has done 'more effectively' without also accelerating the trend arc toward fascism. There is another way.

I've heard this kind of assessment before, but I don't really get it. Let me explain why.

The GOP is basically a fascistic party. There are splits within, but by and large its members are committed to absolute hierarchy. Patriarchy is the rule; women can participate so long as they do not upset the hierarchical structure between man and woman (and leave unquestioned the power of perhaps the ultimate patriarch--corporations) . Racism takes multiple forms (dog whistle, birthirism, etc.) and POC can participate so long as they accept their subordinate position. For years, the GOP harnessed the black magic of racism against others, but now the chickens are coming home to roost; if they don't support the fuher, they too will be voted out, or worse, subjected to mob violence. And of course, the GOP denies science and math.

To quote the great Fred Hampton: "We don’t think you fight fire with fire best ; we think you fight fire with water best. We’re going to fight racism not with racism, but we’re going to fight with solidarity."

You don't fight fascism with anti-democratic tendencies (i.e. shutting down polling stations or making it harder for people to vote). You fight fascism by supporting working people across the country, supporting their right to organize, protest, strike, and education. You fight fascism not by quibbling about slogans, but by encouraging more BLM protests, the likes of which did more to save democracy than any Beltway liberal. You pack the court while also working to challenge the aristocratic privilege of the court itself, rejecting the power of 9, 11, or even 13 judges to decide the law of the land over and above the rights of the people.

In other words, you cannot do what the GOP has done 'more effectively' without also accelerating the trend arc toward fascism. There is another way.

I don’t disagree with anything you’re saying. It’s all valid. But the Dems situation really is damned if you do, damned if you don’t to me.

In order to pack the courts, specially on the surpreme court level you need the numbers in the senate to either do so or successfully obstruct any future GOP underhanded tactics. In order to have successful police reform, you gotta have the necessary numbers in power.

Gerrymandering and voter suppression and all of that is morally wrong and not something I would rock with under normal circumstances. But the GOP has done so much damage, largely in part to their shady underhanded tactics that playing the game by the book, trying to rally people etc, all of which are good things can have their impact minimized by a GOP that does everything in their power to make their vote have minimal impact.

Maybe there is another way, but when you got the GOP making and breaking rules when it’s convenient for them, you either gotta fight back and match their energy and let them know, if this how you intend to play, we’re totally willing to play the exact same way.

If you don’t want that call a truce and let’s run strictly on policy and record. Of course the GOP wouldn’t do that because if they ran strictly on policy with no underhanded tactics, they’re getting washed consistently.

I don’t disagree with anything you’re saying. It’s all valid. But the Dems situation really is damned if you do, damned if you don’t to me.

In order to pack the courts, specially on the surpreme court level you need the numbers in the senate to either do so or successfully obstruct any future GOP underhanded tactics. In order to have successful police reform, you gotta have the necessary numbers in power.

Gerrymandering and voter suppression and all of that is morally wrong and not something I would rock with under normal circumstances. But the GOP has done so much damage, largely in part to their shady underhanded tactics that playing the game by the book, trying to rally people etc, all of which are good things can have their impact minimized by a GOP that does everything in their power to make their vote have minimal impact.

Maybe there is another way, but when you got the GOP making and breaking rules when it’s convenient for them, you either gotta fight back and match their energy and let them know, if this how you intend to play, we’re totally willing to play the exact same way.

If you don’t want that call a truce and let’s run strictly on policy and record. Of course the GOP wouldn’t do that because if they ran strictly on policy with no underhanded tactics, they’re getting washed consistently.

You've characterized the dilemma perfectly. And you've hit on a surprisingly paradoxical problem: How do you defeat minoritarian rule? (I say paradoxical because you would think that it's easier to defeat a small band of dissenters, but the history of slavery, Jim Crow, and imperial rule all suggest otherwise).

The struggle is all the more greater because of the geopolitical situation. You needed the Allies during World War II to defeat Nazi Germany. But who on the global stage will stand tall against the modern GOP? And given the declining significance of place-based consumption, the ability to use direct action techniques (sit-ins, boycotts, etc) won't have nearly the same impact as it did during the modern civil rights movement.

And yet, I just resist the suggestion that emulation of GOP tactics contains the seeds of anything good.

Back
Top Bottom