***Official Political Discussion Thread***

ErGHMGZXAAIdYnY
yo, who made this their upcoming album release cover? HNL HI HNL HI ? **** was up there with Boggie Down Productions by All Means Necessary cover.

I can't unsee it. Post of the year so far in 2021.

The 1860 census shows that in the states that would soon secede from the Union, an average of more than 32 percent of white families owned enslaved people. Some states had far more slave owners (46 percent of families in South Carolina, 49 percent in Mississippi) while some had far less (20 percent of families in Arkansas).

This is helpful, thanks. I wasn’t specific enough. There were regional differences, to be sure, and slave ownership was widespread. But my basic point still holds (Re: so called rednecks and class differentiation among slaveholders):

“In 1860 only 11,000 Southerners, three-quarters of one percent of the white population owned more than 50 slaves; a mere 2,358 owned as many as 100 slaves. However, although large slaveholders were few in number, they owned most of the South’s slaves. Over half of all slaves lived on plantations with 20 or more slaves and a quarter lived on plantations with more than 50 slaves.” (http://www.digitalhistory.uh.edu/copyright.cfm)

Back
Top Bottom