***Official Political Discussion Thread***

so what's the game plan after the dems get rid of the filibuster? I know we all talk about passing all this legislation, but what happens in 2/4/6/8 years when republicans eventually gain back the house and senate and just undo everything? Is the argument get rid of it then hope its enough that republicans never win again?
To pass voting rights bills to make the country more Democratic

It will be harder for the GOP to win back the House without gerrymander unless they moderate themselves

Adding DC and PR as states create two hardcore liberal seats and two left-leaning purple seats. Makes it harder for the GOP to have a hardcore conservative Senate majority

Less voter suppression will increase the Dems chances in swing states during the presidential

Must the Dems have more popular things in their platform the GOP.

So the plan isn't really to hope the GOP never gets into power but hope you can fix democracy enough, and pass enough popular things that the GOP has to reform itself to win and keep power.

And if they **** up, voters will be able to punish them

The status quo is clearly not working. The GOP is within inches of locking in minority rule for a generation anyway.

So you either let them have it, or fight back.

0% chance it happens

100% chance the dems blow their advantage then. F’ing joke. If this past fours years doesn’t fill them with rage nothing will. They are a lost cause.

let the party split in two and the young ones with big d energy will take a beating for a decade or two then rise to the top and actually act like winners.

100% chance the dems blow their advantage then. F’ing joke. If this past fours years doesn’t fill them with rage nothing will. They are a lost cause.

let the party split in two and the young ones with big d energy will take a beating for a decade or two then rise to the top and actually act like winners.
You gotta start making better takes than this

If it doesn’t happen I still think they will lose their advantage. I don’t think that’s a hot take at all.

If it doesn’t happen I still think they will lose their advantage. I don’t think that’s a hot take at all.
I think what made it a hot take was:

-Right now there are reportedly four people on record against the filibuster. Manchin, and Sinema are hard no. Tester said he is a no but will change his mind if nothing is getting done. Feinstein reportedly wants to keep it out of a sense of tradition, but nothing is on the record. One of the biggest advocates for it is the Senate Majority leader, and most Dem Senators seem to support it.

So when you refer to Democrats, do you mean the overwhelming majority that wants to do the right thing or the handful of idiots? because that is an important distinction

-The Dems will blow their advantage over the filibuster because they need to pass electoral reform to unrig the system against them. That is the main driver of long term Democratic losses that is filibuster related

-The splitting the party thing is dumb. All due respect, but it is dumb

So the party split, the GOP gets supermajorities, maybe even constitutional amendment level majorities, and you don't think they will use that to lock in permanent minority rule?

Some knew a young leftist party is not gonna get another chance to win in 10 or 20 years, for many reasons, but mainly the GOP's further rigging.

In the interim, the GOP does way more destruction

So yeah, think there were issues with your take.

Last edited:
I think what made it a hot take was:

-Right now there are reportedly four people on record against the filibuster. Manchin, and Sinema are hard no. Tester said he is a no but will change his mind if nothing is getting done. Feinstein reportedly wants to keep it out of a sense of tradition, but nothing is on the record. One of the biggest advocates for it is the Senate Majority leader, and most Dem Senators seem to support it.

So when you refer to Democrats, do you mean the overwhelming majority that wants to do the right thing or the handful of idiots? because that is an important distinction

-The Dems will blow their advantage over the filibuster because they need to pass electoral reform to unrig the system against them. That is the main driver of long term Democratic losses that is filibuster related

-The splitting the party thing is dumb. All due respect, but it is dumb

So the party split, the GOP gets supermajorities, maybe even constitutional amendment level majorities, and you don't think they will use that to lock in permanent minority rule?

Some knew a young leftist party is not gonna get another chance to win in 10 or 20 years, for many reasons, but mainly the GOP's further rigging.

In the interim, the GOP does way more destruction

So yeah, think there were issues with your take.

Just wanted to get your advice here. What can any of us do at this point to help ensure HR1 can pass? Call Manchin and Sinema at their offices constantly? People turned out in overwhelming numbers to give us a slim advantage here and they're not letting us pass extremely urgent legislation. It's beyond frustrating. I would like to think I can do something of use besides ***** and whine.

Yeah, that’s how I feel.

it just makes me mad. Like I’d be gunning for those dudes trying to keep the filibuster too if I was in government. No mercy, that’s how it has to be. No room for that bs.

Look at this bull****...

People are going to laugh at the sheer absurdity of this quote, but it's no laughing matter.

Racist scapegoating in this country seldom fails to incite violence.

Cue stock footage of the Iowa State Fair and acne-pocked Proud Boys guzzling milk as proof of their purported "genetic superiority."

eh can't win em all.
I don't have anything serious to say on the subject.
we already know.gif

Back
Top Bottom