***Official Political Discussion Thread***

Billionaires aren't actually the problem when i comes to homelessness.

It's the middle class homeowner cartel

I think it’s all part of a broken system

hard for me to start at the middle class when they’re the ones trying come and making some headway in that broken system.. but the carrot is constantly moving.. housing market is crazy which is causing changes from a number of aspects and society hasn’t properly adjusted as things have just gotten harder from a financial and even just accessibility perspective

but my first 3 changes would be the 2 I mentioned and health care costs

Dems seem to want to include Republicans in everything when the Republicans seem set on destroying the Dems agenda. Dems may not be able to accomplish much, which may result in their base not being excited to turnout during the midterms, which isn’t good because Dems typically don’t turnout for midterm elections. Republicans may be able to inspire their base to come out to vote.Joe gotta work on getting rid of the filibuster.

Last edited:

hard for me to start at the middle class when they’re the ones trying come and making some headway in that broken system.. but the carrot is constantly moving.. housing market is crazy which is causing changes from a number of aspects and society hasn’t properly adjusted as things have just gotten harder from a financial and even just accessibility perspective

I see what you mean about he other topics, housing though I think it's important to be really clear.
you could have a 99.9% top marginal tax rate and the homeless problem would continue to be what it is.

Middle class people are fundamentally in control of this. and you can't let em off the hook with billionaire talk

or you get stuff like this

1626971689857.png

middle class people thinking they are radical leftists :lol:
because they **** post about Jeff Bezos space joy ride.

meanwhile fighting tooth and nail to ensure nothing ever gets built in their neighborhood.

This interview with Ezra Klein and Kendi was quite good.

He presses him and pushes back more effectively than most liberal journalists who are inclined to just roll with whatever Kendi says

I’m not really of big fan of Kendi. Seems like he’s an opportunist.

nah def not.

I think he's an interesting thinker,
and if white people read his book and realized that racism is bad, that's great

but I think a lot of his concrete prescriptions nuh mek sense
but that's common problem with intellectuals.

Billionaires have distorted to the macroeconomy to the point they definitely cause some of the issues that drive housing costs higher

And if we were to launch a massive housing supply push, it would definitely have to involve taxing them more

But osh kosh bosh osh kosh bosh is right, it is the middle class that is the major roadblock to making a dent in our housing issue. They pretty much sabotage most efforts to fix things.

If we look at it as a right-left thing. With the left, it is basically good actors in the middle class fighting against bad actors in the middle class, but the bad actors have completely deluded themselves they are the good guys. You will get a ton of talk about how protecting the "rights" of incumbent minority homeowners overweighs expanding affordable housing to prospective minority homeowners. Everyone wants people to have affordable housing of course, but not around them. Like in LA, people voted to increase their own taxes for them to build homeless shelters, which was great, the problem was that communities that voted for funding the shelters now don't want them built in their neighborhoods.

On the right, it is mainly racism. Sure protecting housing value is real too but let black people want to move into their neighborhood and a free market loving white libertarian all of a sudden start talking like restrictive zoning laws were written into the damn constitution.

Last edited:
I see what you mean about he other topics, housing though I think it's important to be really clear.
you could have a 99.9% top marginal tax rate and the homeless problem would continue to be what it is.

Middle class people are fundamentally in control of this. and you can't let em off the hook with billionaire talk

or you get stuff like this

1626971689857.png

middle class people thinking they are radical leftists :lol:
because they **** post about Jeff Bezos space joy ride.

meanwhile fighting tooth and nail to ensure nothing ever gets built in their neighborhood.

that is definitely a problem.. but I kinda get it since you have to commit to such a degree for the asset and it’s only getting worse and banks have to factored into that side of things too plus schools and the raising costs there

I bet the GOP has this.

I wouldn’t be surprised. But whatever happens happens to their base. They can plead for them to get vaccinated. But unless it’s comes from their supreme leader Trump himself, they’re not going to listen. Oh well. I don’t feel the least bit bad for them.

Even if they did comparisons going back to before the vaccine was available, I’m sure the disparity would be one sided when it’s one side that was primarily refusing to wear masks, refusing to social distance, and who see moving responsibility during covid as an attack on their freedoms.

that is definitely a problem.. but I kinda get it since you have to commit to such a degree for the asset and it’s only getting worse and banks have to factored into that side of things too plus schools and the raising costs there

The criticism isn’t that middle class NIMBYism isn’t economically rational, especially in a limited horizon. But Billionaires are being totally rational when they rig the system.

Even if they did comparisons going back to before the vaccine was available, I’m sure the disparity would be one sided when it’s one side that was primarily refusing to wear masks, refusing to social distance, and who see moving responsibility during covid as an attack on their freedoms.

Before the vaccine deaths were disproportionately hitting black and brown communities. I really hated the “let them die” take from some people on the left because it failed to factor in the effects on systematically vulnerable groups.

I also would be interested in post-vaccine numbers, though.

Back
Top Bottom