***Official Political Discussion Thread***

Wargames Wargames
Taking over the Democratic party is one thing, but it still wouldn't fix the issue of hyperpolarization and all the other problems that we are experiencing because of the permanent coalitions that are the Dem/Rep parties.

Even though it would make me feel good to see progressives take over the Democratic party, we should recognize that it would be a short-term victory with terrible consequences: two dominant and ideologically opposed parties can only destabilize a society as they get more entrenched. The only way to fix things is to change the way our elections work so that more than two parties can exist in Congress, but there should be a coalition of democrats and republicans who get together to push that idea to the forefront of the political debate.

The main hurdle to this idea is the willingness to lose power, and I currently don't see many politicians on either side who are willing to damage the short term electoral prospects of their party for the long-term stability of our society.

Until then, we're pretty much stuck in this left/right cycle until things break down beyond repair.

This week we talked about how teachers should have to answer to parents because they are public servants, and because of a bad faith moral panic whipped up by conservatives

Like us take a look at another place where conservatives are going after public servants...

Wargames Wargames
Taking over the Democratic party is one thing, but it still wouldn't fix the issue of hyperpolarization and all the other problems that we are experiencing because of the permanent coalitions that are the Dem/Rep parties.

Even though it would make me feel good to see progressives take over the Democratic party, we should recognize that it would be a short-term victory with terrible consequences: two dominant and ideologically opposed parties can only destabilize a society as they get more entrenched. The only way to fix things is to change the way our elections work so that more than two parties can exist in Congress, but there should be a coalition of democrats and republicans who get together to push that idea to the forefront of the political debate.

The main hurdle to this idea is the willingness to lose power, and I currently don't see many politicians on either side who are willing to damage the short term electoral prospects of their party for the long-term stability of our society.

Until then, we're pretty much stuck in this left/right cycle until things break down beyond repair.
I agree with you, I was just explaining the barriers to a third or fourth party existing. The only way it could happen would be a local coalition putting people in position with the understanding they would leave to form the new party later.

These politicians wouldn’t have to be democratic leadership. They would just have to be electeds and it couldn’t just be one. It would probably have to be a whole stable of politicians starting from the local level, through the state, and probably ending with a few members in congress. Then they as a group could separate to form their own party. if not then you would have another AOC situation where a superstar politician is in place but has no team to support them.

The Tea party isn’t going to be repeated, there isn’t nearly enough outside money to fund it. A actual grassroots approach could work for the Democrats.

The only hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm I recognize is when our President Emeritus makes a point that us mere simpletons don't understand right away and our minds go into hyper drive to understand.

mth4lswwms181.jpg

Back
Top Bottom