***Official Political Discussion Thread***

The "good guys" were THERE, and they handcuffed the parents and tased them instead of doing their jobs. The GOP is claiming it was a small town so the cops weren't equipped to deal with the situation. Except, they literally had a SWAT unit, with military grade equipment, and they stood there for 90 minutes while kids got slaughtered.

Reminds me of the night I was at a bar (in Seattle) where a shooting occurred. The gunman was long gone by the time cops showed up, the ambulance was already there to take care of the wounded bouncer. Literally, 20 cop cars showed up, and dudes were running into the alley with ARs and shot guns. I made a comment to the effect of "you're a little late, bro". That did not go over well.

I followed up with a cop buddy of mine a few months later because I could accurately describe the shooter, and he said they knew who the shooter was, as the gun had been used in a couple other homicides in a homeless encampment double-murder. They never arrested the guy because they wanted to bust a drug ring, rather than arrest a murderer.

x5lwgkya9z191.jpg

They got me. :lol:

When the Onion take reality and turns it up to 11, that's one thing. But satirists taking reality and giving it a 10% buff is another matter entirely.

I'm always reminded of the Paul Krassner quote, "for years, reality has been nipping at the heels of satire. Now, it's finally caught up."

Yesterday's satire may indeed be a preview of tomorrow's headlines, but it's nonetheless important to avoid conflating the two.

Compelling, but there might be an intervening variable in play here. Could someone plot drill rap and video game sales per capita vs. gun deaths, just to be sure?

that seems to be back.

I grew up on hip hop albums with "parental advisory" stickers and probably played every video game Joe Lieberman wanted banned over the course of my childhood. I'm a vegan pacifist.

The notion that rap music and video games have more to do with gun violence than guns is farcical. Video games and rap music are popular all over the world, yet mass shootings are decidedly not a global phenomenon.

While, to my knowledge, no scientific evidence exists to demonstrate that video games and rap music cause violence, some rap music and video games may be said to reflect a violent, sexist culture. Ironically, they do so in service to the same archaic “macho” culture Fox News constantly celebrates as “traditional values, " whether as part of their weird "tribute to men" or their endless Boomer nostalgia parade.

Violence in video games and rap music exist within the same cultural milieu that celebrates "Dirty Harry" and genocidal frontier gunslingers. This is a culture in which dominance - especially male dominance - is equated with strength and virtue. Those who fail to dominate suffer humiliation, which is processed as rage by men socialized to believe that anger is the only acceptable emotion they can display.

Guns are marketed to the insecure as a means of push-button dominance. You need not be physically fit, professionally accomplished, or financially stable to impose your will. You need only point your gun at someone to instill fear and command respect. A gun cannot be easily ignored.

Claiming that rap music and video games are categorically violent is like claiming that movies in general are violent. Some are. Many aren't. While any reasonable person recognizes this as a cheap diversionary ploy, it should not surprise us that violent art exists in a country whose lands were largely stolen at gunpoint, whose wealth was built by people abducted at gunpoint, and whose "freedom" was secured through gun and cannon fire.

As such, it's far more accurate to suggest that gun violence influenced violent video games and songs as opposed to the inverse.

It’s darkly hilarious to me how quickly “law and order” Republicans become anarchists when the subject is gun control.

“By definition, criminals don't respect the law. What’s the point of making a law that criminals won’t respect?”

I grew up on hip hop albums with "parental advisory" stickers and probably played every video game Joe Lieberman wanted banned over the course of my childhood. I'm a vegan pacifist.

The notion that rap music and video games have more to do with gun violence than guns is farcical. Video games and rap music are popular all over the world, yet mass shootings are decidedly not a global phenomenon.

While, to my knowledge, no scientific evidence exists to demonstrate that video games and rap music cause violence, some rap music and video games may be said to reflect a violent, sexist culture. Ironically, they do so in service to the same archaic “macho” culture Fox News constantly celebrates as “traditional values, " whether as part of their weird "tribute to men" or their endless Boomer nostalgia parade.

Violence in video games and rap music exist within the same cultural milieu that celebrates "Dirty Harry" and genocidal frontier gunslingers. This is a culture in which dominance - especially male dominance - is equated with strength and virtue. Those who fail to dominate suffer humiliation, which is processed as rage by men socialized to believe that anger is the only acceptable emotion they can display.

Guns are marketed to the insecure as a means of push-button dominance. You need not be physically fit, professionally accomplished, or financially stable to impose your will. You need only point your gun at someone to instill fear and command respect. A gun cannot be easily ignored.

Claiming that rap music and video games are categorically violent is like claiming that movies in general are violent. Some are. Many aren't. While any reasonable person recognizes this as a cheap diversionary ploy, it should not surprise us that violent art exists in a country whose lands were largely stolen at gunpoint, whose wealth was built by people abducted at gunpoint, and whose "freedom" was secured through gun and cannon fire.

As such, it's far more accurate to suggest that gun violence influenced violent video games and songs as opposed to the inverse.

I always think of this song when this comes up, for me growing up listening to rap was the start of looking for a more informed view of things in the US.

I recently attended a forum on policing and gun reform and one of the progressive panelists made a pretty compelling argument that certain further restrictions on guns (such as requiring lock boxes/safes) will have a negative impact on people that look like me.

I think the often-ignored reality is that all of these well-intentioned policy ideas will likely lead to further over-policing of black and brown communities.

No one is buying any of that bull**** Delk

It is truly pathetic that after a white supremacists committed an act of genocide, and gun deregulation lead to little kids being murdered in their school, that you would try to troll with the same old tired tactics

Whatever morals your soul had, it is clear you liquidated them a long time ago.

Truly pathetic

Last edited:
Say it is true, was this a say unhelpful things conference? What were the suggested, impactful forward moving solutions?

Say it is true, was this a say unhelpful things conference? What were the suggested, impactful forward moving solutions?

That particular panelist supported abolishing the police generally, replacing them with members of the community, and redistributing those former police resources to education and low-income housing and food.

He acknowledged that was unrealistic (after a question from me) and said that at the very least there should be a redistribution of resources with more focus on the areas above.

It’s important to note this was more focused on gun violence generally and not mass shootings. But the forward-moving solutions were all based on the redistribution of those resources.

It's sick how the right wing clowns have taken a legit issue with what's happening to Uyghurs in China and turned it into a deflection tactic anytime NBA players/coaches speak out about something.

Pretending like they care about a religious (especially Muslim) minority group. :smh:

Back
Top Bottom