***Official Political Discussion Thread***

How has nobody posted this yet? Did it fly under everyone else’s radar all day as well 😭

566679A2-5600-4E39-A1F4-DCC943C2816E.jpeg

I love reading the business press. It’s like when you favorite team is playing on the road and you have to step away from the TV for a minute. If you hear cheering, your team is doing poorly. If the crowd is quite or otherwise unhappy sounding, your team is doing well.

Jubilance in the business press tends to be misery for regular and/or marginalized people.

I do disagree with Kulwin’s take that liberals don’t understand nor care about the housing crisis. As usual it tends to be the case where progressive liberals have good policy ideas and centrists do not.

I love reading the business press. It’s like when you favorite team is playing on the road and you have to step away from the TV for a minute. If you hear cheering, your team is doing poorly. If the crowd is quite or otherwise unhappy sounding, your team is doing well.

Jubilance in the business press tends to be misery for regular and/or marginalized people.

I do disagree with Kulwin’s take that liberals don’t understand nor care about the housing crisis. As usual it tends to be the case where progressive liberals have good policy ideas and centrists do not.

It’s a story of the haves (the older people) and the have nots (the millennials and zoomers). Of course the more centrists don’t care as they are making $$$ off it.

I haven't been able to participate in this thread as much as I'd like of late for a number of reasons - some of which you can probably guess - but I would be remiss if I didn't use the platform to direct people to information about this case, because it's not getting nearly enough attention:

I was gonna make a joke about not posting video from my work, but this brings to light something that is rarely talked about

Rural America is way more hostile to anything liberal that people realize. I remember reading an article about Fetterman in the Spring and what jumped out at me is how casually instances of harassment toward Democrats living in Trump country were.

Like you put up the wrong yard sign and your neighbors start vandalizing your home, harassing you and making threats.

And the main takeaway is always "these people are angry, Dems forgot about them, they need to find a way to reach them"

Fox News and AM radio has done a number on these people. Create a ton of very angry very reactionary voters.

In Nevada I have seen it too. Some parts of the state you can't get people to volunteer. The threat of violence in these areas are real.

At 6 pm every evening in the small towns of Minden and Gardnerville, Nevada, a siren blares. Since 1917, this sound has served as a warning to any Native people within earshot to leave town by sunset, in accordance with a blatantly unconstitutional local ordinance that remained on the books until 1974.

Despite its repeal, the sirens persist - now protected by legislative fig leaf designating it as an homage to local first responders. Though the formal justification for the siren may have changed, its message has not.

American terrorism is not merely a means to a material end - but an end unto itself. It is deployed well beyond territorial capture or "behavioral deterrence." It is a constant assertion of dominance: the drumbeat of supremacy.

There are those who believe that the terms of our existence are "kill or be killed," conquer or be conquered. Equality, for them, is an unnatural abstraction. Any attempt to deny or subvert the "natural order" is perceived as a threat to their way of life and a matter of survival.
Anything they might do while in this state of existential anxiety qualifies, to them, as an act of "self defense."

There will never be peace for those who define themselves in opposition to "others," yet are terrified by the possibility of difference.

Hegemony, even to the point of complete homogeneity, is not enough. You can be cordoned off in devalued, redlined districts, segregated housing projects, unincorporated outposts, or reservations. Your property can be seized. Your children can be seized. Your language and culture can be subjected to erasure. And it will not be enough. It will never be enough.

For that reason, all of these right wing social media platforms are invariably doomed to failure.

Culture warriors do not want a private pity party where they can be crude and obnoxious without consequence. They want to rub it in our faces.

There is no more appealing target to a supremacist than a sanctuary - be it a place of worship, a private residence, a cherished homeland, a school building, the innermost chambers of the U.S. Capitol, or an Internet message board.

The terrorist attack on Club Q in Colorado is sadly the latest in a long, long list:

IMG_3515.jpg

Billy Ray Valentine doesn't deserve this.

Back
Top Bottom