Official Prey 2 and Predator 6 Movie Threads. Vol. Yes, Two movies OTW!

Fully expected to be revealed that the predator is actually on earth to save the kid from the humans in the end.

Good guy Predator misunderstood.

Shane Black went from being in Predator to filming a Predator movie.

*fun fact* He was actually only in that og movie so the studio heads can have him around to give ideas while they were filming because the script was in such a mess originally. I've never been able to find out what parts of the movie he exactly "advised" in though.

But this is proof that while some people can have good ideas, you still need a director with a good vision and can weave a good story together. If you want to piss yourself off, just watch Iron Man 3 with him and his buddy's commentary. He does things in his movie just for the sake of it being "shocking" and "surprising" and is always trying to think of ways to outsmart the audience. Sometimes, you don't need all that. Especially in a movie about an intergalactic species who kills people:smh:

nah about the autism angle.

Because it just sounds so contrived and cheap. People who've seen the screeners said he plays the typical "young kid who gets bullied" trope anyway, so what does making him autistic really add to the story?

Like I get if a little kid is the reason bad **** happens in a movie, but to use kid with autism in the plot to be able to decipher an alien language just makes me cringe thinking about it.

It's just in poor taste if you ask me. But if it doesn't bother anyone else, that's cool too. Like I said, I'm just a huge Predator fan because the og movies were simple and enjoyable to watch. You don't need to re-invent the franchise with all these "layers" just for the sake of it.

Because it just sounds so contrived and cheap. People who've seen the screeners said he plays the typical "young kid who gets bullied" trope anyway, so what does making him autistic really add to the story?

Like I get if a little kid is the reason bad **** happens in a movie, but to use kid with autism in the plot to be able to decipher an alien language is just absolutely unnecessary and cheap. It's just in poor taste, if you ask me but if it doesn't bother anyone else, that's good. Like I said, I'm just a huge Predator fan because the og movies were simple and enjoyable to watch. You don't need to re-invent the franchise with all these "layers" just for the sake of it.

I'm admittedly bias so i enjoy seeing autistic characters in movie

In poor taste how?

In poor taste how?

There is plenty of room for autistic characters in cinema, but I get what Jay is getting at, seems like in this specific movie is just being used as a plot device where there is simply no need for it, this movie is nothing more than a gore fest, that’s what it’s always been, a survival gore fest...not sure what adding an autistic kid brings to the story, but like I said I fully expect this kid to somehow be able to communicate with the predators, maybe the predators speak autism...

Shane Black Logic.

Let’s not sit here and pretend the portrayal of autism in movies and TV is even remotely accurate either. The majority of the time it is an insult to all effected by it.

In poor taste how?

Maybe poor taste was a poor choice of words but in my opinion, it's still just a completely unnecessary trait to add to a character in a Predator movie and I can't help but feel it just feels "cheap". Like in every article I read about the movie, they have to make it a clear point that he has autism.

This is the synopsis;
Holbrook (Logan, Narcos) stars as Quinn McKenna, a former Marine who discovered the existence of the Predator aliens, but can't get anyone to believe him. Eventually his autistic son (Jacob Tremblay) and his ex-wife (Yvonne Strahovski) are pulled into the action after McKenna tries to hunt down the Predators.

This'll probably be the last reply I make about it because it's gonna come across like I hate characters with autism but I was merely answering your questions. Like I said, it comes across as forced and I don't know if they're trying to get sympathetic ticket sales or something but to me, it doesn't add anything to a movie that desperately needs excitement to surround the film.

But like you said, you enjoy seeing autistic characters in movie, so maybe I'm just not the visionary that Shane Black seems to be with a ticket paying audience:lol:

Let’s not sit here and pretend the portrayal of autism in movies and TV is even remotely accurate either. The majority of the time it is an insult to all effected by it.

Another synopsis of the kid's character below:smh:

Jacob Tremblay as Rory McKenna, Emma and Quinn's troubled son, who has a form of autism and is bullied in school but becomes a key player in the fight against the Predators due to his preternatural ability to learn languages.

Autistic kids tend to be very smart and have an ability to focus on very specific things, I think there is an autistic artist who legit can paint entire city skylines in fulll detail straight off memory, is **** nuts to see.

I guess that’s the angle they playing, I didn’t even read the synopsis before and just off the autism angle I already see where they’re they are taking this...pretty weak and unessesary, quote me...kid is gonna end up with his own personal Predator by the end of the film.

Man this is highly inaccurate.

I’m not expert on the matter, so maybe I’m wording it wrong, my wife is an OT with a background in speech and has worked with autistic children in the past and that’s my understanding of it, they gravitate towards something very specific, be it math, reading, dinosaurs, language, etc and pretty much master it....however that doesn’t make up for everything else they are challenged with specially on a social level...

What is preternatural?

Not exactly the words I think of when I do charity events with autistic kids every year, but Shane Black gonna Shane Black just so he can have a deus ex machina in his plot to end the movie:rolleyes

B6815FE3-2A84-46EC-8DAD-933A2CB569B3.jpeg

Teaser doesn't really have me interested. So far I would only watch off nostalgia alone.

They are making the kid to be more like an autistic savant, which is still a reach and not necessary.

I’m not expert on the matter, so maybe I’m wording it wrong, my wife is an OT with a background in speech and has worked with autistic children in the past and that’s my understanding of it, they gravitate towards something very specific, be it math, reading, dinosaurs, language, etc and pretty much master it....however that doesn’t make up for everything else they are challenged with specially on a social level...

this can be true but autism is a spectrum some kids on the spectrum are more severly affected than others while others symtoms are more mild and limited to social interactions

this is an unfortunate truth as well but it is also why I'm excited to see more autistic characters in movies in hopes of more grounded and accurate portrayals

I enjoyed the kid in the new power rangers movie thought he did ok given the platform

Back
Top Bottom