:::[Official] San Francisco 49ers 2024 Offseason Thread [NFC CHAMPIONS]:::

Should UnicornHunter’s faithful card be revoked for his blasphemous Patrick Willis comments?

• Yes permanently

Votes: 31 79.5%
  • Yes temporarily

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • No

Votes: 3 7.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
reuben foster and solly oh my gawd how'd i forget we landed bof'em in the same draft in the same round :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:

if it weren't for Kittle, that 2017 draft year would have been abject poverty for the 49ers. obviously hindsight is 20/20 but some of the talent in that draft we passed on:ohwell::ohwell:

I like the idea of trading down. Just make whatever team that is trying to trade up (especially if certain QB's are still available) take Armstead's contract :evil:
Cut Ford as well and we have some massive savings lol

2 first rounders fred warner and nick bosa or javon kinlaw would do it their value vs contract cost is pretty nutty

then trade jimmy elsewhere to one of the 6-8 QB hungry teams that cant land lawrence fields wilson lance to ensure an early 2nd round pick to try to plug up the holes

but i'd never do it. and it would 100% entail resigning solomon thomas to a team friendly deal

I would not be surprised if the Niners re-signed Solly to a team friendly deal.

Tim Ryan and the beat writers were hyping him up big time at the start of last season lol.

I have completely flip flopped my opinion.

If Jimmy + Nick Bosa is what it takes to trade for Deshaun Watson, sign me up.

Flame suit on. Dont care lol

This is a depressing opinion from Colin Cowherd.I still believe the Niners will make the playoffs but I don’t believe Jimmy can lead us to a title anymore.I just wish we had a top 5-10 qb in all honesty. The only thing that would hold me back from trading for Watson if I were Lynch would be if the Texans insisted on Bosa in the deal.
56452CD3-840F-483B-96B4-703B93CF1A7D.jpeg
56452CD3-840F-483B-96B4-703B93CF1A7D.jpeg

i keep telling people this but the ****ty teams get the best players, ya gotta learn how to succeed without the rockstars

****ty teams consistently have things like the best picks to draft incoming players or those coveted picks to trade away for the star players other teams have signed. they also can influence free agents with the promise of drafting complimentary players (e.g influence a free agent QB to come over by promising to draft a first round OL or WR)

e.g see the cleveland browns, they've been able to draft, trade for, and sign everyone they want and they still suck

p.s related: jj watt says he wants to go to the browns because he believes they have the pieces necessary to succeed

p.s.s imagine myles garrett and jj watt rushing you at the same time :sick:

Last edited:
how long were the browns bad before this season though?! you really wanna be ****ty for the next decade at this stage of where the team is?

i don't "want to be ****ty" for any period of time, i'm just pointing out the league mechanisms that funnel better players to worse teams to try to balance the league

basically offseason there are 9ers fans who are like "oh let's sign this free agent star player", "oooh let's trade for that team's star player", "oooooooh let's trade up for the top ranked college QB" and then those players invariably go to the browns, jets, jaguars, etc.

at a certain point you have to recognize the pattern and realize that those guys are basically never going to fall into your lap

so you need to make a plan that accounts for that. no one said to plan on being ****ty. just to stop imagining that jj watt deshaun watson odell beckham jr aaron rodgers joey bosa or whatever hot name you want are coming over

High draft picks only means you have a better chance of landing all pro talent, but that only happens if the talent pans out. Jamarcus Russell, Robert Gallery, Joey Harrington, Ryan Leaf, Reggie Bush, etc. all did not live up to expectations.

It’s been said countless times, the draft is a crapshoot.

if the draft is a crapshoot, how are free agents and trades not? it's all a "crapshoot" what matters are the resulting numbers and data .

would you really argue that the guys who they have traded for or signed as free agents i.e dee ford, weseton richburg, jimmy garoppolo have been better than the guys theyve drafted i.e fred warner, nick bosa, george kittle, deebo samuel?

of course the system is set up to benefit the ****ty teams to try to make the league competitive, but how many SBs do the brown, jags and jets have combined in the last 20 years?

I’m confident we’ll be in the playoffs next season.If I were John Lynch I would offer a 2021 3rd rd compensatory and 2022 1st rd for Sam Darnold. Put Darnold in Shanny’s system with that coaching staff and we have a top 10 qb in my opinion.That 2022 1st is going to be in the 20’s or 30’s so Lynch should offer it up in a heartbeat for Darnold.Also we have a year to evaluate him and decide if we should pick up his 5th year option.

if the draft is a crapshoot, how are free agents and trades not? it's all a "crapshoot" what matters are the resulting numbers and data .

would you really argue that the guys who they have traded for or signed as free agents i.e dee ford, weseton richburg, jimmy garoppolo have been better than the guys theyve drafted i.e fred warner, nick bosa, george kittle, deebo samuel?

Free agents and trades at least have some data to go off of at the professional level. Obviously there is risk involved in any move being made. But its silly to draw parallels as far as risk goes from the draft to trades/free agency.

But you know that.

yes, because the ****ty teams get the best draft prospects and / or using those picks to trade for players or influence free agents...

we've done it! we've come full circle! :lol:

but my points are these

1. the players they 49ers have drafted since the most recent regime change have paid more dividends than the players they've traded for or signed in free agency i dont expect that trend to change this upcoming season.

dee ford jimmy garopolo weston richburg malcolm smith jerrick mckinnon tevin coleman have all eaten up a ton of money for relatively little production compared to their counterparts.

best guys they've gotten outside the draft were richard sherman (who they now can't afford) and e-man sanders (who was only a rental, because, surprise surprise, they couldn't afford to keep him)

*FLAMESUIT/BULLETPROOF/NUCELAR HAZMAT SUIT ON"

2. and making the playoffs is good, but if you don't win a lombardi trophy , you don't have much to show for it. they've had 6 trips in that ~20 year time, 2 conference losses, 2 NFC champ game loss, and 2 super bowl losses.

Are people satisfied with that or do they want better? I Thought the goal was always to win the ring.

...but the teams you are mention have less to show in the same period of time.

i don’t think you’re completely wrong, i think you’re taking it to an extreme. the sweet spot is somewhere in between. we’re at a point where we’re a key player maybe 2 from being able to close the deal. all teams make bad free agent moves. we’ve just had a few that have really bit us in the ***. but you have to be aggressive and go after players you think can solidify the team, you also have to know when it’s time to cut your losses and get them the hell out

on the flip side we’ve also wasted a lot of high draft picks. hind sight is 20/20 but we’ve had some spectacular misses

Back
Top Bottom