:::OFFICIAL SNEAKER CARE/MAINTENANCE POST::: (It's back!)

I need help, don't really know 13s well, but can anybody tell me if these are legit?

How y'all clean the lining? My lebron 9 Easters need a cleaning but when i used the Jason markk brush it started to fray the lining.

Hey I just have a quick question about my grape 5s. I was wondering how can I get these small creases out of them? I wore the shoe about 3 times since release with a sneaker shield in them EVERY TIME and they have these small wrinkly creases in them how do I remove them? Any help is appreciated. Last but not least are the grape 5s quality just bad or is just my pair?

Last edited:
Hey I just have a quick question about my grape 5s. I was wondering how can I get these small creases out of them? I wore the shoe about 3 times since release with a sneaker shield in them EVERY TIME and they have these small wrinkly creases in them how do I remove them? Any help is appreciated. Last but not least are the grape 5s quality just bad or is just my pair?
Are the Sneaker Shields comfortable?  I would hate for them to not be and still get left unsatisfied with the results.

Anyway, that creasing is so minor.  No one is gonna notice that when you're walking by.  You really have to look close to even see that.  Doesn't look like it's going to cut much deeper than that.

Last edited:
Are the Sneaker Shields comfortable?  I would hate for them to not be and still get left unsatisfied with the results.

Anyway, that creasing is so minor.  No one is gonna notice that when you're walking by.  You really have to look close to even see that.  Doesn't look like it's going to cut much deeper than that.

Honestly as long as you wear them with your true to size sneaker size they won't be uncomfortable. And they last a long time I had them for about a good 7 months ill probably need some new ones in like 3 more months. And thanks for your input man your right there not that bad creae wise and we I put the sneaker shield and and wore them the creases arn't visible.

Last edited:
Honestly as long as you wear them with your true to size sneaker size they won't be uncomfortable. And they last a long time I had them for about a good 7 months ill probably need some new ones in like 3 more months. And thanks for your input man your right there not that bad creae wise and we I put the sneaker shield and and wore them the creases arn't visible.
I've been thinking about trying them out on some shoes I've never worn, but I'm afraid that on some shoes the crease will just get re-directed some place else on the shoe even worse.  I've seen that happen to some people, but I forget which shoe it was.

Last edited:
sneaker shields arent comfortable for me. it depends on what shoe you want to use it on. if it has a wide toe box then it will be more comfort, but a narrow toe box left my feet in pain. now i just throw on some insoles and it helps a little but the comfort is there

What have you guys found to be the best method of cleaning laces? Mainly white but I also am wondering what to do on my New Love yellow laces that are pretty dirty. For now I have black in and tried ordering a new set of yellow laces but the color wasn't what I was looking for

What have you guys found to be the best method of cleaning laces? Mainly white but I also am wondering what to do on my New Love yellow laces that are pretty dirty. For now I have black in and tried ordering a new set of yellow laces but the color wasn't what I was looking for
I just throw my laces in with the laundry. Works well for me

I just throw my laces in with the laundry. Works well for me

One would think this is the most effective method, but no. averagejoe23, get an empty plastic bottle, preferbly one with a wide mouth so you can easily stuff the laces in. Fill it with hot water and an old piece of bar soap. Just do this for colored laces, or you can add color safe bleach, but a cap full. If the laces are WHITE, add a cap full of bleach with the bar soap. Close the cap tight and shake the bottle vigorously. Leave the bottle overnight and empty it the next day. Rinse the laces thoroughly and let them dry.

For everyone who wants to clean your mesh on the 11s, I recently just bought a pair of Columbia 11s and the tongues were yellowish/dirty. I used both RIT and Bar keepers friend. Just need to wet the surface with water/soap then I used bar keepers friend to "clean" the surface a few times, maybe 5-6 times and letting it sit for awhile maybe 10-15min. Then after it dried I applied the RIT whitening about the same amount of times and letting it sit/dry. I got amazing results for my first time "restoring". Here are some pictures:

After:

All I did was read what people have done on this site/forum and everything works.
I did one "retro brite" treatment and the soles started to separate. I basically took them off and have been doing more treatments and I must say it def works. There almost back to a clear looking sole.

my brother's house burned from a fire last week.  we were able to salvage a few items from it. looking thru my nephew's closet, i found his DS pair of Jordan XIII HGGs.  bought these for him so he would have them when school starts back in the fall.

they only suffered smoke damage, but are pretty much flawless.  any tips on how to get rid of the smell (without putting them in a washer)??

Thanks everyone.

One would think this is the most effective method, but no. averagejoe23, get an empty plastic bottle, preferbly one with a wide mouth so you can easily stuff the laces in. Fill it with hot water and an old piece of bar soap. Just do this for colored laces, or you can add color safe bleach, but a cap full. If the laces are WHITE, add a cap full of bleach with the bar soap. Close the cap tight and shake the bottle vigorously. Leave the bottle overnight and empty it the next day. Rinse the laces thoroughly and let them dry.
i guess more drastic measures would be needed for more thoroughly soiled laces. good tip!

For everyone who wants to clean your mesh on the 11s, I recently just bought a pair of Columbia 11s and the tongues were yellowish/dirty. I used both RIT and Bar keepers friend. Just need to wet the surface with water/soap then I used bar keepers friend to "clean" the surface a few times, maybe 5-6 times and letting it sit for awhile maybe 10-15min. Then after it dried I applied the RIT whitening about the same amount of times and letting it sit/dry. I got amazing results for my first time "restoring". Here are some pictures:

After:

All I did was read what people have done on this site/forum and everything works.
I did one "retro brite" treatment and the soles started to separate. I basically took them off and have been doing more treatments and I must say it def works. There almost back to a clear looking sole.
The only thing I would do differently is not use barkeepers friend. Atleast not in powder form. I bought it to clean up my DMPs and Concords, but just for practice, I put it on my Concord 6 rings. And after scrubbing for a little i noticed that barkeepers friend takes that sheen/finish right off of the mesh. And changes the texture too, becomes a little more coarse. But they sure did brighten up a ton. I have found that RIT whitener and Brightener and also just regular laundry detergent also work just fine in cleaning mesh with out taking off the sheen of the mesh. 

The only thing I would do differently is not use barkeepers friend. Atleast not in powder form. I bought it to clean up my DMPs and Concords, but just for practice, I put it on my Concord 6 rings. And after scrubbing for a little i noticed that barkeepers friend takes that sheen/finish right off of the mesh. And changes the texture too, becomes a little more coarse. But they sure did brighten up a ton. I have found that RIT whitener and Brightener and also just regular laundry detergent also work just fine in cleaning mesh with out taking off the sheen of the mesh. 

I agree, the powder form is horrible, it was leaving behind yellow stains if you want to call it that. But the sheen and texture is perfect. Did t really have any problems. I used a tooth brush and a sponge and they turned out great. The bar keepers friend I only used because at the time the stains/yellowing looked bad/deep. It def cleaned them up real good ( I could only find the powder form of bar keepers). Then I started to use the powdered RIT and after 2 min I threw it out and found the liquid form and that worked 100% better.

After:

After:

Liquid BKF is the better option. Currently doing a project with my '00 Concords and it's a process. I think I wet the mesh too much then scrubbed, but it works. I'll post pics, my experiment, my setback and final results when the project is complete.

^^^^ Yes please do. I'll do the same with my Columbias. Have the soles off and doing retrobrite treatments after that need to glue them back on. Anyone have any good technics when glueing soles back on? I do little by little instead of one whole shot.

^^^^ Yes please do. I'll do the same with my Columbias. Have the soles off and doing retrobrite treatments after that need to glue them back on. Anyone have any good technics when glueing soles back on? I do little by little instead of one whole shot.

Whole shot. E6000 glue. Gorilla tape to clamp. My soles have seperated from my concords. I've been doing a light treatment of seaglow for the soles, as they weren't really that bad to begin with. I've been toying with how I would glue the soles back on. Doing the whole thing is the best bet. Make sure you glue the edges well so it sticks. When putting them back on you have to be careful they are in place due to the shape of the outsole. Seems easy but might be tricky if not done right.

Whole shot. E6000 glue. Gorilla tape to clamp. My soles have seperated from my concords. I've been doing a light treatment of seaglow for the soles, as they weren't really that bad to begin with. I've been toying with how I would glue the soles back on. Doing the whole thing is the best bet. Make sure you glue the edges well so it sticks. When putting them back on you have to be careful they are in place due to the shape of the outsole. Seems easy but might be tricky if not done right.

When I did my JAMS I did half and half. I used a ton of rubber bands, shoe laces , blue tape to hold together tightly. I just don't like the excess glue that comes out and dries. I found myself using a razor blade cutting away the excess glue and also slicing up my finger tips. But I'm just OCD like that. I though about making up a Jig for them and place them in it.

Thanks for the tips. I had a friend once who used bleach (maybe he did not dilute it) on his Concord Laces and it turned the tips yellow. Should that not be a problem?

Liquid BKF is the better option. Currently doing a project with my '00 Concords and it's a process. I think I wet the mesh too much then scrubbed, but it works. I'll post pics, my experiment, my setback and final results when the project is complete.
Looking forward to this fam! Currently have a DS pair of '00 Concords I want to whiten and tried but results weren't that great. Would love to hear how others do it. 

When I did my JAMS I did half and half. I used a ton of rubber bands, shoe laces , blue tape to hold together tightly. I just don't like the excess glue that comes out and dries. I found myself using a razor blade cutting away the excess glue and also slicing up my finger tips. But I'm just OCD like that. I though about making up a Jig for them and place them in it.

Your best bet is clamping with gorilla tape. I didn't even know they made tape specifically for that task until I bumped around and wound up on their website. Some lady was doing a demonstration with Gorilla glue and mentioned gorilla tape and using it as a clamp. I always though that using rubber bands would ruin the shoe because of the elasticity and they would snap after a while. I'll have more about how effective gorilla tape when I take the tape off my Total Foamposite Max's. I just glued them yesterday.

Thanks for the tips. I had a friend once who used bleach (maybe he did not dilute it) on his Concord Laces and it turned the tips yellow. Should that not be a problem?

He probably put too much bleach. You only need a little, like a cap full at the MOST

Has anyone tried doing the retrobright process from the inside of the clear sole?

Made the solution, tried it, to me it seems to have the same effect as seaglow, You have to do it a LOT to notice a difference. It's not a 1,2,3 process.

Back
Top Bottom