:::OFFICIAL SNEAKER CARE/MAINTENANCE POST::: (It's back!)

don’t know if I’m in the right thread. I’m looking to buy some 07 fire red 3’s and 06 fire red 4’s. are these pairs still wearable or are they starting to break down?
more than likely unwearable . 3's and 4's fall apart more quickly than any other shoes I have seen.

Your best bet is to find a preowned pair. Anything DS will fall apart first time you wear them. - Unless you want to put them on display or never wear them or touch them. Max lifespan Id say is usually 6-8 years. Some shoes are built better than others, and as someone said some guys store their shoes better than others. But 06-07 are well beyond their life span unless your prepared and looking to do sole swaps, and paint on them.

Issue is one of two things; First being the enviroment. I.e. shoes in humid areas like Georgia for instance will fall apart alot more quickly even with proper storage. Second is that the people who do know how to store shoes properly do not share their methods for whatever reason. They act as if it's their "secret sauce" or recipe (which is understandable). There is a ton of info on how to store shoes that is basically a test/trail. No guarantee that it will work. From what I have noticed, the guys that have figured it out dont share their methods - probably because of the amount of time and effort that went into it. Because storaging shoes is ALOT of work, time/care, and yes $$$$ . Its not a matter of just putting them on the shelf for 10 years. You have to still clean them, let them breathe, possibly buy equipment to help preserve them, and alot of other work that goes into it (which is why I stopped doing it). Even if you do A-Z , they could STILL fall apart. Basically it all boils down to science and the fight against it. As shoes will decompose and deteriorate. Its a fact - its just a matter of time and WHEN that happens.

Last edited:
Are DS CDP 16s still wearable? Just fully read the post above mine, but not sure if it applies to 16s because the midsole is different.

Are DS CDP 16s still wearable? Just fully read the post above mine, but not sure if it applies to 16s because the midsole is different.
2008.. Would be approaching thier max life span... Things youd need to worry about if you purchase are issues with glue coming apart, and the sole. Anything with foam midsoles will crumble. Your better off with rubber midsoles. I dont think you will need to worry too much with paint chipping. However it may need a new sole or midsole depending on the material. I never had a pair of 16s in hand so I am not too sure on it's construction.

Since its 2018 now, Id say your safe with amy DS shoe dating back to 2012. 2011 will be okay. Anything prior to 2010 youll want to know how the shoe is made and do research (anything with air bubbles or foam midsoles will be what youll want to avoid unless it is Preowned or you want to restore them. Everything else will be a toss up). Good thing about preowned shoes is they have already been worn and will lasy longer since some materials in the shoes are either pressure sensitive or need heat to be broken in and activated. Its not the uppers you need to worry about (unless its durabuck which will crack), its the midsoles and shoe adhesives that cause 85% of the problems with older shoes.

A protip I tell everyone, is to break in your DS shoes. If you want them to last, they need to be near DS , and not fully DS. Another is that you also you need to do maintenance wearing on your older shoes. (at the end of the day whether you keep or resell in 12 years, whats better a near DS shoe that is wearable or a DS shoe that will fall apart on its first wear. Air bubbled shoes are the absolute worse. That air bubble is a ticking timebomb for when it will cloud up completely or burst/deflate. If an air bubble is completely clouded, it is a sign that it is no longer wearable.

Need to get these icy and glued any advise? Or who can get them done?
AF732862-478A-4EC4-951B-A091CB0DA4E3.jpeg

Need to get these icy and glued any advise? Or who can get them done?
AF732862-478A-4EC4-951B-A091CB0DA4E3.jpeg
salon care 40. look up instructions on youtube. or dye the soles light blue.

(do the salon care 40 befor you glue with barge cement. the method for use will pretty much destroy glue on your soles if you dont take precautions)

Last edited:
Can anyone recommend a household cleaner to clean white mesh uppers? (Like the uppers on a Jordan 11)? I'm being lazy and don't want to drive to the mall to grab some cleaner. lol Would be greatly appreciated and I can learn a thing or two.

Hi gang,

I hope you can help me out i thought I could get my GF's airmax 1 (2009) a bit cleaner. But after cleaning and the wasmachine I notice a cracks and lose glue. Any tips how to fix these/prevent them from getting worse?

IMG_1979.JPG

IMG_1980.JPG

What’s a good solution to use besides buying Jason Markk or Crep a do it yourself or store bought method. An all purpose cleaning material or something.

Can anyone recommend a household cleaner to clean white mesh uppers? (Like the uppers on a Jordan 11)? I'm being lazy and don't want to drive to the mall to grab some cleaner. lol Would be greatly appreciated and I can learn a thing or two.

laundry detergent. the best is oxiclean. If you use either, personally I would dilute it with warm water.. And then all you need is a tooth brush if you dont have a brush.

White wine vingear does wonders but I personally cant stand the smell

Last edited:
What’s a good solution to use besides buying Jason Markk or Crep a do it yourself or store bought method. An all purpose cleaning material or something.
Laundry Detergent diluted with Warm Water and brush has been the method for quite some time before JM or Crepe. I wouldnt be suprised if their formula is based off this.

However cleaning depends on the material your cleaning. For leather and mesh or anything beside suede - Id use it.

Midsoles you need a rubber/gum eraser. It will remove all the scuffs and whiten up foam midsoles.

For shoe soles and icey soles I use windex.

Hi gang,

I hope you can help me out i thought I could get my GF's airmax 1 (2009) a bit cleaner. But after cleaning and the wasmachine I notice a cracks and lose glue. Any tips how to fix these/prevent them from getting worse?

IMG_1979.JPG

IMG_1980.JPG
I wouldnt have used the washing machine.... :/. Id never use a washine machine ever to clean my shoes (although some may disagree).

A suede brush and suede eraser does wonders. Id start researching this thread on how to clean shoes. Thats how I learned.

Invest in some shoe brushes, learn what materials they are good for. Get a suede eraser, and a gum eraser. This is really all you need.

Otherwise if you dont have time, the best product imo to use to clean shoes would be Kiwi Spray Cleaners. Get the cleaner bottle and the sealant bottle. Place the shoes outside. Clean them with the brush and eraser first. Then spray the shoes. Let them dry outside, dont brush them while they are wet. Once dry, you can repeat the process a couple times if there are tough marks..

If they are really beat up and dirty - get a bottle of jason mark. However use with risk. What I have noticed is Jason Mark can ruin suede shoes. Youve got to be sonewhat ultra careful since it can literally clean the color off the suede.

** To fix the damage you have done by throwing them in the washing machine. Grab brown tissue paper or clean socks, stuff the toe boxes to reshape them. This method will reshape toe boxes safely, but you cant wear them for a while. For the spots where glue is coming off , barge cement or glue - but apply it with a q tip and be prepared to wipe off the excess quickly. As far as rubber crack on the bottom of the sole, you could use shoe goo - but honestly at that stage I throw my own shoes away because your socks will get wet in the rain. When it comes to shoes cleaning or shoe preserving - WATER is not your friend.

Last edited:
Any tips on cleaning and protecting wheat timbs?
Sealant spray (Kiwi) or if you want to save money get it from New Balance.

Brand new shoes are easier to keep clean as opposed to cleaning them when they get dirty. The sealant spray helps from keeping dirt from gettin in.

For timbs, suede, nubuck - spot up or weekly cleaning all you need is a suede brush and a suede eraser.

For monthly or periodic cleaning get the Kiwi Suede Cleaner spray. Spray the shoes - do not use the brush or any brush on them. The spray dissolves alot of the dirt and then just let them dry. Once dry you can repeat the process or suede eraser on them. But before spraying, Id brush them off first with a suede brush.

Id use JM or any water based cleaner as a last ditch resort if the method above doesnt work. But with suede, applying the sealant spray when they are new will make cleaning stains so much easier as the suede wont soak/absorb in the moisture of the dirt or stains (because thats what ideally creates tough to clean stains.). Id apply the sealing spray every few months if your wearing the shoes regularily.

If the suede is super high quality, then I may skip sealing them. But once I start to clean them, Ill apply it on. (my personal preference)

Last edited:
Any advice on fixing gouges on the midsole? Sneaker is Kobe 1 Protro. Thanks!
3E59F77D-E1E3-4C3D-B801-F7F070CA0AF6.JPG
I havent figured out a method to fix this other than swapping the midsole. Happens to me too. Best thing I can say it becareful so that this doesnt happen. And its one of those things nobody is going to notice when your wearing them other than you..

If the gouge is deep, Ill try to smooth it out by carefully cutting the edges with a scissor or razor. But you need to be super careful when doing it. Its one of those issues that may and has a high risk getting worse the more you try to fiddle with it or fix it.

Bored on a Saturday night, about to Sauce these Beauties. Literally haven’t been outta the box in 5-6 yrs. I’m gonna take my time and do 1 shoe at a time. Haven’t iced any soles in a few yrs.
59A6653B-CCA2-4DA5-BF16-554B16FFFE61.jpeg
A62B5277-79C2-474D-81A5-AE78E338D9EE.jpeg
What sauce do you use?

They are looking good. Can you post pics in natural light when you are done? I just got 2 DS pairs of 2000 Jams I wanna clear up.

N
They are looking good. Can you post pics in natural light when you are done? I just got 2 DS pairs of 2000 Jams I wanna clear up.
No problem just finished up the right shoe this morning gonna start on the left tonight probably. Trying something different and doing 1 shoe at a time seeing if I get better overall results.

Back
Top Bottom