:::OFFICIAL SNEAKER CARE/MAINTENANCE POST::: (It's back!)

How difficult is it to do a repaint on the midsole of bred IV's? I have a pair of 2012's that have only been worn a couple of times and the black paint has peeled from the midsole in places. Or do you guys have a suggestion on who I can send them to to have them redone?

How difficult is it to do a repaint on the midsole of bred IV's? I have a pair of 2012's that have only been worn a couple of times and the black paint has peeled from the midsole in places. Or do you guys have a suggestion on who I can send them to to have them redone?
look up on youtube videos. try searching "angelus paint midsoles". not that hard but you will need to prep the shoes and remove the existing paint since you wont want there to be multiple layers of paint.

if paint is already chipping, a touch up will just complicate things ( you dont want new paint on top of old paint, it will chip even worse). your better off repainting the entire midsole.you can use acetone to wipe down the paint and prep the surface. angelus paint and a brush to apply. youll want to mark off areas with masking tape or painter tape. It shouldnt be too difficult, maybe practice on a beater pair first.

imo Id do it myself. I dont trust sending shoes to someone else unless I know them well. Or Id take it into a local shoe repair. You may never see them again...

I recently bought a pair of Air Jordan 3 Quai 54's and i was wondering if anyone has any info on materials used on this sneaker and any idea how to clean them, since i'm afraid to use crep cure to clean them because if someone had these and knows how to clean them let me know :rofl:

I recently bought a pair of Air Jordan 3 Quai 54's and i was wondering if anyone has any info on materials used on this sneaker and any idea how to clean them, since i'm afraid to use crep cure to clean them because if someone had these and knows how to clean them let me know :rofl:
I wouldnt clean them very often. Best advice is to use a spray cleaner. Personally I never have used crepe, and dont trust JM.. I always have stuck to cleaning my shoes , even before these products were created - with Kiwi spray cleaner. Basically spray them (then dont touch or brush them and let them dry), there us something in the spray that dissolves stains.. Youll want to use it outside since the stuff is pretty toxic. But with materials like that and elephant print (i.e. flip 3s and 5s) and any thing with supple/butter leather or suede basically I really dont ever touch them unless I need to. If you sense that cleaning or fiddling with it will mess up your shoes or if the material is fragile/supple, my best advice is to leave it alone, (listen to your gut).

A shoe with some character is always better than a shoe damaged by cleaning products... I.e. I used JM on my Concept Tannery 998s for a tiny black mark on the toe box (shoes were DS), the product basically cleaned the colored dye right off the shoe. So it went from lt green to grey. I learned an important lesson that day. I trust the Kiwi spray cleaner more than anything else, even though its 8-12 dollars a bottle.

Reactions: duu
I wouldnt clean them very often. Best advice is to use a spray cleaner. Personally I never have used crepe, and dont trust JM.. I always have stuck to cleaning my shoes , even before these products were created - with Kiwi spray cleaner. Basically spray them (then dont touch or brush them and let them dry), there us something in the spray that dissolves stains.. Youll want to use it outside since the stuff is pretty toxic. But with materials like that and elephant print (i.e. flip 3s and 5s) and any thing with supple/butter leather or suede basically I really dont ever touch them unless I need to. If you sense that cleaning or fiddling with it will mess up your shoes or if the material is fragile/supple, my best advice is to leave it alone, (listen to your gut).

A shoe with some character is always better than a shoe damaged by cleaning products... I.e. I used JM on my Concept Tannery 998s for a tiny black mark on the toe box (shoes were DS), the product basically cleaned the colored dye right off the shoe. So it went from lt green to grey. I learned an important lesson that day. I trust the Kiwi spray cleaner more than anything else, even though its 8-12 dollars a bottle.

Thank you very much for your reply, they were worn only a couple of times but they got a bit dirty and the upper is not as soft and shiny as it was and i want to clean them but i can't seem to find what kind of materials they are made of, so i was wondering if maybe you could tell me if these are genuine suede so i can protect or clean them with suede based products :rofl:

It's rare that I clean my shoes, and when I do, I use Jason Markk. I've got a pair of Shattered Backboard 1s that could use some cleaning. Looked through the thread and didn't find much. Any recommendations on how to clean them up? I think I've read that damage can be irreversible depending on what I use. Thanks in advance!

It's rare that I clean my shoes, and when I do, I use Jason Markk. I've got a pair of Shattered Backboard 1s that could use some cleaning. Looked through the thread and didn't find much. Any recommendations on how to clean them up? I think I've read that damage can be irreversible depending on what I use. Thanks in advance!

When you protect jordan ones i know for sure that when you use crep protect spray you should spray it from some distance away or you risk leaving white stains on your shoes that are very hard to get rid of, as for the cleaning i would say it is safe to clean them with jason markk just dont push it too much with the brush or you risk damaging or abrasing the leather be gentle and they should be just fine just dont keep the leather wet or moist because it creases like hell that way, hope my answer helped you :rofl:

If its leather, and the stains are tough its okay to use JM for touchup cleaning. I wouldnt use JM for suede, keep it far away from suede unless you have a stubborn stain and have tried everything else (at that point it may ruin your shoes so its a last ditch effort and a gamble. If you really want to use JM on suede , do it on gray suede or white/cream. Avoid at all costs on using it on dyed/colored suede i.e. curry colored suede, navy, or blacks. Only suede shoes that have responded well to JM have been gray colored ones..).

JM is best for mesh, fabrics, and synthetic materials , imo.

For Suede/Nubuck - go with a spray cleaner. Brands dont matter, they are all mostly the same. The cheapest I have found is the one New Balance makes. Everyone will have their own preference, some like Crepe.. I personally prefer Kiwi.

For sealers - I personally never use them on leather shoes. Only shoes that have suede. Leather is much easier to care for than the other materials like fabrics, mesh, synthetics, suede, nubucks and etc. But Leathers need more maintenance care than those above. Leather ages well if you take care of it. Otherwise leather dries out and gets damaged. The key is keeping leather moist (however for storing leather shoes youll want to do the opposite which is why imo Leather shoes will be harder to preserve as DS than lets say mesh or suede shoes. Leather shoes age well if you use them occassionaly. In my experience DS Leather shoes do not store or age well)

Personally, I either use leather cleaner (which downside is that its expensive. the cheaper products dont work well). Or if im just doing weekly cleaning - Ive discovered a product that works extremely well for good leathers (do not use on suede or nubuck - however if you get it on suede by accident once it dries off it wont leave any marks.). Its in the household cleaner aisle, ita called EnDust. It comes in a yellow bottle. Of course Im not using it for what its intended for, but I use it on most of my leather shoes including dress shoes, briefcases, and leather wallets.. It is SAFE to use on any leather, as long as the leather is high quality or real/non synthetic.

It has an oil in it that keeps leather lubricated and also will apply a shine on leather. Also it repels water to a degree, and repels dust and dirt. Its intended use is for furniture, i.e. tables, sofas, and etc. I find that it only works well on real and highquality leathers. I spray a small amount first on a microfiber towel, then apply it on the shoes. A little goes a long way... It will clean mild to medium stains, its my goto cleaner unless I am doing a full cleaning of which Ill opt to use leather cleaner and leather conditioner. If you apply it and dont like the "shine" effect it gives off, then you can use a clean microfiber towel and rub at it to dull it out.

Of course if you dont feel safe trying it out for yourself, there are alot of options now a days (crepe, JM, and leather cleaners etc). If you want to try it but have doubts, use it on a pair of beaters and see for yourself. It is safe to use, and you dont have to worry about it leaving stains and etc. I also use it on my midsoles (it is safe on paint), since some cleaners if rubbed into midsoles can strip the color out of them. OR another cleaner I use to use before I discovered EnDust was the Amorall leather car wipes.

Awesome thing about it, is it repels dirt and dust which lasts quite a while. Ive been doing this for quite some time, so I am not making this up.. Its one of those things, Ive discovered over the years through alot of trail and error before brands like JM , Crepe, and others came out... I stopped using the car leather wipes, because I didnt like how it made the leather look afterwards (its hard to describe but at first leather looked great but then after it wore off it would really dry out the leather.. And the clean look would wear off too quickly) on higher quality leathers..

Last edited:
Any recommendations on cleaning Jordan XI soles? I want to keep the soles blue as long as possible, and I know water speeds up the oxidation. I’ll be wearing them somewhat regularly.

I have a very small rubber separation on one of my kicks and other than Barge what’s the next best thing to use? Tried checking some pages but couldn’t see the answer to my question. We don’t have Barge in our city and don’t want to buy such a big van for a very small repair. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Any recommendations on cleaning Jordan XI soles? I want to keep the soles blue as long as possible, and I know water speeds up the oxidation. I’ll be wearing them somewhat regularly.
clean them after every wear with blue windex. been doing this since 2010, and it really does keep them icey for longer.

Or you can get sole protectors. But be prepared to slip and slide all over the place with those.

I have a very small rubber separation on one of my kicks and other than Barge what’s the next best thing to use? Tried checking some pages but couldn’t see the answer to my question. We don’t have Barge in our city and don’t want to buy such a big van for a very small repair. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Shoe goo works well... You could try super glue. But there is a reason that over time barge cement is recommended. It just works better , lasts longer, and its always nice to have some on hand.

Keep in mind some glued need heat to be activated. Use a q tip to apply. Quickly wipe off excess or tape up the shoes otherwise youll be dealing with a gluey mess.

I just purchased a pair Royal 1s from last year and after three wears the dye seems to be bleeding onto the toe.

Tried rubbing alcohol and it didn’t work.

clean them after every wear with blue windex. been doing this since 2010, and it really does keep them icey for longer.

Or you can get sole protectors. But be prepared to slip and slide all over the place with those.

Thanks for answering, I will try using windex.

Not really interested in the sole protectors, I don’t like how they look.

I make my own with 40 volume and oxy clean
I went to the local Tap plastic and bought Island girl sea glow. Have you used that before? Did you use scotch brite pad to get the sauce in or an old tooth brush. I plan on doing my concords and spacejams soon, and was wondering which method or solution is more effective.

Last edited:
I just purchased a pair Royal 1s from last year and after three wears the dye seems to be bleeding onto the toe.

Tried rubbing alcohol and it didn’t work.

If you're talking about the spot near the 1st lace hole, I think that's normal for 1s. At least it is for me, it eventually develops on any pair if I wear them frequently enough.

If you're talking about the spot near the 1st lace hole, I think that's normal for 1s. At least it is for me, it eventually develops on any pair if I wear them frequently enough.

this is true. i have that on my royals too and i wear them alot. i copped some royal blue angus paint, but too lazy to paint over that spot lol

Is there any way of fixing crack suede in Bordeaux 7s ?
no.. when durabuck starts cracking, its pretty much over. Ive been trying to experiment a fix for myself. Durabuck isnt like leather.

It dries out very quickly then starts cracking and sometimes peeling. (Leather and Suede can do that too but typically takes alot longer for that to happen). Id say max life on Durabuck is roughly 5-7 years to when they become unwearable.

Technically what happens is the material is drying out. Ive tried adding moisture back into the durbuck that does prevent cracking but my fix isnt anything longterm. It wears away quickly. I am working on a fix.

Last edited:
I used sole bright
It's tough as I live in the Pacific Northwest and we don't get a lot of sunny days here so it's slow going, but getting there:
DS 2000 Space Jams
Before and after (so far)
IMG_20181127_110748.jpg
IMG_20181202_144512.jpg
IMG_20181127_110805__01.jpg
IMG_20181202_144606.jpg

Thank you very much for your reply, they were worn only a couple of times but they got a bit dirty and the upper is not as soft and shiny as it was and i want to clean them but i can't seem to find what kind of materials they are made of, so i was wondering if maybe you could tell me if these are genuine suede so i can protect or clean them with suede based products :rofl:

Imo, they are suede, durabuck, or synthetic (material on the toebox). But its like a wrinkled suede that is made to looks like leather. I say its suede because it has a nap to it however my money is always on that it is sythentic now a days. It could also be durabuck, having looked closely at them. Thats what I thought at initially.

But it is a nice material, imo. Id be careful with cleaning as black suede imo, is very tricky. If it were me, I wouldnt be using a suede eraser on them for regular cleaning based on a) the color and b) the unique material.

Id be using a spray cleaner on it. The material really doesnt need a sealant but thats your call. It should not stain easily.

I would spray them first (then dont touch the shoes let the spray dissolve the stains if any and dry). I would use the eraser as a last resort on a stain or water marks if they get wet.

Black suede/durabuck can be tricky. As black suede can turn into ashy suede pretty quickly depending on how well they dyed the suede. Since the dye can come off with an eraser if you rub too hard. If you are going to use JM or suede eraser test it first.

But it really is one of those shoes Id rarely clean. They really dont/wont need it unless they are stained. With unique materials, I dont touch em..

The spray cleaners should be safe to use on durbucks, nubucks, and suede of all colors (so long as you dont rub, scrub, or fiddle with them until they dry). So Id stick to that if you need to clean.

Last edited:
Any tips on keeping the soles of concord 11’s clean? I’m copping them on December 8th and just want to know what i can do to keep the soles from yellowing too much, and if so how to keep them somewhat Iceh

Is there any way to remove scuffs from Patent leather on the 11s?
I just got the new 2018 concords yesterday, and on the toe there's a tiny scuff.
It's not a huge scuff, but just curious if there's any way to remove it

2zs7ak2.jpg

I just picked up the concord XI’s and want to water proof the, before I wear them so the white mesh doesn’t get as dirty. Any negative effects of this? Will use basic scotch guard spray.

Back
Top Bottom