:::OFFICIAL SNEAKER CARE/MAINTENANCE POST::: (It's back!)

I just picked up the concord XI’s and want to water proof the, before I wear them so the white mesh doesn’t get as dirty. Any negative effects of this? Will use basic scotch guard spray.
Don’t get it on the patent leather, it may leave a layer of film. And it could give the mesh a yellow hue, but I don’t know that for certain

I just picked up the concord XI’s and want to water proof the, before I wear them so the white mesh doesn’t get as dirty. Any negative effects of this? Will use basic scotch guard spray.
i wouldnt bother. waterproofing spray is only safe to use on white items otherwise it leaves a whiteish film on most colored items. And the actual spray will chip and flake off. white mesh is not hard to clean and keep clean, just stay on top of it. Some oxiclean diluted in water and a toothbrush will do you wonders.

Plus the waterproofing spray wears off quite quickly. Its not worth the hassle.

Just got some Jason Mark cleaner at a gift exchange. Anyone wanna share their experiences with it? I believe I heard somewhere where it caused some bleeding or whatnot. How does it compare to Reshoevn8r? Thanks in advance.

Just got some Jason Mark cleaner at a gift exchange. Anyone wanna share their experiences with it? I believe I heard somewhere where it caused some bleeding or whatnot. How does it compare to Reshoevn8r? Thanks in advance.

Nothing but bad experiences on my end. I no longer trust any water based cleaners. Stick with sprays, my two cents.

Thanks. Care to elaborate a little on some of your experiences?

Basically Id keep them away from suede. I had issues ranging from fading the color of suede, changing the texture of the Suede (from butter suede to a rough suede) , and to even washing the color off suede.

Plus they leave a wierd film on the suede that you have to brush off with a tough bristol brush (a suede brush wont cut it, its too soft to remove the wierd film), it damaged a pair of my beater pair of Milano AM 90s. JM also damaged Jcrew Hilltop 998s, 999 Seals, AJ 14 Laney Lows, 998 Tannery Concepts, and Distinct Author 997s.. Luckily it damaged pairs that I was wearing and beating into the ground so it didnt upset me too much. But JM definately lessened the lifespan of those pairs as the damage was irreversible.

It was a toss up, some shoes it was fine with but completely unpredictable to the shoes it damaged. I could not figure out why or put my finger on it, so I quit using it altogether. My success rate was about 30% to the shoes I was able to clean and not damage using JM. Mostly because I owned alot of suede shoes, btw (It was better on synthetic suedes as opposed to real suede or nubuck).

Id feel it would be safe on Leather or mesh, but there are better cleaning options in both of those cases.

Use them on a pair of suede shoes you really dont care for, or in general any shoe to get a feel for what it does and how it affects different materials. Id be cautious using any water based cleaner on shoes. I went against my skepticism when I bought that bottle of JM since I was tired of the toxic smell of the spray cleaners and of having to spray the shoes outside in the patio (lesson learned the hard way...)

Personally I sware and would bet my Life on Kiwi Suede Spray. Ive also heard great things about Angelus cleaning products as well. But any spray cleaner should be about the same. Never had an issue with Spray cleaners , but when you spray the shoes and they are wet (do not try to brush them or touch them.. Pro Tip...: Let the spray dry completely before you brush them... Id brush them off with a suede brush prior to spraying.. The spray dissolves the stain on its own, so dont fiddle with it while it is wet from the spray/chemicals. Atleast in those instances, I am okay with taking responsibility of damaging my own shoes but I am not cool with the product actually causing damage.. I followed the JM instructions to the T, since they made instructional videos on cleaning suede with JM, even bought the JM brushes and JM towel as a precaution.).

Last edited:
feelingood feelingood appreciate the info man. I have some 2000 Concords that I really want to restore and foresee the white mesh being a pain. What product and/or method would you recommend to whiten the mesh on these?
95538353-1CB5-474C-A20B-118E2A0E543C.jpeg

feelingood feelingood appreciate the info man. I have some 2000 Concords that I really want to restore and foresee the white mesh being a pain. What product and/or method would you recommend to whiten the mesh on these?
95538353-1CB5-474C-A20B-118E2A0E543C.jpeg
oxiclean diluted in warm water and a clean toothbrush. for scratches on patent leather, use rubbing alcohol. Glue, use cement barge. You can use salon 40 creme to ice the soles or get some blue rit dye and dilute it to literally dye the soles light blue...

Take a peep at Angelus Products. They have alot of shoe restoration items, cleaners, paint. Id trust their cleaners over JM anyday. For a full blown restoration, Id pick up some items from Angelus although oxiclean will work as well - its really which ever you feel best about.

Last edited:
Hmm that's weird. I actually like jm for the smell compared to reshoevn8r.

I used to use dish soap (don't know how bad that is) then I started using jm.

You said Angelus was good? I used their green bottle of cleaner, it was straight. If you were referring to that product, why do you think Angelus' cleaning product is better than jm?

oxiclean diluted in warm water and a clean toothbrush. for scratches on patent leather, use rubbing alcohol. Glue, use cement barge. You can use salon 40 creme to ice the soles or get some blue rit dye and dilute it to literally dye the soles light blue...

Take a peep at Angelus Products. They have alot of shoe restoration items, cleaners, paint. Id trust their cleaners over JM anyday. For a full blown restoration, Id pick up some items from Angelus although oxiclean will work as well - its really which ever you feel best about.

Hmm that's weird. I actually like jm for the smell compared to reshoevn8r.

I used to use dish soap (don't know how bad that is) then I started using jm.

You said Angelus was good? I used their green bottle of cleaner, it was straight. If you were referring to that product, why do you think Angelus' cleaning product is better than jm?
I mentioned it in one of the posts above regarding my experiences with JM... JM can damage certain materials.

Angelus has different cleaners depending on materials and strengths. I.e. Leather cleaners, suede cleaners and etc. Id trust a specific type of cleaner before an all purposr cleaner.

My gut tells me that its just diluted laundry detergent. Dish soap can cause damage on most materials (some can even remove dye/color on fabrics)- I would use it if I am cleaning oil stains (it is amazing for oil stains on clothes, shoes or etc).

Last edited:
Might’ve already been asked, but what are y’all using to clean the soles on your Concord 11s without speeding up the yellowing?

I may have missed it but have you guys found a solid protector for the suede on the Yellow Ochre 1's???

Has anybody had this type of issue with Metallic Silver 5’s? It’s probably related to what I was using to prevent creases, but I was wondering if there was a general issue with the 2011 release.

A9FF4078-ABC8-4694-A0E6-5D1E71C6B701.jpeg

Has anybody had this type of issue with Metallic Silver 5’s? It’s probably related to what I was using to prevent creases, but I was wondering if there was a general issue with the 2011 release.

A9FF4078-ABC8-4694-A0E6-5D1E71C6B701.jpeg
Durabuck cracks. Max life age on durabuck I have found is to be 6-8 years (varys on where you live and how well you take care of your kicks otherwise it can be as little as 5 years.). So that matches up with my own experiences. Durabuck unlike suede is one of the worst materials to try to store or make it last.

Over time it dries out and cracks. For making shoes last you usually want to keep them away from moisture which goes in opposite with how Durabuck reacts over time.

Personally , Id say you got excellent mileage with them (durabuck).. I can already tell you take flawless care of your kicks.

Dont beat yourself up about it. My advice is to wear all your durabuck shoes or sell them before they eventually (and its a matter of time until they) crack or peel off like that

Last edited:
I may have missed it but have you guys found a solid protector for the suede on the Yellow Ochre 1's???
Use any type of suede protector. I usually stick with Kiwi, unless the suede is extra butter or high quality of which Ill spray the first time I clean.

Durabuck cracks. Max life age on durabuck I have found is to be 6-8 years (varys on where you live and how well you take care of your kicks otherwise it can be as little as 5 years.). So that matches up with my own experiences. Durabuck unlike suede is one of the worst materials to try to store or make it last.

Over time it dries out and cracks. For making shoes last you usually want to keep them away from moisture which goes in opposite with how Durabuck reacts over time.

Personally , Id say you got excellent mileage with them (durabuck).. I can already tell you take flawless care of your kicks.

Dont beat yourself up about it. My advice is to wear all your durabuck shoes or sell them before they eventually (and its a matter of time until they) crack or peel off like that

Thanks for the reply. At first I thought it was due to these homemade sneaker shields I was using, but your explanation makes sense. Makes me wondering what the “dura” stands for, because it damn sure isn’t short for “durable”.

I guess the 07’s used suede or nubuck, since those haven’t cracked.

Sounds like you would need to condition durabuck like it was leather, if you wanted to make it last.

The 2011 pair (the iteration in question here) was nubuck.

Durabuck, nubuck and suede can all crack and wear like that over time if not properly maintained. They will dry and rot out eventually if never conditioned. Any suede conditioner with a decent rating on amazon will help prevent this from happening. Once it cracks like that there isn't a good option to repair that wont be noticeable, sucks.

The 2011 pair (the iteration in question here) was nubuck.
From the pics it doesnt look like nubuck/suede - so I assumed it was durabuck, especially from the damage (i.e. it peeling off like that) . Suede/Nubuck usually isnt a thin layer or coating or bubble up/ peel off like that..Id suspect a synthetic nubuck which would follow the same properties as Durabuck (synthetic leathers and suede)

Luckily real Suede and Nubuck lasts alot longer but just like homie said above, Leathers (suede, nubuck, full grain) are living materials ans can rot/good bad. But they dont peel like film like that. And you should condition your leathers from drying out but from experience once sythentics crack there is no fix. The whole thing is bound to crack.

I have discovered a temp fix to keep then from getting worse (but its not practical and wears off too quickly- maybe one wear at best), but am working on a long term one.

Real materials are so much easier to work with, fix, and mantain but then we fall into JB plot line. They want the shoes to fall apart so we buy them again in 5/6 years while at the same token they save money from using cheaper materials. And caring for sythentics as if they are real materials still produces the same end result (just a waste of effort and time, really).

That same issue you got , I have gotten on my durabuck and "sythetic suede" shoes in the past. Suede will crack like that as well but its rare (depending on the quality of suede of course). Nubuck and grained leathers are suspectible to rot and mold. So you gotta keep them either in a dry enviroment or a properly humidity controlled environment (i.e. storage, humidifiers, etc).

Either way, Rock them as a your beaters now. What happened, is normal. Its what will happen , just a matter of time. And that time is what we are all trying to manipulated, i.e. the purpose of this entire thread. Sometimes that time can be longer or shorter depending on (how well you take carw of your shoes, your environment, and the actual shoe in question). Now that youve seen this, it is bound to get worse. Given they are from 2011, they are reaching the end of their lifespan anyhow. Id be more worried about the midsole at this stage.

If anybody is reading this and you have alot of shoes, I would be checking al your shoes every few months, pulling them out of their boxes, bags or however you storing them, inspecting them, and doing maintenance wears. Issues are easier to catch in their earlier stages and avoid as opposed to fix/repair.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. At first I thought it was due to these homemade sneaker shields I was using, but your explanation makes sense. Makes me wondering what the “dura” stands for, because it damn sure isn’t short for “durable”.

I guess the 07’s used suede or nubuck, since those haven’t cracked.

Sounds like you would need to condition durabuck like it was leather, if you wanted to make it last.
Anytime, man. Sadly durabuck acts differently than suede/nubuck. It cant really be "re-moisturized". Durabuck is the term Nike trademarked for their "fake leather/suede" they invented back in the 1990s. Lol, it was suppose to be more Durable than real leather and suede. Also its more pleasing present off Fake Leather as "Durauck" than saying it is Fake Leather or Synthetic. Alot of OG Jordans were made with Durabuck.

On a sidenote, I laugh my *** off when alot of the OG heads say that the particuliar retro is suede or complain about a shoe NOT being durabuck like the OG. Durabuck was first used on the OG 5's if Im not mistaken, but it was definately used on the OG Infrared 6 (1991).

Sadly with synthetics, you can take care of them the same way you do for real materials (but most of the time its just a waste of time and they still fall apart).

Hence, NIKE/ JBs plotline. They want us to rebuy that shoe every 6 years by making them fall apart quicker (and saving money at the same time).

Last edited:
Yo how many times do I have to re paint Jordan 3 mid soles?

I literally put like 4-6 coats and after 1 time of wearing them an area of paint cracks all off.

I even use that finisher on them.

Do I have to put like 10 or more coats or something?

Back
Top Bottom