:::OFFICIAL SNEAKER CARE/MAINTENANCE POST::: (It's back!)

Arrived hone last night to a disaster. Construction crew was filling the interior walls of my apartment building with new insulation.

They busted through one of the walls in my closet and filled the whole closet with dust and insulation.

They cleaned it all up and vacuumed the majority out of my shoes (you can see the 4s are FULL of insulation) but there is still some left behind and it really shows on black nubuck.

Best way to clean these back to good condition? Planning on grabbing a can of compressed air but anything else that will do the trick?

Attachments

• 9E8614D4-829E-4983-BDDA-5A2366A2A6E7.jpeg
    9E8614D4-829E-4983-BDDA-5A2366A2A6E7.jpeg
    491.1 KB · Views: 39
  • 5CEE4DEE-C181-439C-89BF-222ECBB68C43.jpeg
    5CEE4DEE-C181-439C-89BF-222ECBB68C43.jpeg
    349.9 KB · Views: 32
  • 8C9687DB-1F09-4074-89C9-C8D177F18292.jpeg
    8C9687DB-1F09-4074-89C9-C8D177F18292.jpeg
    402.9 KB · Views: 33
  • 4026C606-CA68-4622-8193-578EBC72FA90.jpeg
    4026C606-CA68-4622-8193-578EBC72FA90.jpeg
    352.2 KB · Views: 31
yeah Ive heard of the skin lotion method as well. personally Id try it out on a small part of the shoe or a beater pair of 11s if you got one. Ive heard of people swaring that this method works.. Would I use it on my dress shoes, hell no. On my sneakers, why not.

the simplest - water and a rag.. use a non lint rag.. like an old t shirt thats clean.. Wet the rag, get the p leather a little wet. then with a dry rag/towel, dry em off. Then applying a small amt of skin lotion on the rag.. a little goes a long way. Thats what Ive heard.

you could use amorall cleaner (the one for inside your car as its safer on plastic)..

Your on the right track but tire wipes sounds off to me, not saying it wont work since its made for rubber..

I used the lotion method, and it worked pretty good to get them to shine. I guess the patent leather was just ashy lol

This scuff on the toe box though, Rubbing alcohol didn't get it off.
Like I know they're just shoes, but I barley even wore these. 3 times maybe. Ugly scuff on the toe box.
Makes me want 11s less now

244wkki.jpg

I used the lotion method, and it worked pretty good to get them to shine. I guess the patent leather was just ashy lol

Like I know they're just shoes, but I barley even wore these. 3 times maybe. Ugly scuff on the toe box.

244wkki.jpg

Its not that you shouldn't like 11s, but not all shoes are made the same.. Some models have better quality and materials, while others are like playing a lottery to see if you got a good pair. While some shoes are harder to maintain than others.. It happens..

Thats a tough scuff.. You need a qtip and your girls nail polish remover.. Was hopin the rubbing alcohol would do the trick..

Arrived hone last night to a disaster. Construction crew was filling the interior walls of my apartment building with new insulation.

They busted through one of the walls in my closet and filled the whole closet with dust and insulation.

They cleaned it all up and vacuumed the majority out of my shoes (you can see the 4s are FULL of insulation) but there is still some left behind and it really shows on black nubuck.

Best way to clean these back to good condition? Planning on grabbing a can of compressed air but anything else that will do the trick?

Damnit man. Id shake them off as best you can outside.. Since brushing will rub the white into the shoes more. Then id spray them with nubuck cleaner.. Let it dry, don't brush. After it dries I'd attempt to either brush them with a super soft brush , e.g. Horsehair. or I'd spray them again depending on the results... Don't bum out, this is fixable.

244wkki.jpg

Usually rubbing alcohol works on minor scuffs.. But for tough scuffs, qtip and your girls nail polish remover..

Yeah the lotion works great on patent leather... Its a weird but it works. Anytype of clear plastic will get cloudy from time to time..

Any help would be great! I have a pair of 1991 white Infrared 6s sz 11 that need to be swapped. Wouldni be better off using a Sz 10.5, 11, or 11.5 sole? I have an 11 and 11.5 but if i need to get a 10.5 i can
Id start off bigger since Nike and jordans have gotten smaller and more narrow. however the only way to know is to buy both, shouldn't cost too much to grab a pair of sole donors.. There is a few hybrid models that jb made that use the 6s sole and mid sole, that you can use for donor soles.

Id personally start with an 11. You should be able to tell if it can fit without tearing the shoes apart.. I.e. draw an accurate outline on a piece of paper and match them up.. Thats one way..

feelingood feelingood

Would oxiclean white revive make the toe cap on my playoff 13s really white? They kind of yellow.

I was gonna paint them, but if I can use that I will.

And how much do I pour in a cup?

Its not that you shouldn't like 11s, but not all shoes are made the same.. Some models have better quality and materials, while others are like playing a lottery to see if you got a good pair. While some shoes are harder to maintain than others.. It happens..

Thats a tough scuff.. You need a qtip and your girls nail polish remover.. Was hopin the rubbing alcohol would do the trick..

Update on the scuff. I tried Nail polish remover and it didn't work. If I rocked these so much, then I'd feel less pissed but I literally wore these few times
I live in Toronto, Canada, might see if I can find a good shoe repair place maybe they can refinish the patent leather? I love 11s, but the patent leather is
tedious to take care of. Appreciate you though for answering, Much love homie

Scuff-02.jpg

Update on the scuff. I tried Nail polish remover and it didn't work. If I rocked these so much, then I'd feel less pissed but I literally wore these few times
I live in Toronto, Canada, might see if I can find a good shoe repair place maybe they can refinish the patent leather? I love 11s, but the patent leather is
tedious to take care of. Appreciate you though for answering, Much love homie

Scuff-02.jpg

damn.. just out of curiousity, the nail polish remover you used on em - did they have acetone in them? You need the type with acetone.

feelingood feelingood

Would oxiclean white revive make the toe cap on my playoff 13s really white? They kind of yellow.

I was gonna paint them, but if I can use that I will.

And how much do I pour in a cup?

You mean the rubber part, e.g. midsole. when you say playoff 13s, I am thinking of a black shoe.

there is no set amount. Obviously if it doesnt whiten then maybe the solution is too diluted because its one of those things that legimately always works. Test on one shoe first so you can see the results and if your using the right amount.

my best advice is, is to practice on a beater shoe...

Yeah the one I used does have Acetone in it. I guess the scuffs are too deep and penetrated the finish. Bummer.
Does the surface feel smooth? It is possibly a shoe repair could help you be sure to tell them youve tried rubbing alcohol and acetone to save them time - as they will most likely do the same thing..

Yeah the one I used does have Acetone in it. I guess the scuffs are too deep and penetrated the finish. Bummer.
Some other things you can try, is toothpaste, petroleum jelly, mineral oil, and also a magic eraser.

Mineral oil is the proper way to clean patent leather, fyi. But may not work on low quality p. leather. Test an area first before using it.

Magic eraser, you can rub slowly and firmly but not too hard.

(if the scuff mark was due to paint, then the acetone or rubbing alcohol would have removed it..)

Does the surface feel smooth? It is possibly a shoe repair could help you be sure to tell them youve tried rubbing alcohol and acetone to save them time - as they will most likely do the same thing..

The surface still feels smooth, but I’ve tried both rubbing alcohol and nail polish remover with acetone and still that lame scuff.

Some other things you can try, is toothpaste, petroleum jelly, mineral oil, and also a magic eraser.

Mineral oil is the proper way to clean patent leather, fyi. But may not work on low quality p. leather. Test an area first before using it.

Magic eraser, you can rub slowly and firmly but not too hard.

(if the scuff mark was due to paint, then the acetone or rubbing alcohol would have removed it..)

Update: I tried magic erase, petroleum jelly, toothpaste.... still there. :sick:

4ACThLI.jpg

Update: I tried magic erase, petroleum jelly, toothpaste.... still there. :sick:

4ACThLI.jpg
Dude, take it to a shoe repair and just get the
ir opinion.. That is one lame scuff, bro.. I am wondering if the shoe is actually damaged or scratched.

Usually r. alcohol or acetone nail polish and a q tip or cotton pad always works for me.. Since I cant be there to inspect them in person, I am wondering what the shoe repair place will say

light scuffs can possibly be removed with above methods. but if you have a hard/deep scuff like i did with my georgetown 11 lows, then its not gonna be an easy fix. its most likely that u damaged the shoe's top layer. i tried the nail polish, acetone, lotion etc. nothing worked. i was finally told i was going to have to strip off that shiny/glossy varnish layer and reapply it.

its similar to a car. some scratches r light so you can buy product to buff it out. but if u have a deep scratch on ya car, then ya gonna have to strip and repaint.

20150623_144212.jpg

light scuffs can possibly be removed with above methods. but if you have a hard/deep scuff like i did with my georgetown 11 lows, then its not gonna be an easy fix. its most likely that u damaged the shoe's top layer. i tried the nail polish, acetone, lotion etc. nothing worked. i was finally told i was going to have to strip off that shiny/glossy varnish layer and reapply it.

its similar to a car. some scratches r light so you can buy product to buff it out. but if u have a deep scratch on ya car, then ya gonna have to strip and repaint.

20150623_144212.jpg

Yours looks exactly like mine. How did yours turn out, did you end up repainting it or getting someone to do it?

Appreciate both you guys for the responses and info

Yours looks exactly like mine. How did yours turn out, did you end up repainting it or getting someone to do it?

Appreciate both you guys for the responses and info

i just left it and turned them into beaters/ball shoes. to me, stripping off that glossy varnish and recoating woulda been too much work for me to do, and cost too much for sum1 else to do it.

i have sooooooooo many pairs of kicks, it just wasnt worth it to me to go thru all that for 1 pair because of a scuff. but if u really wanna get it fixed, im sure there are some sneaker restorers or even customizers who would know how to do it for ya.

20150623_144212.jpg
exactly what I thought. Just didnt want to be a bearer of bad news, lol.

You mean the rubber part, e.g. midsole. when you say playoff 13s, I am thinking of a black shoe.

there is no set amount. Obviously if it doesnt whiten then maybe the solution is too diluted because its one of those things that legimately always works. Test on one shoe first so you can see the results and if your using the right amount.

my best advice is, is to practice on a beater shoe...

Yeah it’s black, but there are rubber white toe caps.

I’ll test it out to see how it works.

And I have been battling these concord 11s the past week. I don’t know what the hell happened, I can get the stains to go away, but they just keep coming back after they dry. And there are stains all over the shoe, like at the toe and all of that, the jeans didn’t even touch in those areas.

I’ll try for a few more days before I get the oxi white, and if oxi doesn’t work, then I’ll have to think of something extreme because I refuse to make these kicks beaters or to play ball in them. I’ll paint them if I have to.

Back
Top Bottom