:::OFFICIAL SNEAKER CARE/MAINTENANCE POST::: (It's back!)

great thread...i just came on here to see how to clean my sneakers and read about 10 pages of 661 pages...i have 2 questions that in sure have been discussed before:

1. i have some Jordan 5s that still look nice, is there anyway i can maintain/prevent the netting on the side/tongue from yellowing? what about the icy soles?...what i read so far is to keep them in the box and remove the paper...also the 1st page of this thread indicated using yellow armor all as a prevantative measure (that post was from 2007 tho and i dont know if the product still exists)

2. i wanted to clean my everyday kyrie 5s and save them for sporadic gym use...theres nothing really wrong with them other than being a little worn...will using laundry detergent, warm water, and a scrub brush be okay?

thanks!

1. That netting on that 5 is one of the hardest things to clean and maintain. There are a few ways to go about it.. You could try salon 40 (youtube it). For soles, its literally two posts anove yours.. On how store them, and daily maintenance and preventing yellowing. You could also add a silica packet to the box, just dont put it in direct contact to the shoes. But still some shoes will yellow randomly. - So my fear 5s , stored, cleaned , ds - yellowed. But my infrared 5s, never stored, cleaned, are still completely icey. It will differ from shoe to shoe, hut the method I have tested does work. So dont be disencouraged if they still yellow, some colorways just yellow quicker for whatever reason. And 5s yellow quicker than any other model, even the older 6s.

2. Yeah that will be fine.. The only things that method wont work on is suede, nubuck, and some really high quality grain leathers.

I really appreciate your feed back. I spent sometime reading many of your previous posts and it seems like you’re a guru at this stuff. I know I speak for a lot of NTers when I say thanks for spending the time to respond with so much useful info.

Also, does the windex remove the yellowing or just help the clear sole stay blue?

anytime bro. I gained the knowledge here a long time ago is just a way to pass it forward. thanks for the acknoweldgement of what Im doing.

The windex method I discovered myself. so it does two things.

1) After wear, it removes dirt (sometimes the dirt /dust you cant see) that eventually sits on your soles turns the soles yellow after the sit. What windex is designed to do, is to spray ontop of a tough stain, let it sit for a couple minutes, the windex will start dissolving the stain so it can be wiped off. Which is why cleaning after every wear or every couple/few wears is important. icey soles hate water/moisture/humidity , water oxidizes and turns them yellow real quick. Hence storage. Also the blue windex I have not found to damage glue, but then again Im not spraying it on top of the glue either. If you store dirty shoes inside a plastic bag or any storage, it speeds up yellowing. This is preventing them from yellowing, so your storing your shoes clean.

2) If the shoes yellow. Lets say very early stages. Lets use my pewter foams as an example. Most my foams back in the 2010/2011 era, you could get 4-5 heavy wears with no cleaning before they started yellowing. Some shoes, less. So the pewters - Wear them once for a few hours and the soles are already yellow by the time I take them off. Or if I have a stored pair that started yellowing. I spray and wipe. then spray and let them soak and sit. It actually removes early stage yellow by pretty much redying them. The windex will disolve the dirt, and when its not wiped off, it will dry blue. I either put my shoes on a rack where rhe excess windex can drip off or tilt the shoe to let the excess fluid run off onto a towel or something. For late stage yellowing, the method will lighten it up a few shades of yellow, but it wont return them to glory. at that stage Id get some blue brit dye, dilute it, and redye the yellow soles light blue.

Last edited:
Anyone have a good heel tab replacement customizer/artist they would recommend for doing on a pair of 3's

I have some Jordan 4's with the soles coming detached. Anyone know how to hold the sole in place when glueing with Barge cement? I tried using the 'shoelace' method to tie around the shoe to hold in place but it didn't really work. is there a more secure way of holding the sole in place?

I have some Jordan 4's with the soles coming detached. Anyone know how to hold the sole in place when glueing with Barge cement? I tried using the 'shoelace' method to tie around the shoe to hold in place but it didn't really work. is there a more secure way of holding the sole in place?
i would youtube the method. your heating up the glue?

nah i'm not heating the glue. just applying it straight from the can to the shoe
thats why.. you have the heat up the glue using a heat gun or blow dryer before sticking it on.. i mean, like apply the glue with a brush to the sole and the bottom of the shoe (dont use too much glue, but enough).. then use a heat gun or blow dryer to heat the glue. this activates the glue... watch some restoration videos on youtube and you get the idea. then rubberband them up..

when you heat the glue, its gonna cause it to expand, so have some q tips handy to wipe up the excess.

might I suggest practicing this on a practice donor pair to perfect your technique before using it on a pair you really like.

rubbing alcohol or nail polish cleaner.. heard lotion works too to make them shine. Id try rubbing alcohol .

often times a damp cloth works wonders. id wipe them first, then if that doesnt help, rubbibg alcohol should get them back in the roto

Thanks for your reply bro.. I am a little hesitant about alcohol though. Seems real harsh especially for patent leather. Have you put that on PL XI's before?

Thanks for your reply bro.. I am a little hesitant about alcohol though. Seems real harsh especially for patent leather. Have you put that on PL XI's before?
Have you tried soapy water? yeah, I have. Basically patent leather is a plastic film that covers the leather. Its usually a plastic or sometimes vinyl that is applied over the leather.. So basically your cleaning plastic. I mean I wouldnt applyRubbing alcohol wont be safe applied directly on leather, but patent leather is a different story since you cant access the leather underneath.. I personally was more aprehensive about using lotion to reshine patent leather, but it does work.

You could also try windex. But if your trying to remove scuffs or minor scratches , alcohol is the way to go.

If you care alot of the pair in question, start with the least abrhresive method first.
Soapy water then windex (apply the windex to a cloth first then wipe.. not directly onto the shoe.) , then rubbing alcohol or nail polish remover (same method as windex.. apply to a cloth or a cotton ball if your girl has got any laying around)

Are you trying to clean or reshine the PL?

Last edited:
Have you tried soapy water? yeah, I have. Basically patent leather is a plastic film that covers the leather. Its usually a plastic or sometimes vinyl that is applied over the leather.. So basically your cleaning plastic. I mean I wouldnt applyRubbing alcohol wont be safe applied directly on leather, but patent leather is a different story since you cant access the leather underneath.. I personally was more aprehensive about using lotion to reshine patent leather, but it does work.

You could also try windex. But if your trying to remove scuffs or minor scratches , alcohol is the way to go.

If you care alot of the pair in question, start with the least abrhresive method first.
Soapy water then windex (apply the windex to a cloth first then wipe.. not directly onto the shoe.) , then rubbing alcohol or nail polish remover (same method as windex.. apply to a cloth or a cotton ball if your girl has got any laying around)

Are you trying to clean or reshine the PL?

Interesting.. logically it sounds great but I guess I'm concerned about the finish the PL may have and that alcohol may eat away at it or even dry it out or something. I did try soap and water to no avail which made sense since I accidentally got Kiwi stain repellent on them (like crepe) so I can see why soap and water isn't working. But what I'm trying to do is get the stains off which are probably some kind of bond that forms on the material to repel stains/water etc. and since its on PL.. it gives it a weird stained pattern that you see when it shines... obviously a problem for PL.

Someone in the XI thread suggested Goo gone.. not sure if that's too harsh also though.

Interesting.. logically it sounds great but I guess I'm concerned about the finish the PL may have and that alcohol may eat away at it or even dry it out or something. I did try soap and water to no avail which made sense since I accidentally got Kiwi stain repellent on them (like crepe) so I can see why soap and water isn't working. But what I'm trying to do is get the stains off which are probably some kind of bond that forms on the material to repel stains/water etc. and since its on PL.. it gives it a weird stained pattern that you see when it shines... obviously a problem for PL.

Someone in the XI thread suggested Goo gone.. not sure if that's too harsh also though.

so the kiwi spray made them cloudy? there is no chance rubbing alcohol that would eat through plastic or the film thats laying over the PL..

Problem with goo gone is that its oily and can damage/discolor the white mesh.

If they were my own shoes, Id apply rubbing alcohol or nail polish remover. More than likely it is a chemical stain. Kiwi spray (if you used the repel), is short term. It wears away.

PL looks like a film but its a clear plastic covering.. Sometimes vinyl (e.g
higher quality dress shoes).

Post a pic and let me see. Meanwhile - Try the windex method. I posted instructions in the post above...

I wouldnt worry. Spray stains as long as its not crepe, are relatively easy stains to get out.

also want you to try this.. make soapy water out of laundry detergent and dish washing soap. add a bit more soap to water than you did last time. I know laundry detergent eats away any water repellants. Your right, I dont know why I thought you meant the cleaner spray, but you even said you sprayed the repel spray. reg soapy water, the spray will repel the water, yes.

and this is just an fyi for the future. you dont need to spray repellant on non suede shoes. Even grained leather does not need a repellant. But grain leather needs to be moisturized every few months. And basically not worn in rainy weather. a little water wont damage them. Niether does mesh... PL is a plastic, so you cant even access the leather underneath.. if its low quality leather, you could spray repellant - if you plan to use em as beaters.

Last edited:
Hi Good day to all. I need help. It seems there's a chip on the midsole. Is there any way to fix this? Or is it ok to just leave it like that? My concern is that the midsole would breaks & crumble to pieces. :emoji_cry: NikeATCIIIMidsoleChips.png

Attachments

• NikeATCIIIMidsoleFaulty.png
    NikeATCIIIMidsoleFaulty.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 28
  • NikeATCIIIMidsoleChips.png
    NikeATCIIIMidsoleChips.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 115
Hi Good day to all. I need help. It seems there's a chip on the midsole. Is there any way to fix this? Or is it ok to just leave it like that? My concern is that the midsole would breaks & crumble to pieces. :emoji_cry: NikeATCIIIMidsoleChips.png
how old is the shoe? and has it be broken in or is it DS?

I need help...I have a stain on my SpaceJams. It's on the sole, heel area from my black floor mats in my Jeep. It will not come off. Any suggestions
20191227_102843.jpg

I need help...I have a stain on my SpaceJams. It's on the sole, heel area from my black floor mats in my Jeep. It will not come off. Any suggestions
20191227_102843.jpg

As far as preventing the stain in the first place, I noticed a huge difference when I switched to all weather/ rubber mat in my truck. My heel doesn’t get stained anymore. My heel used to get mad stains like that with the factory floor mat.

As far as preventing the stain in the first place, I noticed a huge difference when I switched to all weather/ rubber mat in my truck. My heel doesn’t get stained anymore. My heel used to get mad stains like that with the factory floor mat.

The stain is from the slush mats, rubber.

13061DB5-65F7-4926-8F27-5AFBF21F186C.jpeg
Im thinking of pulling the trigger on these from GOAT. Does this black mark On the right sneaker look like it can come off easily?

if anyone could help with this, I’d be super appreciative. I had these in storage at my folks house and I’m not sure what this is. They were perfectly fine when I bought them and I’ve literally pulled them out of the closet twice. Does anyone know what this is and how i can take care of it?

Attachments

• 80D9EFE6-C879-4CB1-B524-5B1FAC522FC7.jpeg
    80D9EFE6-C879-4CB1-B524-5B1FAC522FC7.jpeg
    359.7 KB · Views: 179
  • CE9232E8-9045-43EE-B7C0-24E342B911F6.jpeg
    CE9232E8-9045-43EE-B7C0-24E342B911F6.jpeg
    363.1 KB · Views: 316
Back
Top Bottom