:::OFFICIAL SNEAKER CARE/MAINTENANCE POST::: (It's back!)

Isn't that from the heat, or sun. My setup doesn't produce any heat at all.
Its from the chemicals inside seaglow itself. Afterall it is intended for use on boats. As long as you dont seaglow regularily or on old shoes youll be okay.. Due to the risk of eating up the glue I usually dont recommend it unless its a last resort.

Im glad you didnt put em outside in sunlight or use a setup with heat since that would expedite the glue coming apart.

If the shoes are DS, Id definately rock them around the house and get them broken in.. Just wearing them and letting your socks sweat a bit inside of them is enough. for midsoles, youll want to apply some pressure.. E.g. walk around the house while you got them on. It will make the glue last longer. even a mild break in activates the glue and makes it last alot longer.

lol this thread was filled with people seaglowing shoes back in the 2011 era and coming back with soles falling off. Until we finally figured out it was the seaglow and not heat (e.g. from lamps and sunlight). Although heat will make it worse, of course. It was a noted issue with seaglow, which is why people started venturing for other solutions, e.g. salon40.

If you need to seaglow them again. Id use something to tape up /seal them and protect the crevices from the soles where the seaglow and creep into and come into contact with any glue.

Last edited:
Its from the chemicals inside seaglow itself. Afterall it is intended for use on boats. As long as you dont seaglow regularily or on old shoes youll be okay.. Due to the risk of eating up the glue I usually dont recommend it unless its a last resort.

Im glad you didnt put em outside in sunlight or use a setup with heat since that would expedite the glue coming apart.

If the shoes are DS, Id definately rock them around the house and get them broken in.. Just wearing them and letting your socks sweat a bit inside of them is enough. for midsoles, youll want to apply some pressure.. E.g. walk around the house while you got them on. It will make the glue last longer.

lol this thread was filled with people seaglowing shoes back in the 2011 era and coming back with soles falling off. It was a noted issue with seaglow, which is why people started venturing for other solutions, e.g. salon40.

I dont believe that at all. I have sea glowed for 10 years and never had any sort of separation. Infact I've done it on 2000 Concords.

And Salon Care 40 is far worst for rubber than seaglow, seaglow is oil based, specifically made for plastic and fiberglass whereas Salon care is for bleaching hair. Leave each product on your finger and see which one hurts first.

I dont believe that at all. I have sea glowed for 10 years and never had any sort of separation. Infact I've done it on 2000 Concords.

And Salon Care 40 is far worst for rubber than seaglow, seaglow is oil based, specifically made for plastic and fiberglass whereas Salon care is for bleaching hair. Leave each product on your finger and see which one hurts first.

yeah but skin and glue are different things. personally the safest thing to do, is to redye the soles light blue.. using rit dye. and of course the sole isnt gonna just come off until you start wearing them more. It wont make the sole literally peel off on its own.. But after a few heavy wears, was where we started to see problems.

Its a toss up but salon40 is safer to use, if I had to choose a method.

which is why when cleaning you want to scratch off the easiest solutions first before getting your hands dirty.

you should be okay. but Id start breaking in the shoes mildy, if they are DS.

the cost of some cleaning products like seaglow and others (e.g. throwing shoes in the laundry machine, jason mark and etc) - is it can damage shoes longjevity. thats simply a risk.

I couldnt imagine what would happen if you put seaglow in your hair. but then again its irrelevant. everything has its purpose.

you aint gotta believe it. but theres a reasom everyone stopped using seaglow.. and started using salon40. it came from this very thread.

at the end of the day, they are your shoes fam. you paid the money for em, so its whatever you feel good about . Im happy the stain come out though.

Last edited:
yeah but skin and glue are different things. personally the safest thing to do, is to redye the soles light blue.. using rit dye. and of course the sole isnt gonna just come off until you start wearing them more. It wont make the sole literally peel off on its own.. But after a few heavy wears, was where we started to see problems.

Its a toss up but salon40 is safer to use, if I had to choose a method.

which is why when cleaning you want to scratch off the easiest solutions first before getting your hands dirty.

you should be okay. but Id start breaking in the shoes mildy, if they are DS.

the cost of some cleaning products like seaglow and others (e.g. throwing shoes in the laundry machine, jason mark and etc) - is it can damage shoes longjevity. thats simply a risk.

I couldnt imagine what would happen if you put seaglow in your hair. but then again its irrelevant. everything has its purpose.

People went crazy over "RetroBright and SalonCare" because its obviously cheaper. But as far as it being better and safer, that's certainly not the case. Its technically not removing yellow, it's just bleaching the surface. Neither product penetrates the sole to even affect the glue. Like I said Seaglow is oil based, it's not corrosive. Salon Care is actually corrosive. Some of them, like volume 50, the public can't even purchase without the certification.

People went crazy over "RetroBright and SalonCare" because its obviously cheaper. But as far as it being better and safer, that's certainly not the case. Its technically not removing yellow, it's just bleaching the surface. Neither product penetrates the sole to even affect the glue. Like I said Seaglow is oil based, it's not corrosive. Salon Care is actually corrosive. Some of them, like volume 50, the public can't even purchase without the certification.

almost everything is corrosive. even suede spray... acetone, alcohol, sneaker protector. im not gonna get into it with you bro. its just my two cents of knowledge. take it as you will. your shoes. enjoy em.

then again, put water on icey soles and it makes them yellow and oxidize faster. sunlight and hot air melts glue. hot water or air from a heater can melt glue. air turns white leather to yellow. we can get into the science of it all, but not today.

afterall.. its all in this thread , somewhere within the 600 pages.

Last edited:
Is there any way to whiten patent leather? I found a deadstock pair of yellowed OG Columbia 11s for cheap

Last edited:
Is there any way to whiten patent leather? I found a deadstock pair of yellowed OG Columbia 11s for cheap
patent leather is a clear plastic film that covers the leather.. so the leather under the plastic has yellowed. with high quality shoes its often clear vinyl.. never the less, answer is no.

oxidation over the years will turn white to yellow.

if you have direct access to the leather you can use oxiclean to whiten it, e.g. the heel, and you can whiten the midsoles with oxiclean or repaining them . but applying it on patent leather wont do anything, since its clear plastic thats applied over leather. you cant really take it off, unless you construct that piece yourself and sew it on.

Last edited:
patent leather is a clear plastic film that covers the leather.. so the leather under the plastic has yellowed. with high quality shoes its often clear vinyl.. never the less, answer is no.

oxidation over the years will turn white to yellow.

if you have direct access to the leather you can use oxiclean to whiten it, e.g. the heel, and you can whiten the midsoles with oxiclean or repaining them . but applying it on patent leather wont do anything, since its clear plastic thats applied over leather. you cant really take it off, unless you construct that piece yourself and sew it on.

This sucks. I dont wanna buy them then.

on my 72-10 Jordan 11s the jump man is coming off any one have any suggestions on how to repair it thanks I’m advanced

ive used both... and I had way better results on clearing out the yellowing with sea glow. One downside of using sea glow is it ruin the traction.

saloncare 40 works wonder on unyellowing oxidation on Rubber soles/midsole (etc 13 pods)

ive used both... and I had way better results on clearing out the yellowing with sea glow. One downside of using sea glow is it ruin the traction.

saloncare 40 works wonder on unyellowing oxidation on Rubber soles/midsole (etc 13 pods)

A good way I found to keep traction was wet a microfiber cloth with water and wipe them down good after your sea glow session is complete. They're probably still slippery because it's still sea glow on them.

Need some help. Need to clean these red suede 5s. Any tips. Keep hearing about reshoev8neir and jacob something. No idea. Heres rhe kicks now.

Attachments

• 20200118_182154.jpg
    20200118_182154.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 201
Need some help. Need to clean these red suede 5s. Any tips. Keep hearing about reshoev8neir and jacob something. No idea. Heres rhe kicks now.
suede eraser and a suede brush. if your lazy, grab a bottle of suede cleaner spray from the grocery market.

What's the best way to deodorize some sneakers? My ball shoes have little ventilation, which causes a lot of sweat/bacteria buildup. Still got a lot of life in them, just need to get rid of the funk lol.

What's the best way to deodorize some sneakers? My ball shoes have little ventilation, which causes a lot of sweat/bacteria buildup. Still got a lot of life in them, just need to get rid of the funk lol.
you got a few options. lysol spray, dryer sheets, tea bags. Id recommend taking out the insoles and washing them.

Hey guys I need some help with Bred 1s that I got restored by customizer because I bought them pretty scuffed on the mudguard, he did covered that up and I believe repainted them but he used some too glossy finish when I initially confronted him with it he told me they are just waxed and gloss will dull with wear... I tried to get rid of the gloss with saddle soap with no effect... anyway to give them original look?

1579788129262.png

Hey guys I need some help with Bred 1s that I got restored by customizer because I bought them pretty scuffed on the mudguard, he did covered that up and I believe repainted them but he used some too glossy finish when I initially confronted him with it he told me they are just waxed and gloss will dull with wear... I tried to get rid of the gloss with saddle soap with no effect... anyway to give them original look?

1579788129262.png
I’m sure feelingood feelingood will have a response, but maybe Krylon Matte finish spray could work? You can buy it from Hobby Lobby/Michaels and maybe even Wal Mart.

see what he says before doing anything though.

I’m sure feelingood feelingood will have a response, but maybe Krylon Matte finish spray could work? You can buy it from Hobby Lobby/Michaels and maybe even Wal Mart.

see what he says before doing anything though.

Thanks, also I live in Czech Republic so no Wal Mart but I believe we have some alternatives here

feelingood feelingood and everyone else. What’s the best method to stop squeaking for Jordan 11s?

I have only worn the shoes around a dozen times and now they are squeaking.

These are the 2018 concords so idk why they are already squeaking after minimal wear.

I’ve heard about baby powder, and now I’m hearing WD40.

I’ve tried to clean shoes on my own and that ended up making them worse before I asked on here, so I appreciate all replies and if you have other tips you’ve heard please let me know.

Is this cleanable? I tried the jason markk suede brush/eraser. Didn't do a damn thing. Am I just screwed?

Attachments

• 20200123_144241.jpg
    20200123_144241.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 20200123_144253.jpg
    20200123_144253.jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 20200123_144247.jpg
    20200123_144247.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 49
  • 20200123_144241.jpg
    20200123_144241.jpg