:::OFFICIAL SNEAKER CARE/MAINTENANCE POST::: (It's back!)

Looking to finally clean my Air Skylon 2’s. Practically brand new because I’ve only worn them 3 times but these things are dirt magnets because of the materials.

1670F789-C525-480E-A14A-FD739F1C5974.jpeg

CCCBAAC9-F141-4308-AAE3-1F38AA6BD25F.jpeg

Wasn’t sure how to go about cleaning the suede material of the toe rand. Would a suede eraser be the way to go? I feel like a hot rag and water could get it out but I feel like it could smudge it and make it MUCH worse too. Also have a faint stain on the toe box that came from this random root sticking out the sidewalk. One of those barely noticeable stains but it’s like I know it’s there so it urks me. Have no idea how to approach the toe box material. Not sure if anything can be done or I just have to live with it

479612C9-71A0-4474-8BC5-4012D2CCADA1.jpeg

Looking to finally clean my Air Skylon 2’s. Practically brand new because I’ve only worn them 3 times but these things are dirt magnets because of the materials.

1670F789-C525-480E-A14A-FD739F1C5974.jpeg

CCCBAAC9-F141-4308-AAE3-1F38AA6BD25F.jpeg

Wasn’t sure how to go about cleaning the suede material of the toe rand. Would a suede eraser be the way to go? I feel like a hot rag and water could get it out but I feel like it could smudge it and make it MUCH worse too. Also have a faint stain on the toe box that came from this random root sticking out the sidewalk. One of those barely noticeable stains but it’s like I know it’s there so it urks me. Have no idea how to approach the toe box material. Not sure if anything can be done or I just have to live with it

479612C9-71A0-4474-8BC5-4012D2CCADA1.jpeg
use a white suede eraser on the suede.. You can use jason mark on the mesh. However do both shoes and all the mesh so that it matches. If its faint and o ly you notice it, leave it alone. Thats my two cents. Just wait until it needs a proper cleaning. Because you risk messing them up worse or the colors not matching , if you spot clean it .

Those stains that only you noticr that bug you, I find that you run a mich hugher risk of making the situation alot worse than it is.

use a white suede eraser on the suede.. You can use jason mark on the mesh. However do both shoes and all the mesh so that it matches. If its faint and o ly you notice it, leave it alone. Thats my two cents. Just wait until it needs a proper cleaning. Because you risk messing them up worse or the colors not matching , if you spot clean it .

Those stains that only you noticr that bug you, I find that you run a mich hugher risk of making the situation alot worse than it is.

You’re 100% right on the making things worse aspect. I’ll just leave the toe box alone for now. I’ll def get the suede eraser to clean the toe rand though. Resell is so low on them I’m thinking about scooping another pair to ice so I can wear these without a care and still practice my cleaning skills on the current pair. Thank you!

3 quick questions...What’s the best protectant for the uppers of bred 4’s....what’s the best cleaners for the uppers of the bred 4s......and what’s the best way to get the midsole around the to box of fire reds white again?

You’re 100% right on the making things worse aspect. I’ll just leave the toe box alone for now. I’ll def get the suede eraser to clean the toe rand though. Resell is so low on them I’m thinking about scooping another pair to ice so I can wear these without a care and still practice my cleaning skills on the current pair. Thank you!

smart man. pm me if you ever need help.. bear in mind the sythentic suede on most nike shoes , the material is naturally harder to clean when it gets dirty. good quality nubuck and suede is much easier to clean.

for those shoes, invest in some repellent spray. spray the suede when you get them. this prevents stains from soaking deep into the material and allows easier cleaning.

3 quick questions...What’s the best protectant for the uppers of bred 4’s....what’s the best cleaners for the uppers of the bred 4s......and what’s the best way to get the midsole around the to box of fire reds white again?
kiwi for the sprays. need pics for the fire reds.

Just got my Seattle 10's in, there's this random line/mark on the leather of the right shoe. Any tips on what I can do to remove it? Can't feel anything build-up wise when I run my nail over it.
IMG_2577.jpg

Just got my Seattle 10's in, there's this random line/mark on the leather of the right shoe. Any tips on what I can do to remove it? Can't feel anything build-up wise when I run my nail over it.
IMG_2577.jpg

lick your thumb and see if it will rub off looks like a glue mark, or even try to just rub it off with a dry thumb it may just wipe off with minimal effort

Kiwi got on the PL area and now this won’t come off. Someone suggested goo gone but at this point I feel like it’ll make it worse.

Thoughts?? Thanks in advance

C3132D82-B54C-4C38-9D94-E026BEC3BC31.jpeg
F9B6B408-83F7-4975-83BF-E4D758847321.jpeg

I need help!!!! I had motor oil spill in my car and it got on my concords. I was stupid and put them in the wash with detergent and Borox. I hope I will be able to get the stain out! When they came out the stain was still there(the blue on mesh) and somehow spread and there are stains around the jump man and a bunch of fuzzies and blue stains above the patent leather please help me!!
image.jpg
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 486
Kiwi got on the PL area and now this won’t come off. Someone suggested goo gone but at this point I feel like it’ll make it worse.

Thoughts?? Thanks in advance

C3132D82-B54C-4C38-9D94-E026BEC3BC31.jpeg
F9B6B408-83F7-4975-83BF-E4D758847321.jpeg
rubbing alcohol or nail polish cleaner.. heard lotion works too to make them shine. Id try rubbing alcohol .

often times a damp cloth works wonders. id wipe them first, then if that doesnt help, rubbibg alcohol should get them back in the roto

l
What is the most effective way to clean and keep the patent leather shiny on the 11’s?
lotion for shine. i personally use endust. its in your cleaning aisle in the grocery.

clean, water/damp cloth.. rubbing alcohol or nail polish remover for tougher marks and scratches.

I need help!!!! I had motor oil spill in my car and it got on my concords. I was stupid and put them in the wash with detergent and Borox. I hope I will be able to get the stain out! When they came out the stain was still there(the blue on mesh) and somehow spread and there are stains around the jump man and a bunch of fuzzies and blue stains above the patent leather please help me!!
image.jpg
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
next time dont throw them in the wash. the stains set into the material. At this point youll need to do a restore and repaint. I dont know who made people think its a good idea to throw shoes in the washing machine - as I have never seen it once work. Water and oil makes most stains worse as it can cause them to spread (fyi). on cotton and etc , it not a big deal as it will discolor the entire garmet to the point you wont notice.. Or it will fade the color. The dyes used on shoes is not the same as the dye used on clothes.

next time dont throw them in the wash. the stains set into the material. At this point youll need to do a restore and repaint. I dont know who made people think its a good idea to throw shoes in the washing machine - as I have never seen it once work. Water and oil makes most stains worse as it can cause them to spread (fyi). on cotton and etc , it not a big deal as it will discolor the entire garmet to the point you wont notice.. Or it will fade the color. The dyes used on shoes is not the same as the dye used on clothes.
Reshoevn8r.

dont get me started on reshoevantor...... especially their little promoted paid for advertisements on youtube showing "youtuber sneakerheads" hoax/fake cleaning shoes.

but their tactics in promoting are sneaky. lets sell people b.s. ideas , e.g. problems.. So we they mess up their shoes more - we can offer a variety of "fake solutions".

it took me years to learn how to clean shoes, and all that knowledge is here in this thread and other maintenance threads dating back to 2004. there is no easy way in life. sure alot of it is trail and error.

Deciding to clean shoes often times feels like a gamble. In my early days, before I understood materials - I messed up alot of pairs cleaning. It is always a risk, of making the stain worse. Now a days, more like an art / skill in my book, as I can pretty much make any pair shine again. Even the toughest of stains have solutions, oil, ink, blood - but its all about doing maintenance in a timely manner, otherwisr the job gets harder.

Its ironic, because over the years of perfecting this skill, I began appreciating "worn in shoes" , e.g. as I refer to them as shoes with character. To me it gives them a sense of character and personality, not to be in pristine condition... and to be in more of an aged condition. however some shoes are not meant for that, depending on the make, model, and materials used on shoes (cough, cough , New Balance). Fabrics, and synthetic leathers/suedes do not age well, and are fragile to an extent in regards to stains. But then again where I live, you can keep shoes reletaively clean by being careful. Some places, e.g. New York - your white soles turn black in 15 minutes when you step outside.

Last edited:
dont get me started on reshoevantor...... especially their little promoted paid for advertisements on youtube showing "youtuber sneakerheads" hoax/fake cleaning shoes.

but their tactics in promoting are sneaky. lets sell people b.s. ideas , e.g. problems.. So we they mess up their shoes more - we can offer a variety of "fake solutions".

it took me years to learn how to clean shoes, and all that knowledge is here in this thread and other maintenance threads dating back to 2004. there is no easy way in life. sure alot of it is trail and error.

Deciding to clean shoes often times feels like a gamble. In my early days, before I understood materials - I messed up alot of pairs cleaning. It is always a risk, of making the stain worse. Now a days, more like an art / skill in my book, as I can pretty much make any pair shine again. Even the toughest of stains have solutions, oil, ink, blood - but its all about doing maintenance in a timely manner, otherwisr the job gets harder.

Its ironic, because over the years of perfecting this skill, I began appreciating "worn in shoes" , e.g. as I refer to them as shoes with character. To me it gives them a sense of character and personality, not to be in pristine condition... and to be in more of an aged condition. however some shoes are not meant for that, depending on the make, model, and materials used on shoes (cough, cough , New Balance). Fabrics, and synthetic leathers/suedes do not age well, and are fragile to an extent in regards to stains. But then again where I live, you can keep shoes reletaively clean by being careful. Some places, e.g. New York - your white soles turn black in 15 minutes when you step outside.
I don’t know if you remember, but I was asking you advice months back about my concords. Don’t think I told you, but I fixed my concords bro. I was worrying, but it all worked out bro.

You’re right when it comes to cleaning kicks, you gotta learn. learned not to use dish soap lmao.

I wonder how rehoev8r and other brands get started and make so much money off their ****?

I didn’t think it was gonna work, but I got them to stay white.

The key was they needed to be cooled off while drying. At the time it was too hot and it kept turning yellow. It got colder then it started to stay white.

I learned my lesson with cleaning those. Only thing that I’m pissed about is that I used so much water cleaning them, that the shoe looks wayyyy more worn than it would have been because I barely wear them.

But we good now, and I’ve used your other tips on my red Ferraris as well. Works like a charm.

Appreciate the help bro.

So I just un DS’d a pair of Win like 82 11s and the icey sole is already yellowing around the herringbone pods. It’s my fault for leaving all the paper and whatnot in the box with them all this time. Is there anyway to reverse the yellowing or at least put a stop to it? I’m about to be out of country for a year and worried I’ll comeback to severely yellowed 11s

I don’t know if you remember, but I was asking you advice months back about my concords. Don’t think I told you, but I fixed my concords bro. I was worrying, but it all worked out bro.

You’re right when it comes to cleaning kicks, you gotta learn. learned not to use dish soap lmao.

I wonder how rehoev8r and other brands get started and make so much money off their ****?

I didn’t think it was gonna work, but I got them to stay white.

The key was they needed to be cooled off while drying. At the time it was too hot and it kept turning yellow. It got colder then it started to stay white.

I learned my lesson with cleaning those. Only thing that I’m pissed about is that I used so much water cleaning them, that the shoe looks wayyyy more worn than it would have been because I barely wear them.

But we good now, and I’ve used your other tips on my red Ferraris as well. Works like a charm.

Appreciate the help bro.

glad you got them fixed.

So I just un DS’d a pair of Win like 82 11s and the icey sole is already yellowing around the herringbone pods. It’s my fault for leaving all the paper and whatnot in the box with them all this time. Is there anyway to reverse the yellowing or at least put a stop to it? I’m about to be out of country for a year and worried I’ll comeback to severely yellowed 11s

store them in plastic bags. remove the paper. keep them in a cool and dark place.. after everywear, clean the soles with blue windex and a towel. you cant unyellow easily, but you can prevent it wirh aome precautions.

what your seeing is normal... to unyellow you can google salon 40 (risk being it can eat up the glue if not done properly and its somewhat tedious) or redye the soles light blue.

and some shoes yellow alot easier and quicker than others, even though it all looks the same.

store them in plastic bags. remove the paper. keep them in a cool and dark place.. after everywear, clean the soles with blue windex and a towel. you cant unyellow easily, but you can prevent it wirh aome precautions.

what your seeing is normal... to unyellow you can google salon 40 (risk being it can eat up the glue if not done properly and its somewhat tedious) or redye the soles light blue.

and some shoes yellow alot easier and quicker than others, even though it all looks the same.

I really appreciate your feed back. I spent sometime reading many of your previous posts and it seems like you’re a guru at this stuff. I know I speak for a lot of NTers when I say thanks for spending the time to respond with so much useful info.

Also, does the windex remove the yellowing or just help the clear sole stay blue?

great thread...i just came on here to see how to clean my sneakers and read about 10 pages of 661 pages...i have 2 questions that in sure have been discussed before:

1. i have some Jordan 5s that still look nice, is there anyway i can maintain/prevent the netting on the side/tongue from yellowing? what about the icy soles?...what i read so far is to keep them in the box and remove the paper...also the 1st page of this thread indicated using yellow armor all as a prevantative measure (that post was from 2007 tho and i dont know if the product still exists)

2. i wanted to clean my everyday kyrie 5s and save them for sporadic gym use...theres nothing really wrong with them other than being a little worn...will using laundry detergent, warm water, and a scrub brush be okay?

thanks!

Back
Top Bottom