OFFICIAL STOCK MARKET AND ECONOMY THREAD VOL. A NEW CHAPTER

added some basic options rules to the OP. will continually be adding stuff here and there so feel free to check the OP now and again if you're new/still learning.

Tandem Trader releases tomorrow :pimp: looking forward to it. Should be some good footage and homework on there to study.

Last edited:
took a lotto call spread on PTLA 30-40 Nov 22s for .85. Just a 3 lot. Sounds like they have data coming out and if it's positive it might move. Lotto play for sure. Let's see if this works or I'm burning money. Just $266 worth of risk so I could live with it if I'm wrong.

> Nov 10

before

DDD - 3D Systems
DF - Dean Foods
GOGO - Gogo
WWAV - WhiteWave Foods

after

RAX - Rackspace Hosting

> Nov 11

before

DHI - DR Horton

after

FOSL - Fossil Group

> Nov 12

before

ADT - ADT Corp
BYD - Boyd Gaming
ECA - Encana Corp
M - Macy's
PF - Pinnacle Foods
PLUG - Plug Power
WUBA - 58.com

after

CSCO - Cisco
FUEL - Rocket Fuel
HUBS - HubSpot
JCP - JC Penney
NTAP - NetApp
PLKI - Popeyes Louisiana Kitchen

> Nov 13

before

KSS - Kohls
RWLK - ReWalk Robotics
VIA / VIAB - Viacom
WMT- WalMart

after

AMAT - Applied Materials
JWN - Nordstrom
WB - Weibo Corp

PTLA had a nice little gap up last night to the high 29s but not enough volume for follow through. I have until the 22nd, we'll see what happens.

I'm gonna share my mistake this morning since it's good to learn from. Had a nice entry in FB short today at the first X (w risk to HoD) but did a bad job taking it off at the second X. My plan was to move my stop and risk o/u VWAP and I cut the trade off before that even tested or came into play. Have a plan, follow the plan. I know what I'm doing now, I just need to execute more efficiently. Took the trade off for no real reason and instead of making a nice paycheck, I made $10 net. Had some 74.50 weekly puts that I got in at .58 that are .87 bid now.

View media item 1256204
Some repeat buying in HOV calls past week or so. I grabbed 10 Dec 5s and only got filled on 2 on Jan 5s for .08 and .10, respectively.

Grabbed 5 UPS calls Dec 115s for .29 and 5 SEAS Dec 15 puts for .15.

Doing a little UOA today for some swings. Small sizes since UOA could be a crapshoot.

Grabbed a call condor in AAPL for this week 109-110-111-112 for .29 per 1 lot. did 7. let's see if this catches a bounce a little.

Edit: While SEAS has sold off nicely, my puts haven't done much, reason being, I bought them too far out of the money. Got cheap and as a result I need a bigger move now to proft. Plus side is these could still double easily but the smarter play would've been paying a little more for the 16s or 17s.

Posted a video in OP on voodoo lines and how to set them up on the house. There's no audio though :smh:

Last edited:
^ What strike price did you get for your SEAS puts? I should've seen them tumbling after the splash (heh) Black Fish made.

JCP after close today will be interesting. Same with FUEL after they've taken such a beating so far this year (was at 72 around January, 15 now :lol:)

Quiet in my realm today. Been eyeing QQQ and IYM, has some good Google percentages. Figured since i can't afford Google right now, this is the next best solution

December 15 puts Based. I'm gonna let them ride out a little longer since it's so cheap and I didn't buy that many. Theta would eat these up normally but I've got a .125 average on 10 of them so I'm ok with taking the chance that there's more follow through lower after SSR comes off. 16 or 17 puts I would've been able to exit today for some lunch money. Mine haven't moved honestly.

TWTR was a nice example of short trapping today and why I normally try to avoid shorting in the hole if I missed the initial move. Would rather wait for a lower high and set risk to get in on than chase something lower.

Looked like it was gonna go g/r and they snapped it back.
Really nice move after teasing a complete breakdown.

My AAPL condor is at a great level right now if they expired here. Trying to exit the 109-110 side for .95 but there's still some premium left in them so I may need to wait another day. Max profit is between 110-111. If I leg out, I just need AAPL under 111 to keep the premium on the bear call spread side.

Edit: took the 109-110 long side of the condor off for .90 but the short side isn't looking too hot. Gonna need AAPL to sell off $1.50 by tomorrow's expiration for it to be profitable otherwise I'll be flat on this trade at best. Didn't think AAPL would move as much as it did.

Last edited:
NBG
Not terrible with a stop at or right below 2.04. Not the best play, but you have decent set risk here.
Needs to clear through 2.27 to get hot. Sorry for that stupid box on the left side of the charts. It keeps popping up for some reason when I click share.

Grabbed a call fly in BABA for next week 116-120-124 for .70 per 1 lot. Did 3 of them.

Took my AAPL condor off for a $100 loss net. Nailed the long leg, but the short leg didn't work. Really didn't expect this one to breakout this week.

UPS and HOV have been turds. Don't mind too much since I took them small size. UOA could be a crapshoot.

PTLA has been a turd as well. Options market isn't liquid enough and not enough volume to hold up any of its gaps from this week. Maybe it catches a bid next week, who knows.

Last edited:
Take your time. This isn't easy. Took me 7 months to learn how to trade and I'm still teetering between breakeven, profitability or being down. There's the learning period, and there's the refining execution period. Be patient, be smart, manage your risk and eventually it will click. This is all risk management.

virgin america
do you think this is the next hot stock? everyone raves about their service

Thinking of adding to my DIS holdings in my portfolio.  Star Wars movies just about to start up again next year...Disney Shanghai opening in 2016...I can't see this thing not finishing over $200 by the end of 2016.

The heck is this about?

Asian Stocks Drop as Japan Enters Recession; Bonds Rally

Japanese shares tumbled with U.S. index futures and sovereign bonds rallied after the world’s third-largest economy unexpectedly entered recession. Chinese shares fluctuated and the yuan gained as a link between Hong Kong and Shanghai began, while New Zealand’s dollar advanced.

Japan’s Topix index dropped 2.1 percent by 11:31 a.m. in Tokyo as gross domestic product shrank 1.6 percent last quarter from a year before, missing projections for a 2.2 percent gain. Standard & Poor’s 500 Index (SPX) futures slid 0.6 percent and the MSCI Asia Pacific Index lost 0.8 percent. The Hang Seng Index declined 0.8 percent and the yuan strengthened. The yield on 10-year Japanese bonds fell two basis points and Treasuries rose. The so-called kiwi added 0.8 percent.

Japan’s yen briefly fell to the lowest level since 2007 amid speculation the GDP miss will prompt Prime Minister Shinzo Abe’s to postpone a planned sales-tax increase. As investors gain mutual access to China’s biggest stock-trading venues for the first time, the country’s banks reported the biggest jump in bad loans last quarter since 2005. Weaker outlooks in the world’s second- and third-largest economies underscore the challenge for Group of 20 leaders who agreed at the weekend to boost member output by a collective $2 trillion by 2018.

“It’s official, Japan is now in recession,” Jesper Koll, the head of Japan equity research in Tokyo at JPMorgan Chase & Co., said in a Bloomberg TV interview. “The prime minister in all likelihood is going to say, look, we’re going to reduce the likelihood of Japan falling into recession again next year by taking away the VAT hike. Vote for me, endorse me, to stick through with this policy.”

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-...-low-before-gdp-kiwi-rises-on-sales-data.html

Interesting considering the Nikkei closed at record highs Friday

Thinking of adding to my DIS holdings in my portfolio.  Star Wars movies just about to start up again next year...Disney Shanghai opening in 2016...I can't see this thing not finishing over $200 by the end of 2016.

I've been thinking the same thing about adding more to it. I'm sure my daughter would appreciate it as well.

I'm just keeping an eye out for Hasbro right now. With the talks between them purchasing DreamWorks all but dead, I expect HAS to climb and be solid. With the partnership between them and Disney, should be a solid quarter for them; that Frozen is a killer for both.

> Nov 17

before

JD - JD.com
TSN - Tyson Foods

after

A - Agilent Technologies
URBN - Urban Outfitters

> Nov 18

before

DKS - ****'s Sporting Goods
HD - Home Depot
TJX - The TJX Companies

after

JACK - Jack in the Box
PETM - PETsMART
VIPS - Vipshop Holdings

> Nov 19

before

LOW - Lowes
MNK - Mallinckrodt
SJM - J. M. Smucker
SPLS - Staples
TGT - Target

after

CRM - Salesforce.com
GMCR - Keurig Green Mountain
LB - L Brands
WSM - Williams-Sonoma

> Nov 20

before

BBY - Best Buy
CYBX - Cyberonics
DLTR - Dollar Tree
MBLY - Mobileye

after

ADSK - Autodesk
ARUN - Aruba Networks
GME - GameStop
GPS - Gap
INTU - Intuit
MRVL - Marvell Tech
ROST - Ross Stores
SPLK - Splunk
TFM - The Fresh Market
ZOES - Zoes Kitchen

> Nov 21

before

FL - FootLocker

Thinking about buying some shares in a solar energy company..

Doing some research now but there are so many..

Thoughts?

Solar sector has been pretty iffy as of late. Declining 200 SMA on TAN, pretty much undid all of its gains for this year to net 0 YTD. 2013 might have been too good of a year.

Capture-45-831416250574.png

Those graphs really were interesting JRS. Gonna look into getting back into FSLR.

Got a spam email from InvestorsAlley that the stock market will collapse on January 28th. Calling it Bloody Wednesday. I love these spam emails. Good laugh every time.

GPRO priced it's secondary 10 million shares at $75...always need to be weary of high flying IPOs and secondaries and lockup expirations. This one could have some nice sales heading into the holidays, but who knows. Will continue being volatile.

Back
Top Bottom